New stove install progress

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 9:04 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 9:10 pm
I used the red stove caulk on the door to.seal it. I use a knife to cut through the caulk at end of season and clean out the clean out. Then a little more caulk and close it back up.
Do you suppose a person could use the caulk like this and sandwich it between to pieces of wax paper and make a thin gasket?

Seems like that could work and just close the door tightly on the gasket and trim any excess.

Just me thinking out loud…

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 9:33 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 9:04 pm
Do you suppose a person could use the caulk like this and sandwich it between to pieces of wax paper and make a thin gasket?

Seems like that could work and just close the door tightly on the gasket and trim any excess.

Just me thinking out loud…
Could it be done? Certainly. Did I think that far ahead? Nope. :roll:

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Sep. 11, 2022 12:46 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 9:33 pm
Could it be done? Certainly. Did I think that far ahead? Nope. :roll:
Bwahahaha!!! :lol: :lol:

zachary193
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Sun. Sep. 11, 2022 9:51 am

coalder wrote:
Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 8:13 am
Just as a point of reference, you could have gotten away with an 8X8 in flue tile while using an 8" thimble. True, the thimble is a tad bigger than the inside of block & flue, but just requires shaving the inside of the block slightly with a demo saw. Then you cut the hole in the flue tile with an angle grinder & diamond blade till the thimble penetrates the flue. Yes, the thimble will overlap the sides of the flue slightly, But all should get packed well with refractory cement , so all is good.

This has been an accepted practice since flue tiles were invented.

Just passing this along so folks don't think you need a 12" flue for an 8" thimble.

Your job looks fine so far.

Jim

Thanks ,

I was concerned about 8” cutting into the radius parts of the liner and loosing strength . 8” materials would have saved me a pile of money thought !

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Sun. Sep. 11, 2022 11:33 am

Well my friend you are there now so best to just keep going. And, by the looks of things you are going to have to cut a small piece of flue for the top. Just make sure you put the cut end down. Because flue tiles are glazed & when they are cut, the cut is no longer glazed & subject to the elements. With the cut up they will flake & fail.

Also......Do you have the required 18 inch clearance from your thimble to your floor joists??? hard to tell from the photo, but looks awful tight.

Jim

zachary193
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Fri. Sep. 16, 2022 12:31 am

Yeah I’m well within 18” from the joists , actually I have som pvc plumbing that’s closer than the joists . I made my clearance from the closest combustible . The manual said with proper fire proofing it could be within 9” . I’m coming out at around 4 foot in the middle of an 8 foot wall so I’m well far away

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”