"Huffing" Hitzer

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 4:46 pm

Serge wrote:
Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 4:27 pm
Does that means, this modification done on my 50-93, I can burn wood in spring or fall if needed?
I do believe there are some people burning wood in their 50-93 without doing anything.

The modification I mentioned can make wood burning efforts easier. I’d place them high up on the stove sides or front corners (at least above the brick retainer, or higher).

Keep in mind my comment was a modification to the stove and therefore would void any warranty. Voiding a warranty via modifying a stove could also void an insurance policy should something catastrophic happen like a house fire caused by such modification to the stove.

If that’s something you’re worried about, then don’t modify the stove.

If you’re not worried about it, then the modification might be something you might want to try.

The baffle in the hopper fed 50-93 is the hopper, but for wood burning it may or may not work well in place burning with wood. You may even damage it trying to burn wood with it in place. You might want to talk to someone burning wood in that stove to see if they leave the hopper in.

Additional bricks can be set on top of the grate frame and cut so that they angle down towards the back of the stove and a “baffle board” can be ordered then cut to fit in place. It would slope upwards from the rear of the stove towards the top. Bricks and baffle can just sit on brick retainer and be easily removed when needed for coal burning. Lots of information on other stove forums how to do this modification and you will want to search for those.

If I had one and wanted to burn wood in it, then there are several modifications I would do in addition to adding Hitzer 55 door spinners to the stove. Being small spinners I’d likely add 2-4. Two may not provide enough air, but them of course that would be determined by the amount and size of holes drilled behind each spinner.

I wouldn’t want to ruin a hopper, so there are things you can do there as well…like taking a look inside your stove and a 354 and seeing how they are similar and different on the inside.

A guy can do a lot with a good imagination, a grinder, a drill and drill set, and a welder/rods. Welding rods and a grinder easily make changes and/or fix any mistakes.

Tinker at your own risk.
Last edited by Hoytman on Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Serge
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nuts

Post by Serge » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 6:37 pm

Been heating with anthracite for 15 years with great satisfaction, I am familiar with Hitzer products. My 50-93 is a newer model with removable hopper. Thank's for those valuable modifications, I might make the change.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”