Warm Morning

Alcugo
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning

Post by Alcugo » Fri. Oct. 28, 2022 12:16 am

Hi Buddies

I am New in this World of Coal Heating

I started with a Wood Stove but I didn't want to deal with the creosote in my chimney, so I switched to coal, a friend recommended me the Warm Morning stove, he told me those are "work horses"

Today I started my first coal fire (anthracite)

Someone here know those Warm Morning stoves???

How many square feet I could Heat???

I Notice that the wood stove burn Hotter but for Less time

Coal is like slow burning rate but I don't feel as hot as the wood stove

Am I Doing something wrong????

Someone has a Manual for the warm morning????

Thanks You for your Time

Attached pic is my Setup

Attachments

IMG_20221027_234432.jpg
.JPG | 317.4KB | IMG_20221027_234432.jpg

Coalblooded
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Jensen 24a
Coal Size/Type: Ky lump, bituminous

Post by Coalblooded » Fri. Oct. 28, 2022 9:12 am

How much are you putting in? Also how much under air are you allowing in?

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Sat. Oct. 29, 2022 9:47 am

Wood is up and down where as coal is usually low and steady. You can burn it hot if you give it enough air but if your stove is sized properly that should not be necessary unless it is very cold.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Sun. Oct. 30, 2022 12:21 pm

I love those stoves. Convection heat rules! Make sure your stove is more or less air tight, as far as your loading and ash doors are concerned. Because these stoves are a little older they might need a little tlc. Do a light test to check out for any leaks in your fire box. If so a little furnace cement goes a long way.
Look's like you got a winner!!!!!!
Also those stoves are designed to burn pea thru egg coal, the finer coal you use the cooler the burn. If you find that your stove isn't burning hot enough with the size coal you are using, then try going up one size. I started out with pea and found that was a little too cool. Now when I burn coal it is usually nut, and if it's really really cold out I will switch to stove/egg coal. But now I am currently burning wood, as the cost of coal has gone thru the roof. I suggest that you might want to check into putting a thermometer on your stove pipe, before your manual damper if you are planning on burning both wood and coal. You might need to control your burn rate with wood, as sometimes it really takes off. Also make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector installed. Cheap life insurance.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 5:02 pm

Maybe a Barometric Damper would help. The manual suggested using one. Nice condition, should throw a lot of heat. I also seem to recall someone posting about plugging the chimneys ( the hollow flies in the corner bricks) in the stove bricks with stainless mesh when burning anthracite. Those chimneys were mostly there for burning bituminous.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 9:11 am

fig wrote:
Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 5:02 pm
Maybe a Barometric Damper would help. The manual suggested using one. Nice condition, should throw a lot of heat. I also seem to recall someone posting about plugging the chimneys ( the hollow flues in the corner bricks) in the stove bricks with stainless mesh when burning anthracite. Those chimneys were mostly there for burning bituminous.

GSHunky
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Efel Giant Arden
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by GSHunky » Tue. Nov. 22, 2022 7:30 pm

That is a warm morning 400. My parents had one growing up. You’ll want to get a baro damper or get a manual damper. Here’s a pdf. You’ll wanna start with wood, you’ll want to have the selector on the right side all the way down if I remember right(it’s an auto temp control one I think down it HOT and up is Warm but it could have it mixed up). burn till you got some coals in the bottom. Then you’ll add your coal. Up to this point you can have the bottom door open or just the bottom door vent. If you have/add a manual damper you’ll want it wide open. Start by adding coal as shovel fulls. Just slowly feed the fire till you have a full bucket in. You’ll hear the coal sizzling and cracking. At that point you’ll want to shut the bottom door and leave the bottom vent closed let it burn for a little while maybe 30 min then you’ll want to fill the stove. These things are designed to burn 100lbs of coal. Add coal till the coal is is a couple inches from the opening of the top door. After that close the damper the whole way or 3/4 for more heat and your good for 12 hours. After 12 hours open the bottom vent open the damper and shake it down, you may need to rake the bottom (open the door and poke between the grate to clear the ash) you’ll want to shake till you start to get hot coals dropping out. After that add coal shut the damper and your hood for another 12 hours. Depending on how hot you are burning you can got 24 and even 48 hours when the stove is at idle. For faster heat you can open the ears on the side of the stove. And if you have a fan on the back that’ll help even more. Here’s a very informative video that should help even though it’s not the same stove.

It’s not hard to run these stoves they have an auto temp control so it’s really a set it to how hot you want it and let it burn. Heated my parents 1600sqft house without issue would easily get it out to 80-85 if you had it turned out too much haha

Attachments

WarmMorningManual.pdf
.PDF | 411KB | WarmMorningManual.pdf

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Tue. Nov. 22, 2022 9:16 pm

If it is model 400 , (check the back for the model plate) the largest of the WM cabinet stoves, it does have a bi metallic control on the intake air. The slightly smaller model 500 (80 lbs.) does not. The smallest model 460 doesn't have one either. All have provision to mount a factory blower motor on the back.

The larger 2 models would have no problem heating 2000 sq ft. and probably a lot more. I ran the 80 lb. model 500 for 2 or 3 years and heated 1800 sq. ft. on two floors. It was hard to keep it subdued sometimes. They were made to run on fairly low draft, but safe level. Some sort of damper is needed. They love to eat a lot. The often missing correct shaker handle is good to have, since you can insert through the bottom front air port and shake with the ash door closed. Really cuts down on the dust in the room. Recasters used to sell them at a crazy price. Have fun and great heat with it.

CoalKracker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 3
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 460
Baseburners & Antiques: Pittston Stove Co. Magnet No.2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite rice (reading coal co)

Post by CoalKracker » Tue. Nov. 22, 2022 9:23 pm

Get it hot. Shake it down. Add coal right to the top. Let the new coal burn some gas off then damp it down. And make sure you keep the chimneys in each corner clear. That's where most of the gasses burn in these stoves. That stove is capable of heating a home if the draft is right.

CoalKracker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 3
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 460
Baseburners & Antiques: Pittston Stove Co. Magnet No.2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite rice (reading coal co)

Post by CoalKracker » Tue. Nov. 22, 2022 9:24 pm

20180316_185852.jpg
.JPG | 159.3KB | 20180316_185852.jpg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”