Getting the coal thing figured out .

zachary193
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 8:30 am

So far I have Ben adding around10- 20 lbs every 12 hours. Of course the temperatures haven’t Ben as cold as they had Ben. I probably could get away with 20lbs in 24 hours. I afraid if I wait too long it will go out and I’m not a fan of digging it out and starting over . Lately I have Ben taking the ashes out , loading it and then shaking it . Kinda backwards . I think that’s making me burn a little more coal than I need to be . Think it just makes a little more air flow through the bed . Basically with this ds and the large amount of fire brick in the stove . I would think you should be able to load the back up pretty large. Maybe 60-80 lbs , and even burn longer .

Here’s some pictures of last nights tending I added a half of a hod , around 10 lbs . This morning I added 20 and am going to see if I can push this till Monday morning . I’m definitely sure that a baro would help me even be more efficient.

Thanks for all the assistance fellow rock burners

Attachments

Blackburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Dunsley Highlander
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut

Post by Blackburn » Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 10:26 am

Wow! if you're getting away with 20lbs every 24h, that sounds incredibly efficient to me. Especially with a unit that size.

Sounds like I need to up my game! 👍

zachary193
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 11:21 am

Blackburn wrote:
Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 10:26 am
Wow! if you're getting away with 20lbs every 24h, that sounds incredibly efficient to me. Especially with a unit that size.

Sounds like I need to up my game! 👍
20 lbs in 12 hours , but I feel like it could go longer just not sure exactly how far . I attribute it to the larger stove . I feel like it’s a lot easier to run a larger stove cooler than a smaller stove maxed out .mind it’s not cold where I am yet either it’s Ben very up and down . When it was in the teens , I would use a hod each feeding !

Blackburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Dunsley Highlander
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut

Post by Blackburn » Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 11:36 am

Ah, okay. I reckon I'll have to start checking out just how much I use, daily.

Reckon it would be 20-25lbs over 24hrs, but then again, it's a much smaller stove, and that's when it's colder than it is now. I'm pretty decent at running it low, and ticking over.......or so I think!

Cheers,

David

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”