Principles of Heating

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 3:36 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 3:22 pm
Coldhouse,
I think it might be a good idea to monitor how long you leave each stoves ash pan door open. That is, get an idea how long it takes once open to tend stove, record that and then add and record any additional time you leave the door open. Maybe pick a set time for the first tend or two, then the next two maybe add a couple minutes to each stove at tend, then a few more minutes next tend, and so on. Just to see what happens.

That sounds like a good idea. At first I am thinking of leaving door open and watching two things, the stove temperature and the room thermostat temperature. I am thinking that so long as the stove is not getting too hot I will leave door open until the room temperature rises a degree.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 4:29 pm

That may, or may not, even be necessary. Just have to see.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 4:36 pm

Bill, blower door test here on new construction is $700. Don't know if utilities offer it.

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 4:59 pm

Is it mandatory ?

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 5:08 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 4:36 pm
Bill, blower door test here on new construction is $700. Don't know if utilities offer it.
Maybe in other parts of Ohio they may do a blower door test on new construction, but I’ve never even heard of it around here on new construction, but I’m not in big cities either. Locally, in small town America here, it’s nothing I’ve ever seen or heard of, at least not mandatory on new construction that I know of…and I’m familiar with a few builder friends in my county.

Most new construction insulation contractors here just sort of do their thing they normally do and the homes end up being pretty tight and very well insulated these days.

For older homes around here, like the one I sold in my old subdivision, the electric company offered incentives to do the test and add insulation. I’m unsure without actually looking, but I want to say the test was free if we insulated, which we did.

Some places a blower door test may be necessary, but ours was voluntary.

Anyway, don’t want to stray to far off Coldhouse’s topic here. Of course, blower tests and insulation is all relative. :lol:
Last edited by Hoytman on Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 5:11 pm

nut wrote:
Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 4:59 pm
Is it mandatory ?
A blower door test is required on all new construction homes in my county. This is a direct result of horrible build quality.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 5:24 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 11:16 am
Putting on a good hat and a pair of boots in the winter goes a long way towards keeping you warm, and the same concept works on your house.
I know your speaking about a house but it reminded me of this about humans.... The Eskimo's (unsure of correct Alaskan name) have a saying. "If your feet are cold put on a hat." It works for me. They have a lot of short true statements.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 5:53 pm

warminmn wrote:
Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 5:24 pm
I know your speaking about a house but it reminded me of this about humans.... The Eskimo's (unsure of correct Alaskan name) have a saying. "If your feet are cold put on a hat." It works for me. They have a lot of short true statements.
It never helped me. Feet still freeze off in the deer woods even with 2-3 hats and a hood. :lol:

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 6:43 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 5:53 pm
It never helped me. Feet still freeze off in the deer woods even with 2-3 hats and a hood. :lol:
My brother always used to say, "why would I go hunting? Taking off work to get up early to go out in the woods and sit on a wet log is not my idea of fun" haha I always get cold if I don't walk. One year I was doing pushups to keep warm and scratched my eye on a little ground twig. Needless to say I got an eye doctor Bill and zero free meat!

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 7:27 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 6:43 pm
My brother always used to say, "why would I go hunting? Taking off work to get up early to go out in the woods and sit on a wet log is not my idea of fun" haha I always get cold if I don't walk. One year I was doing pushups to keep warm and scratched my eye on a little ground twig. Needless to say I got an eye doctor Bill and zero free meat!
:lol: That would be my luck as well.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 8:08 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 6:43 pm
A bigger hat might have saved your eye and your feet! :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”