Advice needed going from wood to coal stove

Ottsrx7
Other Heating: Wood chief wood stove

Post by Ottsrx7 » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 10:37 am

I bought my home 2 years ago (York, PA) and it came with an older wood chief stove. This stove does well heating the entire house which is about 2,000 square feet. Growing up, we had a coal stove and it was great! I've come to realize that this wood stove requires a lot of attention (every 2-3 hours) to keep it hot vs what I remember with our coal stove as a kid. The house is a split level built in 1982 so it has some insulation. But I want to get a coal stove and was hoping for a little direction. I don't use the stove for primary heat until Temps drop into the low 30's, above that I use an air source heat pump. I just need advice on what type and size of coal stove to get to replace my wood stove. I plan to use bulk nut coal as I have a dump trailer and live within about an hour or so of anthracite country (I've actually been a member of RAC for a few years where I ride my ATV)

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 10:41 am

Ottsrx7 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 10:37 am
I bought my home 2 years ago (York, PA) and it came with an older wood chief stove. This stove does well heating the entire house which is about 2,000 square feet. Growing up, we had a coal stove and it was great! I've come to realize that this wood stove requires a lot of attention (every 2-3 hours) to keep it hot vs what I remember with our coal stove as a kid. The house is a split level built in 1982 so it has some insulation. But I want to get a coal stove and was hoping for a little direction. I don't use the stove for primary heat until Temps drop into the low 30's, above that I use an air source heat pump. I just need advice on what type and size of coal stove to get to replace my wood stove. I plan to use bulk nut coal as I have a dump trailer and live within about an hour or so of anthracite country (I've actually been a member of RAC for a few years where I ride my ATV)
If you going new Ds , used check marketplace or Craigslist for what’s available than consult us , they also have fully automatic stoves /furnaces most brands of coal stoves will do what’s needed , stay away from any hybrid aftermarket kits ( Vermont castings etc ) multi fuel stoves are awesome you just need a separate ash pit , and fire box for better coal burning

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 10:51 am

Advice? Don't do it. You'll drive the price up. Already decided? Damn. What exactly is current setup?

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 11:52 am

Buy used. Keep an eye out for somebody selling stove with coal and stove pipe. Offer way less than asking. Purchase in spring, summer or fall.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 3:05 pm

There are many possibilities for coal heating appliances.

How does your wood stove heat the whole house ? Is it centrally located where convection is all that is needed ?

Then a manual stove like a Hitzer might be desirable..
https://hitzer.com/our-products/stoves-furnaces/model-50-93

Or perhaps a stoker is more desirable ?
https://leisurelinestove.com/product/ak-110-hot-air-furnace/

Many many options. Good to seek out people's experience.

Which one is best ? For you? Can't narrow it down without seeking to see what you expect from the system besides "something to make house warm" as you can understand.

zachary193
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 5:08 am

ShawnLiNy wrote:
Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 10:41 am
If you going new Ds , used check marketplace or Craigslist for what’s available than consult us , they also have fully automatic stoves /furnaces most brands of coal stoves will do what’s needed , stay away from any hybrid aftermarket kits ( Vermont castings etc ) multi fuel stoves are awesome you just need a separate ash pit , and fire box for better coal burning

I second the DS machine stoves . I like my 160. Advertised as coal only . But still old fashioned multi fuel . Has louvers in the fire box . Re-burn tubes . Heavy built . Bi-metallic damper works great . Priced decent . They have a very nice hand fired selection of various sizes . I would look more into hand fired because of electricity availability in the future or cost .

Attachments

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford

Post by ShawnLiNy » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 9:53 am

zachary193 wrote:
Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 5:08 am
I second the DS machine stoves . I like my 160. Advertised as coal only . But still old fashioned multi fuel . Has louvers in the fire box . Re-burn tubes . Heavy built . Bi-metallic damper works great . Priced decent . They have a very nice hand fired selection of various sizes . I would look more into hand fired because of electricity availability in the future or cost .
I thought the coal only labeling was a recent epa requirement ( but my stove built 89-90 in Ireland and shipped here has a coal only solid fuel placard )but the Waterford comes with the brochure showing air controls for burning peat, Bit , wood and anthracite., definitely worth buying mult fuel capable or buy/fab a spare door and install spinners especially now with so many shortages , not to mention It would’ve been a major struggle trying to keep a coal fire about 20-30 days so far this season and we haven’t started to get warm spells yet

zachary193
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 6:15 pm

Yeah it was recently , I do remember a bunch a hub hub about all stoves even the outside ones .

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 6:54 pm

I thought those Tarm units were pretty nice.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 10:10 pm

Do yourself a favor and just start out with a stoker. You'll end up there or wishing you did.

Transnationalman
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Yes

Post by Transnationalman » Sun. Apr. 02, 2023 2:12 pm

Have you tried adding some stove size anthracite to you wood and cracking your ashpan by 1/8 of an inch or less ? I halved my wood consumption and even today when temps are close to 40 I have a nice blue flame on top of half a pail of stove coal burning on top of some wood coal from this AM small wood fire. It usually last me 6hrs before I have to poke it then add more stove coal on top. I don't have a shaker grate.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Apr. 02, 2023 3:38 pm

Hmmmm, maybe ya scared the original poster off????????????? Ya think???? ;)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”