Still in the No Match club !

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Fri. Nov. 04, 2022 3:28 pm

Nov 4 and 80* + on my back south facing deck looks like I might get another 2 weeks before first fire , fine with me save us all a few shekels! Been over 10 years since I had more than a full ton of coal stocked . And I have a 2ftx3’ x7foot high stack of split lumber and another 2x3x6” of molding and cabinet material scrap bundled into 2.5-5# logs .this may be the first year I haven’t had at least one fire before Halloween

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sat. Nov. 05, 2022 11:34 pm

Sounds like you've got a bit of wood there to help prolong the coal start up. I lit my hand fired stove on 10/30. That worked out well for some days with light frosts at night. I had to let it die yesterday as we're in about a 4 or 5 day warm spell. 77 degrees today. Great for motorcycling but more than windowstats can deal with on multiple days. That's only the second time I shut down in about 15 years with handfireds. Otherwise, in the one match club from Oct. to Apr. I do hate restarting a stove a second time. With handfireds, I've started anywhere from Oct. 10 to Nov 10 and run to early to mid April. Usually out of coal by then. Last heating season that was about 4.2 tons.

The Farmer's Almanac and the Old Farmer's Almanac both call for a bad winter in the NE and Midwest. The Nat. Weather Service says otherwise.

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Sun. Nov. 06, 2022 10:06 am

I heard it's a La Nina winter in Pa. which is warmer than normal. Hope so. The older I get the less I like winter.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Nov. 06, 2022 7:20 pm

3rd la Nina in a row. Supposedly rare.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”