Anthracite for sale

Ratherluckythangood
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354

Post by Ratherluckythangood » Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 10:07 pm

Yes it’s a blower model. The damper rod is actually fake. There is no dampening mechanism built in. It does have the angled baffle

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 10:15 pm

I edited both above posts again. Might want to reread them.

After taking a much closer look at that stove than before I’ve decided that stove is relatively very new. $700 was a dang steal for a new “normal” 354, let alone a custom built stove. Lucky you!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 10:21 pm

Ratherluckythangood wrote:
Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 10:07 pm
Yes it’s a blower model. The damper rod is actually fake. There is no dampening mechanism built in. It does have the angled baffle
If it is a blower model still them I assume it still blows air out just above the doors like normal 354’s?

A fake damper rod and has the baffle. I’ll be…

Now I’m wondering if it has the heat exchanger in the top like other 354 blower models, or is the top radiant and is the firebox completely open so you can see the step top from inside the stove?

Sounds like if the damper rod is fake that it’s a radiant top. If so…Shazaammm! That’s exactly what I would want because that means the top of the stove gets much hotter than normal 354 blower model stoves.

Very interesting stove you have there.

See…since I idle my stove so low all the time…even to sub-zero temperatures my stove top never gets hotter than 175F, which means I can’t boil water AND I cannot cook off it it…something I really wanted to be able to do here in the country if the power went out.

Sorry. I don’t mean to side track or hijack your thread, but there are so many ways that stoves design could benefit me.

1. My clearance in front of the stove isn’t to code. With a side loading door (wood) I’d never have to worry about a log rolling out.

2. Could boil water and cook off of it.
3. Ash pan door vented.
4. Ash pan door opening on correct side for me.
5. Removable ash lip
6. I can think of more for this one and a few more. :lol:

Ratherluckythangood

Post by Ratherluckythangood » Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 10:30 pm

It is a false top i guess you would call it. The blower is on the lower back and pulls air and pushes it up through and out the front above the doors. Top never gets that hot. Can push serious heat with the blower though

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 11:03 pm

Then yes, it still has the heat exchanger in the top just like other blower model 354’s. Interesting. If you don’t mind take some readings with a magnet thermometer and/or an infrared temperature gun if you have one and compare temps on the very top of the stove as well as on the step and compare those temps to those taken just below the fake damper rod just above the doors. Will be interesting to see your temperature variations from top to front of stove.

Again, that is a dandy stove design you have there…and man what a deal you got. Good for you! I am happy as heck for you. :yes:

Oo-v-oO
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ashley 7150-F
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut/Stove

Post by Oo-v-oO » Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 9:17 pm

My issue has been just finding bagged nut Anthracite for sale in central NH. I have been using Tractor Supply but I cleaned out everything they had within 100 miles or so of me earlier this year and it doesn't look like they are going to be getting any more this season. I have about 3 weeks of bagged coal left then some in 55 gallon drums from a basement cleanout but not enough to make it through the year and our Ashley is the sole source of heat for our home.
Looks like I am going to need to make a trip up to Littleton sometime soon where a supplier is listing bagged Blaschak for $10.42 a bag. Hope they don't sell out before I make it there.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 10:45 pm

I think I would burn the barrels first to make sure it is good. Wouldn’t be good to burn up all the food bagged coal and then get into and need the barrel coal only to find out it doesn’t burn well. Might save you some headaches to be sure of how it burns. Peace of mind goes a long, long way.

Oo-v-oO
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ashley 7150-F
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut/Stove

Post by Oo-v-oO » Wed. Jan. 18, 2023 4:23 pm

Oh, I have been using it, no issues. Some of it should probably be sifted for fines, but it isn't too bad.

Last season I didn't have to buy any coal and still had some left over from a basement cleanout. Not so fortunate this season.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Jan. 18, 2023 5:05 pm

Glad you’ve burned some of it then. Better to know before you need it.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Mar. 03, 2024 8:58 pm

Ratherluckythangood wrote:
Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 9:47 pm
View recent photos.png

This is it. Got bored so I didn’t wait until tomorrow
I’ve had some information I’ve learned and have been holding onto for a few months now.

Did you send me additional pictures of this stove? I think you did, but I can’t locate them. Would you mind sending them to me again? I need pictures of both sides and the stove legs, if it has any legs? Also, a picture of any tag that might be on the back…which will most likely give away what I have to tell you about your stove.

I’d like to see these pictures before I share what Dean at Hitzer shared with me. I think there’s a couple things you might be interested in hearing.

EDIT:
You did pm me at least one picture because I just found the pm. However, the room was too dark to see stove details. Blue flames were nice though. I need some pictures with better lighting…sides and tag on back if it has one.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Mar. 03, 2024 9:25 pm

Let’s put it this way…I have it on good authority that your stove is NOT a 354 double door with rear vent. It is indeed a different model altogether I believe from my conversation with Dean, but I need to see pictures of the sides and legs first…the tag picture will confirm what Dean told me. Pictures inside the stove would be nice also.

Please pm me the pictures and then we’ll start a new thread dedicated to your stove model. I can post your pictures in that new thread, with your permission, of course.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”