One Week In and Progress

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Nov. 26, 2022 3:14 pm

BTW there is a GW#8 for sale on this form right now at such incredible savings that a decent number of people here could sell off their lesser stoves and get a real bargain

I could also set someone up with a GW#6 at a very attractive price

Comments on this should be directed to me by PM to preserve this thread’s integrity

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Nov. 26, 2022 3:40 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sat. Nov. 26, 2022 2:34 pm
I’m pretty sure it was all meant to be cubic feet measurements. That is when getting/buying the revertable flue option you could add 50-60% or more the cubic feet numbers…

…which would mean that the last underlined part, referring to the 18 1/2” fire pot, that the 8-10k cubic feet with the revertable flue the 18 1/2” fire pot would then heat 12k-16k cubic feet (not square feet). I think that last underlined part was a typo.

Whether or not the numbers line up, I haven’t checked them. I still think the last part was a type and all numbers were meant to represent cubic feet, in my opinion.
While the revertible flues add heat extracting surface I don't think it's a 50-60% increase in output. I own a few. My base heater in direct draft throws plenty of heat. In indirect draft it throws a bit more but down lower to the floor, so the room "feels" much warmer, but thermometers and IR gun readings on the walls don't change enough to indicate a 50% increase in heat output.

Cubic feet would be closer to reality for what area those size stoves can heat at below zero temps. .

One of my brothers-in-law has a 24 inch firepot Round Oak. It's huge with it's "can-and-a-half" barrel and it stands 7 feet tall to the top of the finial. Came out of a local Church that needed two of them. He burns wood in it and heats his one-floor open-plan house with it. The house is about 40 x 30 with 8 foot ceilings, or about 9600 cf.

Paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Nov. 26, 2022 4:27 pm

The BIL: Why such a large stove for so little space?

A 7 ft tall 24” pot stove seems like major over-kill and far worse than my situation with my 354…and the place is smaller than mine too. He must idle it like I do with the 354. I don’t even see how he can begin to burn wood in it in such a small space even if it had 16 ft ceilings.

That’s less than my 1350 sq ft, or 10,800 cubic feet.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Nov. 26, 2022 4:51 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sat. Nov. 26, 2022 4:27 pm
The BIL: Why such a large stove for so little space?

A 7 ft tall 24” pot stove seems like major over-kill and far worse than my situation with my 354…and the place is smaller than mine too. He must idle it like I do with the 354. I don’t even see how he can begin to burn wood in it in such a small space even if it had 16 ft ceilings.

That’s less than my 1350 sq ft, or 10,800 cubic feet.
It's not overkill. They have two long walls of continuous, huge windows from countertop height to ceiling, facing out looking down into their woods and a stream. Built before there were double pane insulating type windows that size. I've been there in winter, and you'll roast standing near the stove, but it is not centrally located. It's off at the front entrance end of the long entry/kitchen/living room area. In the living room end, which is farthest from the stove, it just keeps up with the worst of western Massachusetts winters.

He bought it because that stove was big enough to handle their coldest winters, back 50 years ago when he built the place and winters were colder.

Paul

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Nov. 26, 2022 9:31 pm

I can heat 12,000 cubic feet with a 12 inch mica baseburner with super duper deluxe double heater optiin. At -15 OAT with 72° IAT. With moderate to good insulation. Centrally located in the center of house N,S,E,W.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Nov. 26, 2022 11:07 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sat. Nov. 26, 2022 4:51 pm
It's not overkill. They have two long walls of continuous, huge windows from countertop height to ceiling, facing out looking down into their woods and a stream. Built before there were double pane insulating type windows that size. I've been there in winter, and you'll roast standing near the stove, but it is not centrally located. It's off at the front entrance end of the long entry/kitchen/living room area. In the living room end, which is farthest from the stove, it just keeps up with the worst of western Massachusetts winters.

He bought it because that stove was big enough to handle their coldest winters, back 50 years ago when he built the place and winters were colder.

Paul
The window situation helps explain that. I knew it couldn’t be a standard home that size with that large of a stove. Those windows would make a huge difference. Lots of heat loss. He’s probably glad to have that much grunt of a stove.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”