Clinkers?

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 5:01 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 4:55 pm
http://www.penncoal.com/

Got bit delivered from them.....?
I think not. Looks, burns, and feels like Anthracite.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 5:10 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 5:01 pm
I think not. Looks, burns, and feels like Anthracite.
They delivered it to you tho?

I might want to call them about some bit..that Essex steam train buys bit I know..where they get it I don't know.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 5:17 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 5:10 pm
They delivered it to you tho?

I might want to call them about some bit..that Essex steam train buys bit I know..where they get it I don't know.
I purchased a truckload from them. They in turn arranged bagging and transport and billed me for the entire service. It was delivered to a Farmington CT location where my wife is employed. They offloaded the truck and I picked it up 6 skids at a time and brought it home.

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 5:28 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 4:30 pm
Clinkers are only problematic because of air or feed restriction, a nuisance item, they doesn't indicate poor quality or improper burn- if anything the reverse. Am I right in saying that? Or am I misunderstanding things?
You are correct as far as fused silica/clay clinkers ( these can come from high quality coal , lower quality coal contains rock , higher mineral content etc which find themselves and grow larger) in the layers and structure of coal not just errant pebbles in the batch

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Mon. May. 08, 2023 10:23 am

I just cleaned out the ashes from my Glacier Bay. I found some good size clinkers just above the grate. This explains the airflow problems all season. Also had trouble shaking down the stove uniformly. Never had a problem in all my years burning in this stove until switching to Blaschak 3 seasons ago.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. May. 08, 2023 12:20 pm

Burned Blashak for 4 years now. That’s all the experience I have with anthracite…not much. Never had a problem once I figured things out. The rest were man-made problems. I’m just talking about myself here.

I think next year I’ll start fully cleaning out the stove at least once each year during mid-season. Just as insurance against problems.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. May. 08, 2023 12:33 pm

I concur with Hoytman. I've burned Santa Claus coal on and off , exclusively this season. Zero clinkers this season. First season some..getting used to the stove settings.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. May. 08, 2023 12:34 pm

nut wrote:
Mon. May. 08, 2023 10:23 am
I just cleaned out the ashes from my Glacier Bay. I found some good size clinkers just above the grate. This explains the airflow problems all season. Also had trouble shaking down the stove uniformly. Never had a problem in all my years burning in this stove until switching to Blaschak 3 seasons ago.
Now that you know it can happen, just fish for them once a week. Should be able to feel them with your poker or when shaking seems to give poor results.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. May. 08, 2023 1:00 pm

Yesterday I used up the last bag of 6 tons of Blaschak I bought last year. And I've used many tons of it before - both bagged and bulk in my range and my base heater. I've also used tons of Kimmels and Lehigh. Of those three, I've found that the Blaschak is the least prone to clinker and grow iron "meteorites".

I also find that they all are more prone to clinker in the deep firebed of my base heater than in the range with its shallower firebed. The base heater having a magazine that puts a lot of coal weight on the firebed to compress the coal when it is hot enough that it gets fusible and "sticky".

Back when the range grates were warped, and I could rotate them I'd have to shut the range down about every week or so and dig out the clinkers that were filling the bottom of the firebed.

However, since having new grates recast, I don't have problems with clinkers growing because at least once a day I rotate the triangular grates in both stoves. That chews up and dumps the clinkers before they get too tough.

It's not just brand of coal that causes clinkers, depth of firebed and how hot you run it also contribute.

Paul

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. May. 08, 2023 6:07 pm

The Clinker equation is pretty simple.

Burn coal hotter than its ash fusion temperature, you create Clinkers. For Anthracite the ash fusion temperature is in the 1200 to 1400 degree range.

Here's a small one from my Axeman Anderson. It sometimes spits ones out that are the size of a small Pizza! :o
IMG_0003 (2).JPG
.JPG | 475.4KB | IMG_0003 (2).JPG
-Don

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Mon. May. 08, 2023 9:27 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Mon. May. 08, 2023 6:07 pm
The Clinker equation is pretty simple.

Burn coal hotter than its ash fusion temperature, you create Clinkers. For Anthracite the ash fusion temperature is in the 1200 to 1400 degree range.

Here's a small one from my Axeman Anderson. It sometimes spits ones out that are the size of a small Pizza! :o
IMG_0003 (2).JPG

-Don
Even the children she makes are beautiful...

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. May. 09, 2023 6:20 pm

Ok,.... which one of you guys has been chucking clinkers ?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apparent-meteorite-cra ... 53636.html

I've had some iron slag "meteorites" grow close to this size back when I still had warped grates in the range. :D

Paul

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. May. 09, 2023 8:45 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. May. 09, 2023 6:20 pm
Ok,.... which one of you guys has been chucking clinkers ?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apparent-meteorite-cra ... 53636.html

I've had some iron slag "meteorites" grow close to this size back when I still had warped grates in the range. :D

Paul
My father was killed by a meteorite .

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”