why can’t i get this to throw HEAT

MPWintermute
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 818
Coal Size/Type: Nut Coal

Post by MPWintermute » Sat. Nov. 12, 2022 10:29 pm

I am new to burning coal. What do i need to do to make this HOT?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 13, 2022 5:54 am

MP,
I covered some of this in your first post, which is now down lower in the "Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves" section.

You've got nice blue flames and the firebed is full enough. Make sure that secondary damper/broiler door, that you are showing open in your picture, is closed and sealing well. Only use the primary air damper that is in the ash pan door.

Once you have those blue flames going keep the stove pipe damper open only about 20 degrees. If you open it too much hot exhaust goes up the chimney and doesn't spend enough time in the stove flues to exchange as much heat as it can.

Put the back damper "oven damper" - the ring sticking out under the front edge of the cooktop - in the closed position so that the exhaust must go around the oven flues and not straight from the firebox to the pipe collar. You should be able to see if that damper is open or closed if you lift off the back middle round cover while you push/pull that round handle.

Are you using nut coal,... or a smaller size ? Coal too small will burn too slow and not put out much heat.

Are you clearing ash enough so that when shaking the grates you see some glowing embers drop into the ash pan and there is an even orange glow throughout the ash pan area ? If the firebed gets choked with ash it will not burn hot.

Are there any cracks or open seams in the oven walls, or elsewhere in the stove ? If air leaks in where it should not, that will lessen how much air gets drawn in through the primary damper to feed the firebed.

Can primary air from the ash pan door damper leak up around the sides of the firebox instead of having to go through the firebed ? If air is bypassing the firebed it will not run hot.

If you read the "Cookin' With Coal" thread, it will explain a lot of how to get the most out of a coal-fired kitchen range.

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Sun. Nov. 13, 2022 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Nov. 13, 2022 7:35 am

If the stovepipe is real hot up away from the stove, your heat is going up the chimney.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”