freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Dec. 15, 2022 9:46 pm

Yep-----every now & again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :clap:
Hoytman wrote:
Thu. Dec. 15, 2022 8:25 pm
???didactic, Fred? Really????? Coming from you🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂🤣

Did you ever measure that ash pan for me?

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Dec. 16, 2022 1:27 am

ColdHouse wrote:
Thu. Dec. 15, 2022 7:51 pm
Is an insert placed atop a few bricks sitting in a room an insert or a free standing stove?
See my pic avatar .. most fireplaces (FP) accommodate the 503..I would assume that the 503 if placed outside a FP then it should be placed upon some sort of structure to have it off the flooring. To get the max heat.

Now mine in a FP at bottom has temps of 90F on the left side and 125F on the right side (5" from bottom) . I do note a similar temp difference on the fan outlet covers and also noted that the right side is burning hotter than the left (likely reason)(the 503 is kinda split into a left/right side in firebox due to 2 grates). Mine's running on medium burn. Maybe I should put some aluminum fins on the bottom to improve the efficiency.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Fri. Dec. 23, 2022 9:50 am

So I looked into the fans on my downstairs stove just a minute ago. I remember last year unplugging them after noting the smell of burning electric wires. I assumed it was the plastic coated wire had melted. Well I took it apart and found that it was actually a crimp on connector on the thermostat that runs the automatic feature. That appears to have melted. the bottom of the stove where the wiring is doesn't get very hot. Also noted was my wire repair was only on the cord side. I didn't have to mess with the wiring going to the fan on the other side of the stove. So I just simply disconnected the wiring eliminating the automatic feature. When I put it back together I made sure that the wiring was tucked into the bottom of the fan area housing where there is plenty of room and it is not hot. seems to work fine. Time will tell.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 23, 2022 11:53 am

Sweet! Nice work

Scottaw

Post by Scottaw » Sun. Dec. 25, 2022 11:46 am

I’m running the same setup with a hybrid water heater next to my stove. Basically free hot water all winter, and free dehumidifying in the summer. Having one near a stove it the absolute ideal setup. Figured mine paid itself off in a few months.

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Sun. Dec. 25, 2022 12:04 pm

Any special maintenance on a hybrid?

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Dec. 25, 2022 12:06 pm

Scottaw wrote:
Sun. Dec. 25, 2022 11:46 am
I’m running the same setup with a hybrid water heater next to my stove. Basically free hot water all winter, and free dehumidifying in the summer. Having one near a stove it the absolute ideal setup. Figured mine paid itself off in a few months.
Pictures or it didn’t happen. :lol:

Mike C.

Post by Mike C. » Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 12:02 pm

I have the same stove and follow roughly the same procedure with two exceptions:

1. I don’t push quite as much coal down with the poker while filling. Almost, but not quite.

2. When it’s really cold, I tend the stove twice a day. When it’s 30 or above, I tend it only once.

Like you, I store my coal where it’s warm and dry, so I don’t see wild swings in temperature while tending my 503.

I sometimes think I could burn ice cubes in my 503 it burns so well.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”