Today's Coal Consumption

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 1:32 pm

Agree with all of that.

I’ve been running my stove on a paperclip for almost 2 weeks now, sort of mimicking your ash pan vents. Same outside temps you just mentioned.

My house last night with matching temps you mentioned was 77F (3-4 degrees hotter than where my target temp is for the other two in the house…myself, like you, I like it at 70). Same temps as you mentioned when I got up and house for the first time maintained temperature (77F) without dropping. Flap hasn’t cycle in nearly 2 weeks…just running on the paper clip. So, my conclusions with constant air going to the fuel supply are:

1. Less issues with dead spots in the fuel load at tending time.

2. Tending time is much quicker. Doesn’t matter if I decide to tend on the 12’s or 24…tending is still faster.

3. I thought I was using less coal. Now I’m not so sure after last night. If the stove is maintaining target room temperature between tending, regardless of tending times, then I have to be using more coal even by a slight margin.

4. I need to go ahead and order a new intake plate to drill and tap it to be infinitely adjustable so that I can close the gap on the rear intake flap even more so I can maintain an even lower stove and room temperature (closer to the 70-73) negating the need for windowstats during OAT 30-40’s.

Like you, I’d like to see another cold snap just to see how this current paperclip setting holds the house temperature. That will tell me a lot. I need some 15F temps and lower to see what happens and how far the house temp drops.

My situation is totally different than yours being I’m trying to run a large stove at nearly as low a temperature as I can. Currently with your matching outside air temps, I can run this stove even lower by removing the paper clip and allowing the stove stat to cycle…but that comes with fighting the stove via dead spots in the fuel load and trying to rev the stove up before and after tending. For now, it’s easier for me to let it ride and use windowstats to keep the house at or near target temps…which keeps tending much easier for me, like you’re trying to keep it.

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 1:38 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 5:51 am
Yesterday didn't get over 32 for a high. Over night low 27. Not arctic freeze but not Miami heat wave either. Lower level 71 main level 67 on the Tstats. I have not tended stoves yet. I am okay if the house gets a little chilly. Heck I remember when times were very lean and we only heated the house to 58. I would rather have it get cooler than hotter. My goal is to make my coal last and keep the home livable. Most all the time the house is hovering around 70. I would rather use minimal coal and wake up with the house 62 during a cold snap while using minimal fuel than blast thru 200 pounds of black rock a day for a couple extra degrees.

I am waiting for the next cold spell to see what happens to inside temperatures. I think if it only gets cold for a day or two it wouldn't be an issue. If it was 2 weeks below zero a different approach might be required. When some days near 50 and some nights near 20, I think just let the stoves purr on low and be happy the house is warm. IMHO 70 is ideal and can be achieved most of the time with little fuel or effort.

I talked to my neighbor across the street that has a wood pellet stove and asked him how many pounds a day he was using. He has a small cape house only 800 square feet. He said 40 pounds per day. So I think if I am heating this 3,000 square foot place with less than 60 pounds of black rock I am doing pretty good. I also think that the more space a person is trying to heat and the more levels the more complicated it becomes.
40# of pellets in 24hrs for 800sq , that’s gotta be like the fiery depths of hell inside ( he must keep it 90* and wide ope , only 1/2 the btus of coal , I’m trying to stretch what fuel I have too( i definitely have all of next seasons coal 1 3/4 ton outside with 500# in my stove side bin ) and 3/4 of a cord stashed in basement too( layout definitely matters a broken up space can create cold air plugs )

Sam397

Post by Sam397 » Sun. Jan. 15, 2023 6:32 pm

Thinking I’m sold on the 24hr tend. My fire looks the same now as it did at 7 this morning. 24hrs will be 8-9 tonight. Had to dial her back this afternoon cause some welcomed sunshine was getting it to warm in the house.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”