How hot should I burn

Srosen527
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 Insert
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Srosen527 » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 9:34 am

Hi! How hot should my Hitzer 503 insert burn when it’s -2 out?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 8:00 am

Generally 600F is a good limit for any stove, but it is important to know where to measure that temperature. A quick call to Hitzer will get you their recommendation on max operating temperature, and where to measure it.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 10:09 am

Srosen527 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 9:34 am
Hi! How hot should my Hitzer 503 insert burn when it’s -2 out?
I have a 503. Temps are nice to note. 425-450 F on the top plate, center of the right side middle is where I measure, just about 8" from the hopper lid area.

That's the max. I think. Anything hotter and you'll be changing the dampener slide plate and it will begin eating your hopper metal and other metal.

Not getting warm enough ? Well, that's all the 503 can do really. Its not a Saturn V rocket.

With the 503, when noting a temp. reading, one must note where the temp is being measured; it will vary a lot depending on where the the point of measurement is taken. I use a IR gun.

For the most consistent room temps, service the stove every 3 hrs. Don't go crazy shaking it. With mine and a 2400 sq ft house, the 503 has worked well with negative F outside resulting in 68-70 F temps for those cold spells...for temps above 0 usually able to maintain target temp of 73F is possible.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 12:21 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 10:09 am
For the most consistent room temps, service the stove every 3 hrs.
3 hours.. are you burning wood? You should be able to get steady heat for 8 hours with a moderate burn unless yer over firing it.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 4:12 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 12:21 pm
3 hours.. are you burning wood? You should be able to get steady heat for 8 hours with a moderate burn unless yer over firing it.
When its -2 F outside ... I will go through about 100 lbs a day... tending every 3-4 hrs keeps the inside room temp more constant v. 8 or 12 hr tending times through such cold weather.

When I do a 8 hr tending the inside temp drops a few degrees during time period stove "cools" from the introduction of fresh coal into the firebox which, I estimate, equates to 1/2 of the amt of coal at least.

In such cold weather a 12 hr tending cycle results in swings of 10 degrees inside temp. I'm fine with it but the wifey complains. That results in more frequent attending ...

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 4:48 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 4:12 pm
When its -2 F outside ... I will go through about 100 lbs a day... tending every 3-4 hrs keeps the inside room temp more constant v. 8 or 12 hr tending times through such cold weather.

When I do a 8 hr tending the inside temp drops a few degrees during time period stove "cools" from the introduction of fresh coal into the firebox which, I estimate, equates to 1/2 of the amt of coal at least.

In such cold weather a 12 hr tending cycle results in swings of 10 degrees inside temp. I'm fine with it but the wifey complains. That results in more frequent attending ...
What is the temp differential when she complains? All that hot air should give some benefit in temp rise.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 7:52 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 4:48 pm
What is the temp differential when she complains? All that hot air should give some benefit in temp rise.
0.002 F change is when the wifey complains.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sun. May. 07, 2023 11:31 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Wed. Apr. 26, 2023 4:12 pm

I found this discussion helpful. My Vigilant 2 manual says 700F is an appropriate top temp, so I try to keep it around 650F in coldest weather to be sure it is not too hot. I never questioned the manual instruction (and online too) for 12 hour service, but this year I did try something more like 8 hours. Sometimes I have too many or too large chunks, sometimes I don't--so I don't know if it is the quality of coal (TSC is my only source) or if it can relate to tending practice. In the past, after a couple months I had to clean out the chunks for full operating output, but last year it seemed like 2 or 3 weeks before the rocks began to reduce output. This year I only went 2 or 3 weeks before cleanout--twice--using wood or gas in between.

I think the 8-hour tending may have helped, but this winter I only used coal a few weeks, so I don't have strong evidence about it. I relied on wood and natural gas most of the season. We had a week or so at or below 0 F, when I was burning coal, but the 3-shift tending always dropped the temp down a lot after reloading. Fortunately my home work area and my TV area are on either side of the stove, and these areas never get very cold when the stove is running, even after loading.

At the end of winter, I bought a ventless gas firelog heater in the other side of my daytime areas, and it will heat the house well in fall and spring, and even in some of the winter, but I still enjoy the coal stove, and cooking on it is a trip. But if coal prices don't come down, I may only use it for company (people come in and go straight to the coal stove) and for extended cold periods. I had a ton left over the start of this winter, bought one ton, and still have about a ton now. The stove burns about 60 to 80 pounds of coal a day. I burned half a cord of wood at most.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. May. 07, 2023 12:45 pm

Charles has lots of heating options. Neat

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sun. May. 07, 2023 1:33 pm

Yes. If could still cut wood, that would be free (except for time and energy). My central heat gas dragon uses lots of gas, but probably 40% or more of it goes up the chimney. The smaller ventless gas parlor stove loses no heat up a chimney, and works during power outage--and adds moisture to the air, which makes it seem warmer, but it is probably not enough for really cold weather. The Vig 2 costs more in fuel, whether with wood or with coal, but is wonderfully cozy--and it cooks.

I am atop the highest place in town, which is already on a river bluff (The Mississippi), so we get wind. I have been here 12 years, and twice I have had a new roof put on from tornado damage (insured).

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. May. 07, 2023 4:31 pm

charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Sun. May. 07, 2023 1:33 pm
Yes. If could still cut wood, that would be free (except for time and energy). My central heat gas dragon uses lots of gas, but probably 40% or more of it goes up the chimney. The smaller ventless gas parlor stove loses no heat up a chimney, and works during power outage--and adds moisture to the air, which makes it seem warmer, but it is probably not enough for really cold weather. The Vig 2 costs more in fuel, whether with wood or with coal, but is wonderfully cozy--and it cooks.
And gas and oil and chains and files and wheelbarrow and tarps. I don't think we realize how much it costs. I'm not arguing against wood, it's my main form of heat as well.
I am atop the highest place in town, which is already on a river bluff (The Mississippi), so we get wind. I have been here 12 years, and twice I have had a new roof put on from tornado damage (insured).
And gas,oil mix, bar oil, chains, files, an occasional new bar, a tractor or mower with wagon, and maybe some tarps. I don't think we really quantify the cost of wood. I'm not saying anything against using wood for heating, it's my main source.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. May. 07, 2023 8:21 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sun. May. 07, 2023 4:31 pm
And gas,oil mix, bar oil, chains, files, an occasional new bar, a tractor or mower with wagon, and maybe some tarps. I don't think we really quantify the cost of wood. I'm not saying anything against using wood for heating, it's my main source.
Just get a wood chuck

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”