Free wood

Paisan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. 1600 Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut&pea

Post by Paisan » Thu. Jan. 12, 2023 7:53 pm

Here's the story, I have a few neighbors that have endless supply of firewood. And they offered me to help myself, mostly cheery and oak. I've been burning the wood in my DS 1600 circulator for a few weeks. My DS only air control is down bellow the grates. So controlling the burn is a pain in the butt. I contacted DS and they can send me a new front door that has air control knobs. My thought is the new door will help my DS become a better wood stove? the new door isn't cheap of course. I guess I'm wondering if the juice would be worth the squeeze?? What says guys??

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Thu. Jan. 12, 2023 8:11 pm

Or drill 3/8 hole and add spinners to your current door ( if you don’t like it don’t use it ( but for wood you’ll love it

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Jan. 12, 2023 8:17 pm

If you can afford the new door I'd go that route. (said by someone that would drill his holes cuz he is cheap).

I think you said in a different post the new door would have a smaller window to allow the spinners, but that could be someone else.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Jan. 12, 2023 8:35 pm

Why do we keep starting wood burning threads in the wrong section? I don't really care but my ocd keeps banging on the keyboard.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Jan. 12, 2023 8:40 pm

In the brochure, it says this stove has "automatic secondary oxygen". Any idea.what that means?

Paisan

Post by Paisan » Thu. Jan. 12, 2023 8:56 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Thu. Jan. 12, 2023 8:40 pm
In the brochure, it says this stove has "automatic secondary oxygen". Any idea.what that means?
ya it has a secondary air channel of sorts. It helps when i'm using coal. But not much help with wood.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 2:14 pm

How much is the door ? What is cheap for one is expensive for another.

Was a ROI analysis performed ?

Paisan

Post by Paisan » Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 10:21 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 2:14 pm
How much is the door ? What is cheap for one is expensive
$200

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 10:44 pm

Paisan wrote:
Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 10:21 pm
$200
ROI 2 weeks.

Tough call .. kek

ShawnLiNy

Post by ShawnLiNy » Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 11:02 pm

Paisan wrote:
$200
20bgs of coal now ( definitely worth buying for 200- I have all of the stuff to make my own ,( if my stove didn’t have it already) and I would buy a second door for 200- , 4-600 I’d be drilling my own, 20 days of wood burning and you break even

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 12:11 am

Paisan wrote:
Thu. Jan. 12, 2023 7:53 pm
Here's the story, I have a few neighbors that have endless supply of firewood. And they offered me to help myself, mostly cheery and oak. I've been burning the wood in my DS 1600 circulator for a few weeks. My DS only air control is down bellow the grates. So controlling the burn is a pain in the butt. I contacted DS and they can send me a new front door that has air control knobs. My thought is the new door will help my DS become a better wood stove? the new door isn't cheap of course. I guess I'm wondering if the juice would be worth the squeeze?? What says guys??
Did DS Stoves (formerly DS Machine) happen to call the replacement door a New Style Champion door? That was an out of production basement stove model that was sold as a coal/wood combo stove back when that was legal to call it that. Someone posted on these forums many years ago about getting one of those doors from DS and it fit the DS 1400-1500-1600 circulators models, which are also out of production. I have a DS1400 and don't see how you'd easily retrofit air intake. The door glass takes up nearly all the door area. Glass area was much smaller on the New Style Champion door and it comes with intake twirlers. For wood, I suppose that you'd have to disconnect the bimetallic flap in the back. Maybe stick a paperclip or something to get a tiny amount of under fire air.

The last time I bought replacement glass at DS for my DS circulator, I believe it was about $70. I wouldn't doubt that it's closer to $100 now. I saw a New York coal stove shop selling it online for well over $100. A new door with new glass and gasket for $200 doesn't sound too bad. I've meant to call them to see if they had any NSC doors left. The Circulators do have a tiny bit of over fire air bleed routed above the fire, but not enough to matter with wood burning. Great for preventing most puff backs with coal though. As they come, the DS Circulators would be the world's worst wood stove.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 12:01 pm

Paisan wrote:
$200
You could buy a new drill motor and set of bits for less. :D

Paul

ShawnLiNy

Post by ShawnLiNy » Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 2:09 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 12:01 pm
You could buy a new drill motor and set of bits for less. :D

Paul
Yeah but have an entire spare with glass intact for 200- is too tempting

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 5:23 pm

Like I previously posted, there's really no room to do a proper drill job on the DS Circulator doors.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 7:52 pm

Or you could get some of those cast vents that fit where the firebricks are and let more air in from the bottom that way.

Did the stove come with a wood plate to partially cover the shaker grates?

Have you tried closing the bottom vents completely after you get a good fire established and forcing the stove to draw through the secondary and air wash?

I have an old DS Machine Basement Stove with the New Style door. The spinner knobs on it are purely ornamental. There is no air passage through the door. That’s my I put the cast vents in where the fire bricks are.

This pic is not my stove just an example of the cast vents I’m talking about.

Attachments

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”