She doesn't think I am that stupid anymore.

Twisted shackle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Keystoker deep box

Post by Twisted shackle » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 9:09 pm

I run 3 hand fired stoves, 2 in the house and one in the shop. I burn 2 to 2 1/2 tons of coal a season. I burn tractor supply coal as it is the most convenient for me to get.

Over the years I have always bought an extra ton "in case it's a cold winter ". I fired up last week and my wife asked when am I going to buy coal. I proudly answered, honey I have 5 1/2 tons in the pole barn that I bought for $5 a bag. It's now going for $10 a bag. I am not buying coal this year.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 9:12 pm

Nice, I was lucky too and scooped up 2 years worth before the big price increase.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 10:08 pm

Well played. I'm fortunate to be able to heat my place with a little less than two tons. I paid less than a single barrel of oil to heat my place. Thank God! If I had to pay for oil it would break me. We are a single income household.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 11:51 pm

Twisted shackle, I'll bet that you're the King around there if you weren't already!

I'm amazed that some of you guys can heat a home with 2 or 3 tons. Then again, I haven't lived in any homes in the last 50+ years with insulation worth mentioning. 4 tons in a handfired is what I usually burn for the worst 5- 5.5 months. 2 story, about 1800 sq. ft. Coal quality is a big variable. In two other long term homes with stoker boilers, I burned 8 tons/ year in an old stone mill building and 9 tons/ year in 3 story town home. Of course, they were operated year-round. I had a coworker, 40 years ago, that claimed he heated his home with a handfired on one ton a Winter. I didn't believe him, but his two story home was very small and had a log core. He likely only ran the stove for a couple months.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 7:05 am

That is good to hear. Some people will say you are lucky, which would be wrong since you had the good sense to buy ahead and keep a buffer inventory.

I am a bit envious you guys can get through a winter with such a small amount of fuel. Despite my best efforts of air sealing, added insulation, and fine tuning of the heating system I will probably hit the 2.5 ton mark by the New Year. All things considered I think we do okay but it would always be nice to haul less coal & ash.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”