Harmen mark 3 to a chubby ?

TFL
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman mark III

Post by TFL » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 6:24 am

zachary193 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 5:12 pm
How do you shake ashes with those steel plates blocking ? I would think that it would be harder to shake with a flat plate over the grates . How low can you dial it down in temperature ? My ds came with a plate for wood fires . You can’t shake it with that plate in or it lifts up and gets ash under it and lets more air in . Can you run the Harmon stoves down under 200 degrees ?
the heavy angles are not actually on the shaker grates, there is a small lip under the fire bricks
that I have the angles resting on, it enables the shaker grates to move back and forth and move the ashes. it sits maybe a quarter inch above the grates, I made a couple of flat bars with square slots
to fit over the top of the upright angle that holds them apart. they sit flush with the outside port and starboard sides of the box so no air escapes around the bed of coals
no problem with running it low right now
been keeping the stove at 275 degrees right now, 35 outside this am and 74 in the house :D

TFL

Post by TFL » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 6:28 am

and I think I learned something new today
after watching all the videos on the chubby, I closed off the air coming into the stove before I shook it up. wallah , no fly ash, always have shook the stove with the vent wide open. that was causing some fly ash to settle on top of the burning coal,
this morning no fly ash and the new coal lit up real quick on the burning coal
should have been doing this all along

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 7:08 am

TFL,
Yes...close the primary before the shake.....another thing I do, is using a poker from the top, pull in the corners of the firebox. I run the Mark II at 275* to maintain 70*without the blower. During this last 2 day 'freeze', we ran it at 350* with the blower ON. Outside temps were 0* to -10*, with heavy wind. If I need to run it below 250*, I switch to 'wood'........personal choice.
Sounds like your fine tuning is getting the Harman where you want it.
Cheers

TFL

Post by TFL » Thu. Mar. 16, 2023 7:58 am

made another mod to the angles I placed in the stove, cut the legs of the angles down another 1/2"
has given me a 10-1/2" opening in the fire box, holding the house at 72-75 degrees and using
about a half bucket less of coal per day.
so shake and load 3/4 of a bucket in the morning and afternoon, seems to work better with the
slightly bigger opening of the fire box.
still haven't installed the dampener in the chimney pipe, next time I need to shut it down
I will make that change and see if it helps any

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Mar. 16, 2023 8:43 am

TFL wrote:
Thu. Mar. 16, 2023 7:58 am
still haven't installed the dampener in the chimney pipe, next time I need to shut it down
I will make that change and see if it helps any
Let us know how it turns out.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”