Peacoal in a 354

Samgeorge
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitser 354
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Samgeorge » Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 3:10 pm

I picked up a few tons of pea real cheap this year. I have been running one grate so far and it's worked great.yesterday I hooked up rear grate and loaded it up,seems to burn fie but the lag time when the Stat opens is a lot longer . Which makes temp swing larger.any ideas on how to fix this problem? Maybe opening damper on stove ? I run a baro in the flue. Thanks for your thoghts.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 8:01 pm

Yes, loose the barometric damper is number #1. Next thing would be to adjust intensity of idle fire using ash pan door vents, providing you have ash pan door vents. Hoytman has an older double door 354. He doesn't have ash pan door vents.

You don't want to limit the Hitzer draft, When the bimetalic thermostat opens, calling for air, it wants all the air it can get. When satisfied, flapper door closes. You haven't any non-adjustable over fire air, so no need for any damper. If it makes you feel better (for safety purposes), put a manual damper in, and leave it open all the time. Use ash pan vents for adjusting intensity of idle fire for reducing lag time.

I found nut burns nicer than pea in my other Hitzers (30-95 & 50-93). Haven't tried pea in the 254 yet. I'm planning to pick some pea up tomorrow to play with in the 254. I'm guessing I'll be staying with nut.

Samgeorge
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitser 354
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Samgeorge » Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 8:36 pm

Thank you very much for your advice as for the baro I have A very strong draft in my chimney and before I installed the baro my stove would run away on a windy day . And like you nut works better but I got the pea for a 100.00 a ton .thanks again.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 9:22 pm

Samgeorge wrote:
Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 8:36 pm
Thank you very much for your advice as for the baro I have A very strong draft in my chimney and before I installed the baro my stove would run away on a windy day . And like you nut works better but I got the pea for a 100.00 a ton .thanks again.
You could set the baro a little heavier. Still do it's job in the wind but give a stronger pull through the pea.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 9:58 pm

Samgeorge wrote:
Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 8:36 pm
Then ash pan vents were open too much (before baro installation).

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”