Unknown Furnace Model and Need to Fix Shaker Grates - Help

markslider

Post by markslider » Tue. Aug. 19, 2008 4:30 pm

Hi,
Bought a huge old house (5000 sq. ft.) 3 years ago. First month in (November - December) we used the old gas furnace not wanting to deal with coal. The first month's gas bill was $1600. Needless to say, we dropped the temp the rest of the winter and ended up at about $3600 for the season. We vowed to try the coal furnace and the next season, after alot of trial and error on building and maintaining a fire, I learned well and could hold a nice bed of coals for 12 hours while we were at work and overnight. Local coal delivered and dumped by conveyor belt into the coal bin for $68/ton in Western Maryland (this year I've heard it went up to about $80/ton) but that second and third year we heated the house for $800 and about $1100 respectively. Now my problem. I've been dealing with shaker grates that are worn and fly off when rocked to far or too hard. Makes for a difficult time keeping a fire and cleaning out the ash drawer. I need to get replacements or have them fixed but have no idea where to try. Can cast iron be welded (or brazed)? And how can I determine the make of the furnace? There are no identifiying names cast into the door or anyplace. All I can find are what I think are part numbers on the door and shaker arm. I need to get things ready for November but I need some guidance. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Mark Slider
Westernport, MD

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Tue. Aug. 19, 2008 5:21 pm

Mark

This should be in the hand fired stove section. Your thread would be viewed by a lot more people who could probably help you out. I know the one thing they are going to ask you for is for some pictures of your stove. With you saying there is no name plates or any identifying marks on the stove there is no way anyone is going to be able to help unless they can figure out what the make of your stove is.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Aug. 19, 2008 10:09 pm

Pictures would definitely help identify it. Even if you can't, you can measure them up and match them with what is available. You may even be able to adapt a near miss with a few firebrick. There are a few online stove parts sites that have pics and dimensions.

Cast can be welded but I recommend a talented individual for this task. The braze will give up quick under the heat.

Don't feel bad, I can't get grates for mine either and I know exactly what it is. The company is still in business but they no longer make the boiler. The grates are available but there is no one left at the factory that remembers which foundry they are at. :)

EasySteaminBT

Post by EasySteaminBT » Fri. Aug. 22, 2008 9:23 am

The grates are most likely cast Iron. You would have to fabricate whatever part it is that is missing and weld it. Be advised, you need a stick welder to weld cast Iron. A mig will not work for welding cast Iron. Send some pictures.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Aug. 22, 2008 10:13 am

You will also have to heat the thing to about 800*, then weld it and allow it to cool very, very slowly to get it to last.

EasySteaminBT

Post by EasySteaminBT » Fri. Aug. 22, 2008 8:56 pm

If you cant heat it to 800 degrees, throw it in your oven and set it to the highest it will go, then remove it and weld it. :crazy:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”