Creosote dry out ds stoves

zachary193
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Tue. Nov. 15, 2022 6:21 pm

Burning wood in my energy max 160 I have Ben using a rutland product once a week or so a mineral based . When they say dry out would that be loading a few splits of wood and turning the regulator up on high and leaving the stove damper open . Letting the chimney warm up drying the creosote out . Letting the stove pipe come down cooler and then re loading ? I just wonder what some of you all do if you do this or something different . This cold snap I have ben running the stove around 300 at night and maybe 400 in the daytime .

I work nights so when I get up around 3 I burn the stove 500-550 but I usually load it up and close it down .

Just curious of what some of you do

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Nov. 15, 2022 7:36 pm

Most of those products say to put on a small or low burning fire so the minerals will land with the creosote. Then typically the next hot fire ignites those chemicals and burns off or "dries out" the creosote.

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 3:26 am

Maybe I should rephrase my question. Wouldn’t it make sense to pour the product over the coals with the stove dampener open . Sending the heat up the pipe actually drying the chimney out . Letting it cool back down to a re load temperature . Doing this with only a few splits of wood

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford

Post by ShawnLiNy » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 8:18 am

Are you really getting creosote so quickly?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 8:26 am

There is a mineral that solves the creosote problem.

It's called coal. :yes:

Paul

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 9:17 am

ShawnLiNy wrote:
Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 8:18 am
Are you really getting creosote so quickly?
A chunk fell in the clean out . It has been rainy snowy icy and I had a little bit of watery soot running out the clean out door . Made me investigate a little .

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 9:25 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 8:26 am
There is a mineral that solves the creosote problem.

It's called coal. :yes:

Paul
Hahaha 🤣

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 9:36 am

zachary193 wrote:
Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 9:17 am
A chunk fell in the clean out . It has been rainy snowy icy and I had a little bit of watery soot running out the clean out door . Made me investigate a little .
I clicked the dang submit button ! I would say that it’s more soot than anything . I probably burned around a half of a cord through it testing it new and burning some overnight fires . This is the first real extended period I kept it going on wood . I figured if I could get to December I’d switch over to coal . I was just talking to my grandma she’s 83 and she said the old farmhouse they would brush every fall unless it burnt out ! I said I don’t think it’s supposed to do that . She said well it did sometimes ! Funny how things were back then vs now

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 9:53 am

Real soot will smell very strong and is thick. It can smell you out of a room. If its watered down soot its not as thick and the smell is more tolerable. Watered down could be from rain, snow, condensation, or moisture from the wood. Its water that diluted soot on the way down the chimney.

its like pouring ketchup from a bottle or slightly easier if its pure soot that got heated up and is running.

I know nothing about the product your asking about. But if it eases your mind to use it, go ahead.

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford

Post by ShawnLiNy » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 12:24 pm

Does the 160 furnace have the reburn tubes or is that just in the stoves ? Consistency of Ketchup is a good description of something that needs immediate attention , don’t drive yourself crazy over a little bit of buildup. Just run it hot for few hours every couple of days if you keep it snuffed down .

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 4:22 pm

ShawnLiNy wrote:
Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 12:24 pm
Does the 160 furnace have the reburn tubes or is that just in the stoves ? Consistency of Ketchup is a good description of something that needs immediate attention , don’t drive yourself crazy over a little bit of buildup. Just run it hot for few hours every couple of days if you keep it snuffed down .
Yeah it has the Re burn tubes in it full set of 3 and they work very well once the inside temp gets up it looks like a fire storm . Depending on how hot you run it the stack pipe may only go from 160-250

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 4:59 pm

Keep an eye on your chimney and get yourself a wire chimney brush and if your burning a lot of wood then run the brush up and down a couple of times every month. I used to burn quite a bit of wood and depending on the quality (moisture) I would only have to sweep mine every spring and sometimes in the middle of the burn season.
I had tried that product and found it to be ineffective with my burning. I think it's more of a gimmick than anything. But I do have to say Rutland does generally make good products.
I too am planning on burning wood most of this winter at least till late December unless we get a very very cold front, which I will then switch to coal till it passes.
When burning wood it is essential that you have a Chimney Fire Extinguisher they can be had for less than $20 and will help save your life and home, if you were to have a chimney fire. They do work, as I saved my neighbors house when he had a runaway chimney fire. I always have two on hand but never had to use any here at my place. But I gave my neighbor my two and he only needed one. Needless to say chimney fires are real scary and dangerous, but as of now I never had one, and dont plan on having one, but I still have my Chimney extinguisher by each one of my stoves. Also I have been burning wood for about 50 years off and on. More on than off. Only in the last few years I decided to switch over to coal, that is till Biden came along. Now I am 72 years old and forced to burn wood again.
Hope this helped you.

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 7:02 pm

Yeah , I’m going to have to order some of those extinguishers. Chimfex I think they are . Thanks for all the help . Today I opened the stove up and let some heat go up the chimney with 3 small splits to dry it out . Took the temp up to around 300 with ir gun and let it come back down to around 160 then closed it back up and run the stove around 550 to heat the house back up . All in all even with coal the way wood heats my farmhouse ranch (2400sq/ft) I can’t imagine using more than 30-50lbs a coal a day or 2 depending on the wind. But still at the coal price it’s significantly increased . And a fellow only has so much wood cut ready to burn 🔥!

Oldsoul
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Legacy mark 2 & 3, previously vermont castings vigilant

Post by Oldsoul » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 8:11 pm

I had a chimney fire when I used to burn wood..young and dumb with partially seasoned wood....not a fun thing to wake up to in the middle of the night...thank God I had the brains to have a chimney fire stop stick next to the woodstove! A blackened ceiling above the stove pipe in living room(soot coming out of pipe),was the extent of it...burn your stove hot and make sure wood is high and dry!!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 28, 2022 4:41 pm

Are you still burning wood?

Do you have single wall stove pipe to the chimney?

Is there a magnet thermometer in that pipe? How far from stove and how far from chimney?

What was you stove cruise temperature and your pipe temperature day and night?

Just curious…

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”