Older Harman Insert help

Duck Man
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Duck Man » Sun. Nov. 13, 2022 1:58 pm

Hi all, Ive found an older Harman fireplace insert for the right price that will fit on my heart. However the person selling the stove doesn’t know anything about it. From what I was able to find online it looks a lot like the SF150 and SF250. However this stove doesn’t have the heat tubes facing you. Instead it’s just a solid piece of metal with a design that kinda looks like a sun. I asked if this was removable and maybe the heat tubes were covered up, I was told no. Anywho pretty sure I’m going to buy it anyway. I’ve attached a pic of the stove I found in another post on this site, but the post never mentioned the model. Any information you can pass along would be great, thanks again

Attachments

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Nov. 13, 2022 2:33 pm

Check the grates.

Duck Man

Post by Duck Man » Sun. Nov. 13, 2022 3:44 pm

Hi oh yeah going to check for proper operation of the stove. I just can’t find any information on the stove. I asked the seller if there were any model numbers listed on a plate and was told I didn’t locate one. Even called Legacy Stove and described what I was looking at with no luck.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Nov. 13, 2022 9:35 pm

It looks pretty old, even the older Mark series have different door latches. Sure it's not a knock off of some sort? Just make sure the grates aren't warped bad or broken. Look at gaskets, they can be replaced. Look for other missing parts, etc.

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford

Post by ShawnLiNy » Mon. Nov. 14, 2022 12:20 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sun. Nov. 13, 2022 9:35 pm
It looks pretty old, even the older Mark series have different door latches. Sure it's not a knock off of some sort? Just make sure the grates aren't warped bad or broken. Look at gaskets, they can be replaced. Look for other missing parts, etc.
I thought it looked like a modified my 1 ( as I don’t think it was built as an insert )

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Nov. 14, 2022 12:39 pm

If you get it, post lots of pics. Might be a one of a kind.

Duck Man

Post by Duck Man » Mon. Nov. 14, 2022 1:29 pm

Will do, heading up this weekend to pick it up

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Nov. 14, 2022 4:35 pm

Yep, sure looks like a free standing to me, but hell, if it fits your hearth----have at it.

Duck Man

Post by Duck Man » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 6:13 pm

Well we decided not to go with the stove today, total disappointment. The stove was in great shape, and it was 26” deep to boot. But when we pulled it out it didn’t have an attachment for a 6 or 8” stainless liner. It only had a 10x3 rectangular exhaust to vent directly into a chimney. There were no model numbers anywhere on the sides or the back, guess we never will know the model

Attachments

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 9:27 pm

Duck Man wrote:
Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 6:13 pm
Well we decided not to go with the stove today, total disappointment. The stove was in great shape, and it was 26” deep to boot. But when we pulled it out it didn’t have an attachment for a 6 or 8” stainless liner. It only had a 10x3 rectangular exhaust to vent directly into a chimney. There were no model numbers anywhere on the sides or the back, guess we never will know the model
I think that might have been a stoker. Good luck with that if you have an electrical outage.
Even if it wasn't a stoker, there are plenty of good used brand coal stoves out there.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 11:07 pm

Not a stoker. That is a very early model Harman. I believe that stove model was called a Magnafire
Came as Magnafire Mark I,II, and III freestanding or as an Magnafire Elite Insert.

Magnafire Elite Insert Installation and Operation Manual

Installation Manual Freestanding /Mark_I_II_III

Duck Man

Post by Duck Man » Mon. Nov. 21, 2022 6:18 am

Gm, it wasn’t a stoker, power was only for the fan. The fan was on the front lower right only and didn’t have an option for a 2nd one on the left, so quiet compared to my Kodak. Definitely was designed to be an insert only, that’s for sure. Thought about welding the 3x10 rectangle outlet shut and adding my own 8” circle outlet flange for my stainless chimney insert. The stove really looks like the Harman SF-150 and the length of the fire box at 26” matches the SF-150 but it doesn’t have the blower tubes at the front. Maybe this was the SF-150’s very beginning and it was modified to what today’s SF-250 is? Idk but it was a beast of stove and in that smaller house I can only image they must have had the windows open in the dead of winter with that stove running lol, well the search continues…

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Nov. 21, 2022 10:04 pm

Duck Man wrote:
Mon. Nov. 21, 2022 6:18 am
Gm, it wasn’t a stoker, power was only for the fan. The fan was on the front lower right only and didn’t have an option for a 2nd one on the left, so quiet compared to my Kodak. Definitely was designed to be an insert only, that’s for sure. Thought about welding the 3x10 rectangle outlet shut and adding my own 8” circle outlet flange for my stainless chimney insert. well the search continues…
Not a stoker…that’s what I said of it before I uploaded the manual for that insert…did you just miss all that? 😝

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”