Settings on a Kozy King 300....???

KozyKingOhio
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Kozy King 300
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: 90% wood 10% coal

Post by KozyKingOhio » Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 6:43 am

I am new to burning Santa Clause nut coal. Getting ready to burn anthracite for just the second time ever......
Anyone with a Kozy King 300? How often do you shake? Do you have the ash door spinner shut, or open a little?
How open is the gap in the shield on the little draft motor controlled by the thermostat? (Mallard 5 farmhouse says open all the way for coal.) I think DS says open around a 1/2".
The last time I burned coal, I think I didn't shake it hard or long enough. The fire was good for about 3 days and then suffocated itself out. (I think?)
Once you get a good fire going, how often do you add coal? Just morning and night???

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated! :D
Thanks

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 6:09 pm

I don't have a Kozy King, but I did run a hand fed furnace for 8 years successfully. I'd be happy to help answer some of your questions.
KozyKingOhio wrote:
Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 6:43 am
Once you get a good fire going, how often do you add coal? Just morning and night???
A "normal" tending schedule is about every 12 hours. In a big stove that should be more than plenty. A "good fire going" should be at least 8 inches deep at its shallowest point, mounded 10-12 inches deep in the center. In a bigger sized furnace that could be 100 to 120+ pounds of coal.

When you shake the ashes at 12 hours, shake until you see a few orange embers falling into the ash pan. After leaving the ash pan door open for a few minutes you should see an orange glow radiating down into the ash pan. Then add coal to bring the level back up to where you started with.

Most of the winter I would only shake and load once per day. I would do it twice during high heat demand days which usually amounted to 12-20 days per winter.

KozyKingOhio

Post by KozyKingOhio » Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 6:41 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 6:09 pm
I don't have a Kozy King, but I did run a hand fed furnace for 8 years successfully. I'd be happy to help answer some of your questions.

A "normal" tending schedule is about every 12 hours. In a big stove that should be more than plenty. A "good fire going" should be at least 8 inches deep at its shallowest point, mounded 10-12 inches deep in the center. In a bigger sized furnace that could be 100 to 120+ pounds of coal.

When you shake the ashes at 12 hours, shake until you see a few orange embers falling into the ash pan. After leaving the ash pan door open for a few minutes you should see an orange glow radiating down into the ash pan. Then add coal to bring the level back up to where you started with.

Most of the winter I would only shake and load once per day. I would do it twice during high heat demand days which usually amounted to 12-20 days per winter.
I wasn't sure about it being mounded in the middle.......I heard once to keep it level, so the air flow was even????

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 6:45 pm

KozyKingOhio wrote:
Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 6:41 pm
wasn't sure about it being mounded in the middle.......I heard once to keep it level, so the air flow was even????
A mound in the center will give you a little extension on burn time and will help recovery after shake down.

KozyKingOhio

Post by KozyKingOhio » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 3:08 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 6:45 pm
A mound in the center will give you a little extension on burn time and will help recovery after shake down.
Thanks for that info......I just started my coal fire, fingers crossed!!
Is there a way to search more members with the Kozy King 300? For example, can I search members who put that type of furnace in their profile???

KozyKingOhio

Post by KozyKingOhio » Thu. Mar. 09, 2023 8:51 pm

I started another thread called "What am I doing wrong?"
I just was wondering on this thread, does anyone else have a Kozy King???

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”