zachary193
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Fri. Jan. 13, 2023 3:51 pm

HandFire wrote:
Fri. Jan. 13, 2023 9:30 am
I have a DS 110 with a fair amount of tonnage through it. 12 hour ash tending is best to keep an active flexible fire. You've already seen the results of ash build up around the sides and corners which takes extra tending. You're shaking too much if you get bone or unburnt coal in your pan. Try taking a 1/2" copper pipe 2 ft. Long with a 10 gauge steel wire run through. Bend the poker end 90° with about 5 inches showing. The hand end bend 4 inches flat to the outside and tape with foil tape. You now have a now have a riddler that will poker, scrape and vibrate ash from under the grate with minimal disturbance to the fire bed. Drilling 12 holes in a front to back pattern takes a minute or two. Do this on a dieing bed or between 24 hour shake.
I have a piece of flat stock that I have bent around in a 90 that I go from the top in the corners and the front with . Works well , although I could see maybe going through the bottom might be easier . I usually wiggle the corners and front and shake it good . Most of it comes out . Would you post a picture of this flosser you talk about ?

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Fri. Jan. 13, 2023 3:56 pm

JoshuaPowers wrote:
Fri. Jan. 13, 2023 3:17 pm
You are correct. The wrong information that I received was from somewhere other than the DS book. Maybe a email from a dealer or something. Anyway sorry I continued the transfer of bad info.

Not speaking specifically but sounds like your chimney dosent pull as much as mine does . I am going to put a manometer and a MPD damper in . I just hate the thought of shutting it down .Especially with the work schedules lately and overtime . I’m not burning an excessive amount of coal but I could save a good bit if I did . I want a MPD because baros and wood scare me .

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Fri. Jan. 13, 2023 4:03 pm

zachary193 wrote:
Fri. Jan. 13, 2023 3:56 pm
Not speaking specifically but sounds like your chimney dosent pull as much as mine does . I am going to put a manometer and a MPD damper in . I just hate the thought of shutting it down .Especially with the work schedules lately and overtime . I’m not burning an excessive amount of coal but I could save a good bit if I did . I want a MPD because baros and wood scare me .
Keep an eye on the creosote and it would be fine. My pos baro didn't fall out with either of my big chimney fires. Besides, it burns out faster with the extra air.

HandFire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 110
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by HandFire » Fri. Jan. 13, 2023 6:39 pm

zachary193 wrote:
Fri. Jan. 13, 2023 3:51 pm
Would you post a picture of this flosser you talk about ?
Try to avoid disturbing the coal bed from above when possible. It just slows it down. Going in from the ash pan door is less likely to disturb the fire and in the case of a near out fire is about the only thing that will bring it back. These DS stoves can be run under 200° top temp with proper draft control and this tool will keep you going down to the 170s where a shake of the grate would kill it. The big tool I made out of 1/2" round stock and had to once free up my grates on a hot burn from a clinker.

Attachments

2023-01-13 16.28.56.jpg
.JPG | 215.9KB | 2023-01-13 16.28.56.jpg

HandFire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 110
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by HandFire » Fri. Jan. 13, 2023 6:53 pm

zachary193 wrote:
Fri. Jan. 13, 2023 3:56 pm
I want a MPD because baros and wood scare me .
Install a tee in your pipe and use a Field Controls RC when you run coal. Then remove and cap the tee when you burn wood. I can't get enough draft control with just an MPD so I use a baro for my limit and fine tune with the MPD. A baro smooths out the burn soo well if you have high draft issues.

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Fri. Jan. 13, 2023 8:47 pm

HandFire wrote:
Fri. Jan. 13, 2023 6:39 pm
Try to avoid disturbing the coal bed from above when possible. It just slows it down. Going in from the ash pan door is less likely to disturb the fire and in the case of a near out fire is about the only thing that will bring it back. These DS stoves can be run under 200° top temp with proper draft control and this tool will keep you going down to the 170s where a shake of the grate would kill it. The big tool I made out of 1/2" round stock and had to once free up my grates on a hot burn from a clinker.
I never was at the point of loosing a fire yet . I can run in the 200s stove top with a little top air in warm weather . Currently with Temperatures I. The 30s to teens I’m keeping the stove top around 350-400. The higher I turn the regulator the more draft . Assuming once I get a Mano plumbed in and some type of dampner installed especially when it’s windy . The ds regulator does a fine job of keeping up with regulating it very well .it just seems the higher I go the more prevalent the blues are . 22 feet of 8.5x13 liner it does draft very well . How well ? I don’t have a Mano set up so I can’t really judge that yet . Most of the trouble I was having with shaking in balmy weather was shaking too much , more of a vibratory and rattle required . I do like your fancy tool though I’m going to have to make me one of them .

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”