Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Mon. Nov. 28, 2022 4:56 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Mon. Nov. 28, 2022 4:41 pm
Are you still burning wood?

Do you have single wall stove pipe to the chimney?

Is there a magnet thermometer in that pipe? How far from stove and how far from chimney?

What was you stove cruise temperature and your pipe temperature day and night?

Just curious…
No I’m burning coal right at the moment .

I had a magnet thermometer 18” from the stove collar . Cruise temps hung around 250 , I have single wall pipe .

Thinking about things now and the warm up I could still be burning wood it would be a lot easier . But also to I’m hardly using any coal at all .

When I would heat the house up with wood I would get the stove pipe running pretty warm atleast 350-400 for a few hours .

At this point I’m at no return I’m not switching back unless I’m done for the year with coal .

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 28, 2022 6:20 pm

I understand being done.

I’m just looking at it that both my Hitzer and your DS seem to extract a lot more heat from the exhaust than a typical secondary burn wood stove or pre-epa wood stove for that matter.

I can’t speak for everyone else’s experience burning wood in a pre-epa wood stove, just my own experience.

I never was one to burn wet wood, green wood, only dry well seasoned wood. I’m talking cut, split, stacked up off the ground, and top covered for more than 3 years. Often our wood had released most of its bark and we had cord after cord like that waiting to be burned or sold. I’m more than familiar with old timers burning their stove hot once a day…blah…blah…blah.

I know from my own experience that my inside the home masonry chimney doesn’t stay clean from poor wood burning practices. In fact, this chimney was looking like new inside for nearly 70 years until I tried burning wood in this Hitzer, then found out the air intakes were very tiny behind those very large spinners on each door…something I don’t think anyone would have assumed to be so small. Any normal person would have looked at those large spinners and assumed there were large enough air intakes behind them to burn wood in the stove just like any normal pre-EPA wood stove.

That said, I noticed right away my stove pipe not getting up to temperature as I thought it should be. The experience of burning 3 other pre-EPA stoves told me something wasn’t right. Yep just know the heat exchanger in this stove works really well…and trying to burn wood in the stove proved no different with regard to the pipe temperature as I knew it should have gotten higher than it was even with my stove starving for air, based on the stove temperature and pipe temperature differential. That said…

…I’m seeing the same thing from your description of burning wood in your DS, a pipe temp still too cool. You should be able to get that pipe temp to 325-350 and keep it there with ease. Could you get it higher to 400, or higher? From your description the answer is yes. You should be in the burn zone to “prevent creosote” from 300 and up. For my chimney 300 is bare minimum and I tried to maintain at least 325-350 in order to keep my chimney clean. It worked too.

You’ll have to see where you need to run your stove on wood to keep your chimney clean, but it’ll most certainly need to cruise at a minimum of 300 for the duration of the burn until the fuel is spent. A reload will require charring of all the wood before being turned down to let the stove cruise with pipe at 300+. Anything below that pipe temperature, over a season of burning, you’ll likely see a dirty chimney.

Now the question remains is will the design of the stove allow you to cruise, with a 300+pipe during each load of fuel, or will the stove extract too much heat from the exhaust to maintain a clean burning wood stove throughout the season.

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Mon. Nov. 28, 2022 9:42 pm

I agree with the extracting heat . They do such a great job at that . I do think colder weather would have helped things run more efficient. Now as far as myself in cleanliness, I’d say if one had the time to put into keeping a good fire going constant . I always had that come home from work in the am hot coals and had to get a few splits going over the day . But also to working nights trying not to excessively heat up the house in the day time . It’s hard to sleep in the day in 80 degree temps let alone 70’s. I’d get up in the afternoon around 3pm throw some wood on it crank it up burn hot , get my sons off the school bus , feed a round bale to the cattle and come back in and idle er down for the evening . It’s possible to do but at current conditions and temperatures I believe coal is easier for the moment . But if one day coal is hard to come by . I know what I’m doing with wood . Just have to face the facts and clean after a cord or so .

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 28, 2022 10:22 pm

Well, what I was driving at is the high probability of the DS 160 being too big for your home like mine with the 354. The evidence seems to lean in that direction.

That being the case coal is perfect for this time of year and like me and my situation with too much stove for the home it sounds like both of us would be better off, if we’re going to burn wood, to burn the coal now (this type of weather) and wait until super cold to burn the wood.

In other words, trying to burn wood in mild shoulder seasons is basically doing it wrong with “stove too big for the home” situation. So it makes sense to burn the wood in the coldest part of the season when the home can really use the heat and the chimney needs a hotter fire to remain clean. That is of course if you or anyone else is wanting to conserve money/coal.

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Tue. Nov. 29, 2022 12:09 am

Yes , you are correct . It would make more sense to burn wood in the colder part of the year for our set-ups . I do slightly regret not picking the 110 . Also though I can chug and lug the 160 along just nice and even on coal though . And I don’t like being cold 🥶! If I can’t maintain 74-76 I’m not a happy camper !

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Nov. 29, 2022 1:13 am

Did you order your stove with or without the cabinet/heatshield?

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Tue. Nov. 29, 2022 8:31 pm

I bought the red heat shield for a plenum , I don’t have a plenum yet I’m not sure I need one . I didn’t think that it would work right without . So far I think pretty high of DS products . I was told it will push air 8feet . So far I believe it will go farther than that . I can see the cobwebs moving at the other end of my basement it’s 42ft

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Nov. 29, 2022 10:17 pm

:lol: that might be a world record.

Yep… like their stoves. I just wish they made one smaller than the CM 75. I’m sure it is still to big for burning wood in my house. Coal would likely be ok, but I’d likely still have to idle it.

zachary193

Post by zachary193 » Wed. Nov. 30, 2022 12:33 am

Hoytman wrote:
Tue. Nov. 29, 2022 10:17 pm
:lol: that might be a world record.

Yep… like their stoves. I just wish they made one smaller than the CM 75. I’m sure it is still to big for burning wood in my house. Coal would likely be ok, but I’d likely still have to idle it.

I haven’t got to do the math yet with usage . It took me a while to figure out where the full point is with coal . I’m still not sure I’m exactly there ! You can put a lot of coal in this beast ! But I have a hunch that the math is going to work out to some really low numbers . I mean you can hump 40 lbs and it still seems like you can put another 40 in it . I was adding 20lbs every 12 hours now I’m trying 40 in 24 . Temps are really mild here expecting huge swings next few days 50’s to 20’s . I know with wood you could load 9-10 big maple/cherry splits and it would burn 9-10 hours .my only trouble is the lowest I can get the upstairs temp is 74 in mild weather. By all rights the way it’s Ben working 40lbs should burn 44 hours .

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”