The key is

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Jan. 24, 2023 6:33 am

The key is keeping the structure warm.
As some of you know I have mentioned my temperature doesn't change much. My thermometers hover around 70 and the house is pretty comfortable. Outside temperatures have not changed. Low last night 30 high yesterday 36.

This morning I woke up to a 64* first floor. Why?

Yesterday afternoon when my Father in Law got home, he didn't close the door good when he entered the house from the attached garage. It is cold in the garage. The door was open for a couple of hours. It cooled the house down and I didn't do anything to the stove to try to make the house warmer. All night went by and the house never regained the temperature it lost.

What that tells me is my stoves are set to maintain temperature not add additional heat.

House has had great temperature control until yesterday.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Jan. 24, 2023 10:28 am

As it were you had them set to maintain your target comfort temperature. If not then they would have continually increased the temperature in the house and you would have been getting hot all the time.

Had you been running with a thermostat...as soon as the thermostat sensed the cold air coming in from the garage it would have eventually called for more heat. The stove would have been hotter but the house may have only been a small bit warmer than the temperature you found it. Eventually, given enough time...and if the garage was insulated and closed up tight...the stove thermostat (had you had them) would have allowed the stove to equalize the additional "room", however, that's a slow process towards equalization. At that point of equalization the house average temp may be 1-4 degrees lower than your target house temperature...maybe 1-6 degrees lower...just depends on a lot of factors.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Jan. 24, 2023 10:47 am

Hoytman wrote:
Tue. Jan. 24, 2023 10:28 am
As it were you had them set to maintain your target comfort temperature. If not then they would have continually increased the temperature in the house and you would have been getting hot all the time.

Had you been running with a thermostat...as soon as the thermostat sensed the cold air coming in from the garage it would have eventually called for more heat. The stove would have been hotter but the house may have only been a small bit warmer than the temperature you found it. Eventually, given enough time...and if the garage was insulated and closed up tight...the stove thermostat (had you had them) would have allowed the stove to equalize the additional "room", however, that's a slow process towards equalization. At that point of equalization the house average temp may be 1-4 degrees lower than your target house temperature...maybe 1-6 degrees lower...just depends on a lot of factors.
It is pretty nice to have a steady temperature without any extra effort. Shake & fill. I think trying to acquire fast warming results in wasted fuel. This morning I did leave ash pan door open for about an hour when I filled the stove. I didn't mess with the damper. I got the coal in the stove going where I normally just shake and fill. Last I checked a few minutes ago temp was still only 66. I think this incident shows that the stoves simmering as they are, are probably as efficient as they can be to meet my desired outcome.

I think it is easier to maintain a desired temperature than it is to raise it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 24, 2023 11:01 am

By God, I think you're catchin on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”