Hitzer 50-93 door glass

Bagodonuts
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea Blaschak anthracite

Post by Bagodonuts » Thu. Jun. 30, 2022 9:49 pm

Has anybody replaced the door glass in a Hitzer 50-93 in the not-so-distant past? Can it be done yourself or best left to a stove shop? Any idea on what it should cost? Mine has about 4 seasons on it and the glass is not pretty.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Jun. 30, 2022 11:22 pm

Do it yourself and order from Hitzer. Probably just as cheap from him, plus you’ll get the correct type, kind, and size of glass. They use Robax glass which is better than typical Neoceram glass…which is used in a lot of wood stoves. The Robax is also thicker.

Call Hitzer and ask for Dean and he will walk you right through it. It’s not hard at all. You’ll just need a gasket to go around the glass. They sell that too.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Jun. 30, 2022 11:26 pm

My glass is three years old now. Still clean and clear.

I wipe the fly ash off of it at every loading or every second loading. I try to do it every time. About once a week I open the doors, cover the stove door opening with heavy foil, I let the glass cool down and then I clean with Rutland glass cleaner. That product and my technique has been working flawless so far.

Bagodonuts

Post by Bagodonuts » Thu. Jun. 30, 2022 11:36 pm

OK! Thanks for the info! I'll be checking with Hitzer soon!

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Fri. Jul. 01, 2022 12:54 am

I wouldn't be surprised if it's cheaper directly from Hitzer or a local dealer, but here's a dealer selling it on ebay with free shipping. $109.99 + tax.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223253434341?hash=item33 ... SwfVhZ-nlU

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 11:10 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Thu. Jun. 30, 2022 11:26 pm

I wipe the fly ash off of it at every loading or every second loading. I try to do it every time. About once a week I open the doors, cover the stove door opening with heavy foil, I let the glass cool down and then I clean with Rutland glass cleaner. That product and my technique has been working flawless so far.
I believe it is Keystoker that sells(includes) a door blank off piece of steel with the purchase of their hopper fed hand fired for the exact scenario you describe with cleaning the glass. Would be nice if hitzer did the same thing. My glass will be going on its 8th season this year (if I decide to burn any coal this winter) and looks like crap but is still sealed up.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 9:32 am

I'm not gonna win any beauty contests ,BUT--I can still see through most of mine--(10 seasons)-try an orbital sander (fine) on the inside--nothin ventured--nothin gained!!!! :lol:

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 3:06 pm

Orbital sander with a soft cloth and rubbing compound, maybe.. any sand paper will leave it completely obscured..

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 3:48 pm

BlackBetty06 wrote:
Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 11:10 pm
I believe it is Keystoker that sells(includes) a door blank off piece of steel with the purchase of their hopper fed hand fired for the exact scenario you describe with cleaning the glass. Would be nice if hitzer did the same thing. My glass will be going on its 8th season this year (if I decide to burn any coal this winter) and looks like crap but is still sealed up.
I think I remember you or someone else mention that before. That's a great idea. I need to mention that to Dean at Hitzer.

Bagodonuts

Post by Bagodonuts » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 9:12 pm

Update: I ordered new glass from Hitzer this morning, my order already shipped. New door glass with gasket, new retainer, screws for the retainer and new hopper lid gasket came in at just over $100. $35 shipping though. I was quite surprised at the parts prices at Hitzer. The whole front door, handle and all lists for $288. Very reasonable I think. Hoytman, I'm gonna follow your advice on keeping the glass clean. I have found that Reynolds heavy duty tinfoil works just fine as a block off when I clean the glass, good enough for me. Thanks for the advice!

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Thu. Sep. 22, 2022 9:51 am

Hoytman wrote:
Thu. Jun. 30, 2022 11:26 pm

I do about the same, with the exception that I really soak down the glass with the Rutland glass cleaner, then I use one of those scrapers that they use to scrape the inspection stickers off on your windshield. The scraper really get's the glass clean, almost like new. This method works really well when burning wood for the glass.

Bagodonuts

Post by Bagodonuts » Fri. Sep. 30, 2022 9:26 pm

Sooo...Cleaned hopper lid & door gasket surfaces glued in the new gaskets, removed/replaced the door glass, all very easy. I called Hitzer for a quick question I had, Dean was not there but his wife spoke to me, very knowledgeable and pleasant, also spoke to Mark who was very helpful and gave me a few insights on the stove. I put the door back on this evening and as I expected it doesn't really want to close and latch with that thick new rope gasket on there. Rather than force it I have been sneaking up on it by just holding pressure on it with my arms. It's close. Gave up for tonight. Any "tricks" out there? Maybe I'm missing something?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Oct. 01, 2022 9:24 am

Nope--just do what you're doin--what size gasket rope did ya end up useing???

Bagodonuts

Post by Bagodonuts » Sat. Oct. 01, 2022 10:07 am

Hey Fred! I was hoping you would see that post! I it's 3/4" rope. Hitzer sent it to me along with 1/2" rope for the hopper lid. As always, thanks for the help! I always feel better when I get the "Freetown Fred seal of approval"!!

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sat. Oct. 01, 2022 11:07 am

I see you’ve already ordered the glass from Hitzer. That was the best option. I’ve ordered stuff from them numerous times. I’m definitely a happy Hitzer customer.
As for the bolts that hold the glass glad you bought new ones. They will break. Well most likley anyway. I’ve restored or replaced numerous pieces of stove glass and I’ve broke almost every bolt. The holes in the mounting brackets are oblong. Just re drill new holes a 1/16 of an inch away from the original broken holes and bolt them in. One of the hints dean had given me was only removed one side bracket. Pop and pull out the glass. Then the new glass will slide into place. Put the new bolts in and send it.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”