Hitzer 254 and New To Coal Heating

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Feb. 17, 2023 9:09 am

Yep…looks great.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Fri. Feb. 17, 2023 12:40 pm

Looks warm. You're doing good.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Feb. 17, 2023 4:13 pm

Yer getting a grip on it, keep up the good work!
You'll be a pro operator in short order :)

BigT
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 254
Other Heating: Electric heat pump

Post by BigT » Fri. Feb. 17, 2023 10:21 pm

Thanks guys!!

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 8:49 am

Yes, All looks good. Good Job..... :)

A couple things. 1.) All those magnetic thermometers were made for wood stoves. They are for staying out of the creosote range. So pay no attention to the wording printed on them. No creosote in coal. 2.) When my stove is running where yours is at, my stack temp is down around 100*. Don't get me wrong, your stack temp looks good. I'm just saying. Put the thermometer on the stove body up next to the other one. See if they read the same. Could also be the stack temp has not quite settled down yet, or your damper rod is out a little. The orange in your last picture does look a little hot. I'm assuming it's because of taking the picture in a dark room. Either that, or the fire too has not quite settled down, which would explain the slightly higher stack temp. If I did not have the same exact stove, I would have never known to point out this petty stuff. As our fellow members say, LOOKS GOOD.

BigT

Post by BigT » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 7:48 pm

I put the two thermometers together and they seem to be 25-50 degrees from each other. I did verify before buying that they were for coal as well. I wonder if my flue temp is high due to my height of flue run and draw. Some on here have noticed that I have intense draw.
Those pics from the other day were in fact in the dark with a flash from the phone. I like to see the blue flames in the dark because sometimes they are invisible. Thanks for checking on my progress!

Attachments

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 8:48 pm

BigT wrote:
Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 7:48 pm
I put the two thermometers together and they seem to be 25-50 degrees from each other. I did verify before buying that they were for coal as well. I wonder if my flue temp is high due to my height of flue run and draw. Some on here have noticed that I have intense draw.
Those pics from the other day were in fact in the dark with a flash from the phone. I like to see the blue flames in the dark because sometimes they are invisible. Thanks for checking on my progress!
I have the one on the right in you're pic. Checking with a cheap ir thermometer it was around 75* off around 400*. It also appears to be more off the higher the temp goes. I'm not saying yours will do the same, just beware of the potential.

BigT

Post by BigT » Tue. Feb. 21, 2023 7:05 am

Thanks for the heads up. I can use them for reference and that helps me to adjust before it’s too late.
All three thermometers are accurate today and all read the same “0”
We had company all weekend and I didn’t tend the fire properly. The furnace went ash bound and I recovered but went ash bound again the next day as well. I poked and shook once I knew it was already about to go out so I knew that it was too late but still tried to feed it little by little.
I’m not concerned at all and I gave up just so I can go ahead and clean it properly now and get back to it.
With the sun, the oven, and the stove going, we hit 78 in the house. We had about 18 people over and I announced that their body temps raised our house temp by two degrees and they laughed and said, “ Oh, that’s why you invited us over!”

oliver power
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Feb. 21, 2023 9:23 am

BigT wrote:
Tue. Feb. 21, 2023 7:05 am
Thanks for the heads up. I can use them for reference and that helps me to adjust before it’s too late.
All three thermometers are accurate today and all read the same “0”
We had company all weekend and I didn’t tend the fire properly. The furnace went ash bound and I recovered but went ash bound again the next day as well. I poked and shook once I knew it was already about to go out so I knew that it was too late but still tried to feed it little by little.
I’m not concerned at all and I gave up just so I can go ahead and clean it properly now and get back to it.
With the sun, the oven, and the stove going, we hit 78 in the house. We had about 18 people over and I announced that their body temps raised our house temp by two degrees and they laughed and said, “ Oh, that’s why you invited us over!”
That's all any of us use those magnetic thermostats for, reference.

BigT

Post by BigT » Fri. Jan. 05, 2024 8:49 am

Happy New Year!! Things are off to a great start now that it’s cold enough to burn coal. I started it up awhile ago but it was too warm outside and we were baking inside. I let it go out and waited for it to cool off outside a bit before going again. As you can read in last year’s notes, I over fired a lot. Start up and cruise control have been great this year with 0 over fire.
My furnace is a bit too small for what I’m trying to heat, I “should” go buy the 354 unit but that’s not possible right now. I haven’t used my fan much so now I’m learning how to hit “cruise control “ while using the fan. It’s creating the blue dancing ladies even after about 1.5hrs after tending. From what I recall, the blue flames can mean that I’m wasting heat? Since the flue is closed, am I still wasting the heat or are the flames ok as just a byproduct?

Attachments

IMG_2823.jpeg
.JPEG | 743.2KB | IMG_2823.jpeg

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Jan. 05, 2024 1:46 pm

Yes, there may be some wasted heat up the chimney but generally it’s an insignificant amount until you get the hang of things. I wouldn’t worry about it.

If the room is comfortable take a wall thermometer temperature reading and write it down. That is now your target temperature.

If the room is still too hot by 4-5 degrees then turn the dial down one number. Give the room temperature 8-12 hours to fall and take yet another temperature reading. If it’s still too hot in the room, turn the dial down this time by 1/2 number and give the room another 8-12 hours to stabilize. You should be getting near your target temperature at this point.

If the room is too cold by 4-5 degrees turn the dial up by one number, etc.

Keep those ash door vents barely open until you figure it out and let the dial in back run and maintain the stove. Keeping those ash door vents barely open will help keep the fire fresh.

That looks like a good fire.

BigT

Post by BigT » Sat. Jan. 06, 2024 9:26 pm

Thanks , Bill! Great advice

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Wed. Jan. 10, 2024 12:50 am

Yup, Looks Good :)

BigT

Post by BigT » Fri. Jan. 12, 2024 7:56 am

Thank you, OP!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”