zachary193
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 7:51 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 6:20 pm
Wait…I’m confused. Looks like I may have understood what you were saying…BUT that doesn’t change what I said my stove is doing.

Wood took a much higher setting in this stove than coal. It is what it is…

Carry on…
Yeah , I totally get it , confusing . Our stoves are opposite . Wood is hotter on lower settings and coal is not as hot on lower settings .

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 8:56 pm

zachary193 wrote:
Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 7:51 pm
Yeah , I totally get it , confusing . Our stoves are opposite . Wood is hotter on lower settings and coal is not as hot on lower settings .
If when burning a low dial setting with wood and your secondary’s are lit, that would explain your dial being lower with wood than with coal. Secondary flames burn over at over 1000F. Some of the air comes from your air wash and secondary air supply. Naturally, you will use less under fire air for the wood and the dial will be lower. Hitzer doesn’t have secondary’s…yet (Big Grin).

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Tue. Nov. 22, 2022 8:49 am

Hoytman wrote:
Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 8:56 pm
If when burning a low dial setting with wood and your secondary’s are lit, that would explain your dial being lower with wood than with coal. Secondary flames burn over at over 1000F. Some of the air comes from your air wash and secondary air supply. Naturally, you will use less under fire air for the wood and the dial will be lower. Hitzer doesn’t have secondary’s…yet (Big Grin).

That does make sense , I never figured those secondary’s burnt that hot . I will say I like the fast heat I can get with wood , but coal is far more easier. I’m not a fan of feeding the beast . I do like the ease of temperature control with the black rocks 🪨!

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Wed. Nov. 23, 2022 12:58 pm

The right fuel for my little place depends on outside temperatures. When temps are bouncing above and below freezing, fueling the Chubby with coal is not a good choice. I'm opening windows and even doors. I can run the Chubby hot or cool with wood when I'm up and about. And when it's time to turn in, if I load it up with hardwood and shut her down, she'll burn almost all night. Sometimes it's a little cool in the mornings but it doesn't take long to bring indoor temps back up.

Fueling with coal is best for me when temps remain well below freezing throughout the day.

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Wed. Nov. 23, 2022 2:06 pm

keegs wrote:
Wed. Nov. 23, 2022 12:58 pm
The right fuel for my little place depends on outside temperatures. When temps are bouncing above and below freezing, fueling the Chubby with coal is not a good choice. I'm opening windows and even doors. I can run the Chubby hot or cool with wood when I'm up and about. And when it's time to turn in, if I load it up with hardwood and shut her down, she'll burn almost all night. Sometimes it's a little cool in the mornings but it doesn't take long to bring indoor temps back up.

Fueling with coal is best for me when temps remain well below freezing throughout the day.

Yes I’m running into that now with it coming up in the 40-50s in the daytime and 30s at night . I could have waited a little bit to switch over to coal . No turning back now though . But I can run it pretty low . It won’t be long and it will stay cold

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”