Thanks from a Lurker....

ReidH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: AGA 47/10 Cooker, Heartland Oval Cookstove

Post by ReidH » Mon. Jan. 30, 2023 10:05 pm

Hi Rinderciller,

Nice stove. I was reading up on the Salamander stoves back in 2019 while staying in a 300+ yo brick house in the UK. It sure could have used a few of those tiny stoves to take the chill away...

Reid

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 7:31 am

I am late to the game with this thread.
I have a 27 foot camper that I live in when at a property under renovation in SC. I always thought If I were to put in a stove, I wouldn't put it inside the camper. I would put some blocks outside and get to the right height. I would open a section of the wall of the camper or take out a window. I would build a small insulated room to enclose the stove with a door outside. I would service the stove from the outside and benefit from the heat inside. Original thought I had would have been to just remove the second door but I don't know if I would want to lose that access. Well I haven't done that and haven't been there in a couple years. When I am there, I just use a portable radiator type heater that has oil inside it. When alone, I close off half the camper by closing a door and only heat the bathroom/hallway and rear bedroom. That is easily accomplished on low setting. When I have a guest not sleeping in the same room, I open the door, put the heater on high in the hallway. But this is SC and it usually warms up pretty nice during the day and the trailer gets good morning sun.

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 11:17 am

ColdHouse wrote:
Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 7:31 am
I have a 27 foot camper that I live in when at a property under renovation in SC. I always thought If I were to put in a stove, I wouldn't put it inside the camper. I would put some blocks outside and get to the right height. I would open a section of the wall of the camper or take out a window. I would build a small insulated room to enclose the stove with a door outside. I would service the stove from the outside and benefit from the heat inside. Original thought I had would have been to just remove the second door but I don't know if I would want to lose that access. Well I haven't done that and haven't been there in a couple years. When I am there, I just use a portable radiator type heater that has oil inside it. When alone, I close off half the camper by closing a door and only heat the bathroom/hallway and rear bedroom. That is easily accomplished on low setting. When I have a guest not sleeping in the same room, I open the door, put the heater on high in the hallway. But this is SC and it usually warms up pretty nice during the day and the trailer gets good morning sun.
Yeah those oil filled really stabilize the temp swings ( I’ve done a few weeks at a time jan -march in the past, in upstate NY) even a perfectly working forced air system needs that help ,

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford

Post by ShawnLiNy » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 11:20 am

ColdHouse wrote:
Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 7:31 am
Yeah those oil filled really stabilize the temp swings ( I’ve done a few weeks at a time jan -march in the past, in upstate NY) even a perfectly working forced air system needs that help , extend the heated space to the entire underside in that area , when wind blows under them it’s like a heat vacuum, I’ve seen where people use hay bales 2-3 high around the entire perimeter starting in oct or so , than remove in spring , sorry about the double post

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Feb. 01, 2023 6:56 pm

RC, you ready for the polar vortex?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”