Update Ds energymax 160

zachary193
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Mon. Nov. 21, 2022 4:09 pm

As of last Friday the weather in south western pa has dipped to the lows 15-20s’s. So I started to switch over to coal . It took a good bit of coal to get started around 150lbs to get a good bed of coals going . So far I’m able to run the stove face around 450 degrees and an exhaust temperature or about 170 (18” above collar ). Stove top runs about 320 . When it dips colder at night it’s Ben more in the teens . I crank the regulator up to where it runs around 500-550 on face

Every 12 hours tending I have Ben shaking lightly and adding a hod of coal (I assume half bag of blaschak ) around 20 lbs . I feel like I could get 24 hours out of a hod right now but I add one a day . Lightly make and even bed with the shovel and throw the rest on a hump with the hod . I feel as if I could get 24 hours out of 2 hods but I’m not quite sure yet I haven’t been exactly sure on how low I can go . One night I threw 2 hods in and it seemed to work out well .

I’m maintain the basement at 81 degrees and the top of the house runs around 75-78 . I’m more than happy with those temps upstairs and downstairs . I do need to find some type of cast iron or porcelain crock to add some humidity in the air as it’s around 32% .

If I was to go for 24 hour tending should I shake every 12 hours ? Or leave it go for 24 hours . I definitely think 2 hods would take me 24 hours and then some . I’m sure I could let it burn down level and it would be fine I’m just at the point we’re im unsure yet so I Toss a hod in every 12 hours . During thanksgiving vacation I’m going to try to push the limits with it and hopefully report back . I’m heating around 2400 square feet .

Coal inside is one of the best sources of heat ! I really like this DS stove . I think it should be efficient for the size of the stove and I can seem to idle it down pretty low . I figure it’s better to idle a larger stove than it is to run a smaller stove to the max .

I like the fact my exhaust temps are very low and it’s keeping more heat in the stove . Here are some pics of loading time at night and the 2nd is about 8 hours post morning load .

There is a super amount of helpful information on here . Thanks for all the coal advice !

Attachments

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Nov. 21, 2022 4:16 pm

No need to rake. How much ash in one day? I ask because you say lightly shake.

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Mon. Nov. 21, 2022 5:23 pm

Not much since Friday I got a metal paint bucket . Maybe a couple coal scoops every 12 hours. I have Ben shaking and letting go till next tending so it’s cool . Id guess half ash pan I have Ben shaking until I see red fall in the pan .

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Nov. 21, 2022 6:35 pm

I'd bet you have a bunch of ash in there.

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Mon. Nov. 21, 2022 8:23 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Mon. Nov. 21, 2022 6:35 pm
I'd bet you have a bunch of ash in there.
Here is my 8 pm tending
Before shake
After shake
After load = 2 hods around 40lb bag
Now there was ash from this morning 8:30 shake down too .

How long will it go ? I will run it pretty warm overnight and tomorrow morning I will idle it a little bring it will be up in the 40s.

Should I be able to go till tomorrow night at 8pm without loading more coal ?

Thanks for the help

Attachments

9CD48E31-7A50-478B-928C-CAA9B056083A.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.1MB | 9CD48E31-7A50-478B-928C-CAA9B056083A.jpeg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”