HOLY CRAP IT's DONE!!! and No One Got Killed or Maimed!!

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Aug. 23, 2008 11:58 pm

WOW!! What a job that was! The Mark III is in the basement!! WOOHOO!! :dancing: :up: :cheers: :band:

This is how it got done today. I wouldn't recommend this method to anyone with functioning brain cells! :lol: :D
Coal stove rigging 005.jpg

ATV outside porch. Winch line thru house, thru snatch-block & 180* down stairs. Wood was placed on door jambs after 2 doors removed to keep winch from sawing thru.

.JPG | 247.2KB | Coal stove rigging 005.jpg
Coal stove rigging 004.jpg

Extra strap to hold in place while we examine the stud for impending catastrophic failure, & I screw around with camera!

.JPG | 265.3KB | Coal stove rigging 004.jpg
Coal stove rigging 003.jpg

Strapped a snatch-block to 100 year old solid pine stud with a ratchet strap to line up ATV winch cable above the 2-wheeler with 530 lbs of Harman on board.

.JPG | 257.3KB | Coal stove rigging 003.jpg
I had the wife run the winch in short bursts to lower to the next stair. Only took 15 minutes once we got to the first stair. The first one is so close to the wall that you can't break back the 2 wheeler. Me & my brother did alot of prying, sweating & swearing to get it on the first step. After that, it was cake.

Th only casualty of the day was the tire on the 2-wheeler. I blew off the rim while I was trying some stunt maneuvers in basement to get it away from the stairs. :lol:
Coal stove rigging 006.jpg

BOOM! Tore tire right off bead! Nice work!

.JPG | 255.8KB | Coal stove rigging 006.jpg

Look at all that coal......I'M READY! ( but don't bring on the cold just yet... I like summer :shh: )
Coal stove rigging 008.jpg
.JPG | 260.3KB | Coal stove rigging 008.jpg
I actually got something done this weekend for once. :drunk: :clap:

vtec350

Post by vtec350 » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 12:50 am

Congrats. Smitty :shots: :cheers:

Ahh, The the crazy things we do to get our stoves/boilers into the basement :lol: My K-6 was hanging from a Kabota bucket by a tow strap, all 1000 lbs. dangling in the air down the hatchway. :woot: :doh:

Dave

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 1:42 am

Good job! Glad the stove arrived at the final destination with no injuries. I don't envy you guys with narrow stairwells at all. My parents house is that way and the one thing that I made sure of when I built my house was to have 4 ft wide stairs and all doors had to be 36". I figured it was planning ahead for when I am old and in a wheelchair I can still get around in my house.
Get her hooked up we want to see fire!

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 6:48 am

Wooohooooo! Good going! Ain't it nice that gravity never sleeps?

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 7:35 am

Nice job.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Other wise he'll have to listen to the wife ;)

billw

Post by billw » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 7:57 am

Great job smitty. Not getting someone else hurt has been in my head the entire time I've been working on my EFM. As far as my own safety is concerned, well, if I haven't bled on a project at least twice I did something wrong.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 8:28 am

Don't try this at home and you didn't hear this from me :P , Spray a little ether, hairspray or other flammable that can be sprayed in a fine mist into the tire and throw a match at it. You might want to experiment here with quantity to be safe and slowly increase the amount of spray until you get enough pop to get it back on the bead. I'm assuming its tubeless.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 9:12 am

Mr Murphy is always on the job!
Put a strap or rope down the centerline of the tire and tighten, then add air.
This forces the bead out and allows you to fill the tire with normal air pressure.
Be sure to release the constraint as soon as the bead is set.
Works on all size tires.
You can also get the foam filled never go flat tires!

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 9:46 am

Nice job, Smitty! :D

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 10:22 am

Richard S. wrote:Don't try this at home and you didn't hear this from me :P , Spray a little ether, hairspray or other flammable that can be sprayed in a fine mist into the tire and throw a match at it. You might want to experiment here with quantity to be safe and slowly increase the amount of spray until you get enough pop to get it back on the bead. I'm assuming its tubeless.
I have seen this method work well, I have also seen someone blow a 20" hole in the tread of a huge loader tire using this method. Granted, it did bead the tire, but it also blew all the windows about of my father's garage.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 10:25 am

Thanks guys! :up: I've been dreading this for weeks, but it worked out perfectly. I had to use my brain though -- that was tough! :lol: Had alot less people present than planned -- just me & my brother & the wife got home from work right as we were getting the 2-wheeler to the edge of the first step. We had to pry the wheels to the edge of every step, then have the wife tap the winch button to lower. The stud was making me nervous ( was watching it twist & flex under the weight -- & we both were in the line of fire if it were to bust! ) so I nailed a piece of pressure-treated 2 x 6 scrap across all the studs. That wood was so hard it was bending all the nails!! That made me feel a bit safer! :D :lol:
Richard S. wrote:Don't try this at home and you didn't hear this from me :P , Spray a little ether, hairspray or other flammable that can be sprayed in a fine mist into the tire and throw a match at it.
I learned that one from my grandfather - works great on stubborn beads! ;) I did it last year on a snowblower tire that was impossible to get back on -- took a few tries, & I had the bead ablaze :lol: but it eventually worked. :up: If my air hose won't reach, that'll be the next step.

Yeah, it's a big relief -- I was even tossing around the crazy :crazy: idea of dropping $1,700 on one of those battery-powered stair-climbing handtrucks :shock:, just to make this problem go away. I started to think, that money would be better spend on a BULKHEAD! I want to get some parts from an old scissor-lift & make a hydraulic elevator wired to an electric motor, & be able to slide in movable stairs. That's next years project. ;)

That ATV is great -- you can play on it, & you can get impossible jobs done with ease. It's a Polaris Sportsman 800 (parallel twin cylinder) -- has some SERIOUS power! It's rated for 1500lb towing capacity & can pull waaay more than that if you want to! :D

coalmeister

Post by coalmeister » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 11:04 am

Good job! Now it's Miller Time baby! I bet this stove will be a lifetime resident of that basement, or maybe a cutting torch job in 50 years :D

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 11:08 am

You are absolutely correct!! :yes: :funny:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 11:12 am

Did you sell the Mark I...I can't remember.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 12:17 pm

Yeah -- I put it on Craigslist a couple months ago for $1000. A lady from Albany, NY drove out here to pick it up less than a week after I listed it. Not one phone call from anyone local. Most people around here have no clue about coal, which just means MORE FOR ME! :lol:

In todays paper, there was a giant 2-page article on a stove shop in Shrewbury (showing a crowd of people in panic) and in the entire article, complete with pictures of wood stoves & stats on pellet costs, the word "COAL" was not mentioned ONCE!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”