Couple more recent Chubby videos

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Jan. 30, 2023 11:46 am

I'm fairly certain this is the same home and stove that we recently seen another video on the Chubby.

Would be nice to know how many square feet of cabin he is heating. (EDIT: Heating 1000 sq ft.)

Only real issue I see is laying on the floor. Who wants to do that? Especially as we get older.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jan. 30, 2023 1:04 pm

FWIW when I did flossing I never laid down. My stove was not on the floor and I did it thru the vents on the bottom door with a different tool so ash would not come into my house. You can tell when you get ash gone as you see more orange from the burning coal thru the vent holes.

I did not watch both videos but just enough to see the part with him laying down. I dont do much flossing but thats how I did mine if shaking wasnt enough. His stove must be the older model.

Its been talked about before but if I was going to use one of these thru my upper golden years I'd rig up a way to shake it with a motor or at least a way to do it standing up. Getting on the floor gets old as we grow old! I enjoy cobbling things like that anyway.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Jan. 30, 2023 1:52 pm

I was thinking I could do that without laying down as well. Good to hear the flossing can be done with the door closed. I wish I could close my 354's ash pan door when shaking to eliminate some dust in the house. That was the biggest reason I tried to have a door with vents made. I may just take the stove to Dean and let them fit one to the stove anyway. Might even have them add a side door as well after seeing one posted here on the forum recently.

Looking at that Chubby, I think I'd like to try one of those just to see how it would do in my 1350 sq ft. No idea what it's rated for. I'd want a blower model and likely top vent. I'd like whichever vent would give me the most space on top of the stove.

I don't see why a person could raise that stove off the ground some.

I also think it would be interesting to have one built, or extended in height so a taller ash pan could be made and used. Be nice to have one taller and use sort of a "magazine" in the bottom of the stove to funnel the ash down to the pan, which would also allow for more radiant surface of the stove for additional heat. I just like the looks of them and think it would be fun to modify one.

A neighbor not far from me used to burn one. Turns out he's a member here as well.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jan. 30, 2023 3:05 pm

Theres a post on here somewhere of someone who made one taller... I can almost think of his user name, JR something? I could be wrong about the name. I cant remember the how's and why's. A bigger ash area would be nicer but not really worth the effort. My stand under my Jr is just poured cement and painted. Could be made any height. Heavy of course but cheap and solid. I have the full description in a post I made on how I did everything. Round looks good under a round stove.

If you go to the trouble of removing that cursed stove of yours I'd replace it with something else! :lol:

I have zero ash from shaking my Riteway with the bottom door open but Ive read about others that do. Maybe its because I have higher draft??? Courser ash? Unsure why. Only time ash comes out that door is if its open and I get a small puffback which does happen. Im burning coal in it this week because of below 0 temps to save on my wood in another stove.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Jan. 30, 2023 3:47 pm

warminmn wrote:
Mon. Jan. 30, 2023 3:05 pm
If you go to the trouble of removing that cursed stove of yours I'd replace it with something else! :lol:

Why? I’m just now starting to figure out what works best. :lol:

I get very little ash with the ash pan door open even burning low, but you know how it is. Burning hotter there’s even less because of the draft being higher.

My hot burn is very one else’s low threshold, but hotter does help me in that regard. My best times are when the stove is running 375-400. That 400 on the doors, rare as it seems, I can see ash being sucked through the stove in the flames…looks like red sparks within reddish-blue and blue flames.

The more I think about this his stove the more I’m sure a 6” exhaust would help it to work even better…that is, run at lower temperatures with nearly the same mano readings I’m getting now or slightly higher. I’m almost at 6” now anyway….just square and uninsulated.

A Chubby would certainly benefit me with 6” insulated exhaust, clay or metal.

I wonder how tall the Chubby is?

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jan. 30, 2023 4:44 pm

I think the dimensions are on the chubby site.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Wed. Feb. 01, 2023 6:13 am

Yes, this is the same stove in the videos. Videos dad did and now ones the son / in-law did.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”