Are you ready for this arctic blast???

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 9:43 am

It got down to - 23F here. Luckily the high winds died down early in the night. Hate to think what the windchill temps got down to before it quit. :o

Ran both stoves pretty hard and they went through almost twice as much coal as usual.

Paul

Donb
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning
Coal Size/Type: Nut in both
Other Heating: Propain

Post by Donb » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 9:59 am

Thought I’d check in see how everybody else is doing. Here just east of Saratoga Springs, NY it got down to -18f overnight. A good wind most of the time too. My beloved Chappee boiler kept this old 1793 farm house toasty all night, woke up to 73f at 7am. Boiler outlet is 170f, return us 160f. I’m burning from the 10 tons of $50/ton stove coal I got from a long gone dealer near Schuylerville . The little Warm Morning in the kitchen keeps it at a nice 75 with the 4 tons of free nut I found last spring.
So my wife is comfortable and I’m truly ecstatic! Had to tell someone, anyone, that ‘gets it’.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 10:05 am

Small world Donb. :D

Just got off the phone with the wife. She's at our Saratoga house taking care of it, plus two snowbird neighbor's houses. -17 F during this cold snap. Nice luck with those coal finds.

Paul

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 12:52 pm

50 degrees tomorrow then 40s and 50s as far as i can see out ahead. I may have coal left over this year in spring. I still have 3 ton left out of 4.5 ton supply.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 5:01 pm

Donb wrote:
Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 9:59 am
Thought I’d check in see how everybody else is doing. Here just east of Saratoga Springs, NY it got down to -18f overnight. A good wind most of the time too. My beloved Chappee boiler kept this old 1793 farm house toasty all night, woke up to 73f at 7am. Boiler outlet is 170f, return us 160f. I’m burning from the 10 tons of $50/ton stove coal I got from a long gone dealer near Schuylerville . The little Warm Morning in the kitchen keeps it at a nice 75 with the 4 tons of free nut I found last spring.
So my wife is comfortable and I’m truly ecstatic! Had to tell someone, anyone, that ‘gets it’.
Fine over here..power went out so inside temps dropped to about 55F until power came back on..will take a few hrs to get temps back up. No water pipe issues. All is well. Good to hear by you its OK.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 5:02 pm

k-2 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 12:52 pm
50 degrees tomorrow then 40s and 50s as far as i can see out ahead. I may have coal left over this year in spring. I still have 3 ton left out of 4.5 ton supply.
used 1.5 tons ? Ya live in a porta-potty ?

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 11:14 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 04, 2023 5:02 pm
used 1.5 tons ? Ya live in a porta-potty ?
I usually use about 4 ton a yr and the first ton by jan1st. But this yr has been warm except for right around xmas and just last2 days but today back to 50. 40 ad 50 degree days i dont use much at all. looks like thats the case next 2 weeks. House is 3000sf and 100yrs old. Coal use keeps going down from when i started 20 yrs ago when i used closer to 6 ton. Not sure if thats from insulation additions or warmer weather,or both. I just checked my supply ,im sure i have more than half left.
Last edited by k-2 on Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 11:53 am

Maybe it’s really “Global warming” or “Climate Change”…yeah that’s it, “climate change”…

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 11:53 am

…the normal cyclic changes of the earth.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 11:57 am

But yeah, over all our winters have been warmer since 76/77 and 77/78. Must be that climate change everyone keeps talking about. The sky is falling…

Clue: Since the dawn of time the earth has consistently and constantly went through cyclic change. The earth, just like us, is alive…and jus like those changes, just the way God intended it to be…alive.

Every living thing in earth goes through changes as well.

Nothing new to see here.

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 12:35 pm

All true but we can't control those factors. CO can be controlled. Look we all burn coal on this forum and I would not want to give that up. That doesn't mean I want our power plants belching it out up wind of me.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 1:27 pm

nut wrote:
Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 12:35 pm
All true but we can't control those factors. CO can be controlled. Look we all burn coal on this forum and I would not want to give that up. That doesn't mean I want our power plants belching it out up wind of me.
So our power plants burn 3000+ cords of wood in a day not to mention all that nuclear waste that goes into the ground out of my neighborhood and yours…and is shipped somewhere to be stored underground out of site and out of mind…to forever contaminate the ground and water supplies that travel to the lands of other people.

Sorry…doesn’t fly with me. I’d rather the plants burn the coal and wood than to constantly wonder if a nuclear plant has a problem, or is bombed, sabotaged, etc.

Find a map with nuclear power plants and then match that up with prevailing winds in those locations and anything within 500 miles of each plant will be made uninhabitable and sicken 10’s of millions, even hundreds of millions…nearly our entire population…but we’ve been brainwashed to accept nuclear and believe it to be safe. Ha! Just like the jabs.

The biggest threat to the environment is nuclear power problems and nuclear waste, not smoke from stoves, power plants burning coal or wood, forest fires, volcanoes, or automobiles.

Worried about smoke from coal or wood?Plant more trees. Worried about cows farting, plant more trees. Word about me farting…definitely plant more trees.

Worried about nuclear fallout, and he forced to leave the area for a thousand years and let Mother Nature and the trees take over while that area is uninhabitable for a thousand years or more.

The challenges of nuclear waste and nuclear fall-out is far greater than any burning coal, wood, or cow fart. It’s just the truth of the matter.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 1:52 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 1:27 pm
SNIP

Find a map with nuclear power plants and then match that up with prevailing winds in those locations and anything within 500 miles of each plant will be made uninhabitable and sicken 10’s of millions, even hundreds of millions…nearly our entire population…but we’ve been brainwashed to accept nuclear and believe it to be safe. Ha! Just like the jabs.

The biggest threat to the environment is nuclear power problems and nuclear waste, ..

Worried about nuclear fallout, and he forced to leave the area for a thousand years and let Mother Nature and the trees take over while that area is uninhabitable for a thousand years or more.

The challenges of nuclear waste and nuclear fall-out is far greater than any burning coal, wood, or cow fart. It’s just the truth of the matter.

I have no issues with nuclear power plants. "Nuclear fall-out"? What nuclear fall-out? Nuclear plants generally have none.

https://www.hbo.com/chernobyl

Someone watched the TV min-series more than once kek ^ ??

Find a map with nuclear power plants and then match that up with prevailing winds in those locations and anything within 500 miles of each plant will be made uninhabitable and sicken 10’s of millions, even hundreds of millions…nearly our entire population
^^ when will this happen ?

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 2:18 pm

If we are converting to electric cars at some point we had better figure out whats going to make all that additional power. Im not worried about Nuclear power. With all its flaws how many people have died using and making it compared to say coal.1 to 1000 perhaps 1 to 10000 ? Iv seen guys die right in front of my eyes in a coal mine. I dont blame the coal but as far safety goes coal certainly is no better. Plus the nuke tech we are currently using is more than a half century old and avg plant is 40yrs old.
Last edited by k-2 on Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 2:29 pm

I think everyone should be able to agree that the preoccupation with greenhouse gasses compared to the dismissal of what's getting buried and dumped in the ocean is a very poor balance, as Hoyt said, trees love that Co2, maybe not the end all fix all in everyones eyes but nobody should be able to deny its assistance but shh about that and all the nonbiodegradable stuff that's being poured into the earth where our water comes from. There is a price for cheap energy. Extrapolation of short term observation should not eclipse all other science- but don't worry I think it has!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”