Phurnacite or other compounded smokeless fuels

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 11:38 am

We have a tremendous need for similar products here in the us ( it would open the market for those far from coal country ) and fill the void left by our supply being sent around the globe ( 1/4 anthracite/ 1/4 bituminous dust mixed with a combination of carbonized saw dust , corn , nut shells , any the other million burn able waste products ) determined by region of production . Obviously coal and paper have vastly different burn times ( but when ground to a slurry compressed and dried they make an effective heat source , I played around with a version of this because I had a massive pile of fines chips years ago ) don’t have a hydraulic press and just getting the paper back to the loose cellulose stage is not a simple task at home , I found a bunch of cardboard paper tubes to hold the mixture while drying , they were thick walled ( think they held rolls of cloth ) definitely doable if you scaled up and had a heated /dehumidifing method of drying. As with all my other projects my extremely short attention span had me move on to other things 😳

Attachments

D3F2AB12-AC83-42E3-BE46-FEACA46B82F5.png
.PNG | 1.6MB | D3F2AB12-AC83-42E3-BE46-FEACA46B82F5.png

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 1:55 pm

They running out of coal in the UK or something ?

I don't see a need in the USA for such products.

Sounds like a guy made something and went on a marketing spree .. like guy selling cranberry

Blackburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Dunsley Highlander
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut

Post by Blackburn » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 4:11 pm

Hello,

It surprises me that you folks don't have these products in the US. Branded as 'smokeless fuel' here. There's quite big market for them in the UK. Generally, they're all made of crushed anthracite and pet coke fines (in different percentages) then bound together with a binder to form an egg, or pillow shape. Some burn hotter than others, but in my experience don't give that superb radiant heat you get from anthracite.

They're pretty good if I'm honest, and last a long time. Price varies massively though. Phurnacite is outrageously expensive, similar products are available for a lot less money. I use them now and again, mainly when burning for a day or two, rather than 24/7 for weeks on end. They burn to a fine ash dust, rather than the grainy ash that drops from natural anthracite.

Reckon they would be quite popular with you folks, perhaps more so in the slightly warmer states, or shoulder season, for example. Plenty of people run boilers that heat their house with smokeless and no issues.

Cheers,

David.

ShawnLiNy

Post by ShawnLiNy » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 4:21 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 1:55 pm
They running out of coal in the UK or something ?

I don't see a need in the USA for such products.

Sounds like a guy made something and went on a marketing spree .. like guy selling cranberry
dude 500- Aton and no availability besides tractor supply ( who’randomly Have it) there is exactly 1 place to purchase coal in 40 miles of me ? You must live on top of mine . No one stocks anthracite because it can only be used by a coal stove ( these combo fuels can be used anywhere wood can be use provided you elevate slightly)
Coal isn’t available anywhere in the us besides states that surround Pa

Blackburn

Post by Blackburn » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 4:26 pm

Hi Shawn,

You're joking right? Are you saying the mines in Pennsylvania won't ship the coal to other states, or just the ones next door, etc?

David.

Blackburn

Post by Blackburn » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 4:27 pm

In other words, you can buy coal in Montana, for example?

David.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 4:35 pm

There likely are no coal retailers in many states. Florida, Texas, LOL

I don't live in a state boarding Penn....many members don't.

I have no problems getting coal. I see members complaining of TS supply issues. They are not the only retailer of coal but they do allow for single bag sales which is nice to have.

If no coal supply by you and the demand is there, ya got a business to start up ! What ya need to sell coal ? Not much. Or get your coal in the big semis that provide a 7 yr supply of it per trip...some have tried to combine a load to split up...never saw any successful because members of that place had coal access already.

ShawnLiNy

Post by ShawnLiNy » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 4:53 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 4:35 pm
There likely are no coal retailers in many states. Florida, Texas, LOL

I don't live in a state boarding Penn....many members don't.

I have no problems getting coal. I see members complaining of TS supply issues. They are not the only retailer of coal but they do allow for single bag sales which is nice to have.

If no coal supply by you and the demand is there, ya got a business to start up ! What ya need to sell coal ? Not much. Or get your coal in the big semis that provide a 7 yr supply of it per trip...some have tried to combine a load to split up...never saw any successful because members of that place had coal access already.
dam there goes my plans for the Miami branch 😳, can you buy charcoal in fla ? I see people from Maryland, WV , georgia , Indiana all posting on facebook begging for help getting fuel because no one can help or find trucks even if they have the cash for an entire load . Luckily I don’t personally have an issue because I have fuel , but if I did NEED coal Today there is only one retailer available , some places Walmart Lowe’s carry it , a multi use briquette cheaper than charcoal with way more btus would definitely have a market here in the us . Even in Miami

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 5:28 pm

ShawnLiNy wrote:
Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 4:53 pm
can you buy charcoal in fla ?
pretty sure charcoal is a highly sought after commodity in Fla.. Gators play, need it

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 5:30 pm

Freight is the price raiser of anything right now. I may never see cheap coal here again. I'd burn the mentioned fuel if I could get it at a reasonable price.

ShawnLiNy

Post by ShawnLiNy » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 5:52 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 5:28 pm
pretty sure charcoal is a highly sought after commodity in Fla.. Gators play, need it
Good point , so you agree a smokeless, flavorless , 2-3 x the btus and 8-12 hrs of exact same temperature would be a product Americans would use ! It is already a worldwide commercially available commodity and locally manufactured ( fla could use carbonized orange peels , palm stalks , rice hulls , whatever plant you have can be baked in low oxygen oven and make charcoal) than compress with coal ! ) all of the other 90 % of worlds population use a similar solid fuel and most have their own coal mines but if you can turn 1 ton of coal into 4 -6 tons of fuel that just smart use of available materials

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 5:56 pm

You can always make your own. :D
Coal cakes.

Paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 5:56 pm

I highly doubt mixing anthracite with anything can make it better than it already is. Millions of years of nature mixing and compressing it on its own is as good as it’s going to get.

ShawnLiNy

Post by ShawnLiNy » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 6:03 pm

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 5:30 pm
Freight is the price raiser of anything right now. I may never see cheap coal here again. I'd burn the mentioned fuel if I could get it at a reasonable price.
plus it’s the perfect crisis fuel ( all local except for anthracite ) heat and cook electric Free ( look how popular pellets are and pretty useless in 10years and always need power ( which we have here we are definitely lucky to have consistent electricity

ShawnLiNy

Post by ShawnLiNy » Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 6:06 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Wed. Dec. 28, 2022 5:56 pm
I highly doubt mixing anthracite with anything can make it better than it already is. Millions of years of nature mixing and compressing it on its own is as good as it’s going to get.
who said improve the coal ? Make the coal available to more and easier to access and transport , you’ll have to notify the Entire world what they’ve been using for 50 years heat and cooking will never work .

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”