zachary193
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Thu. Sep. 22, 2022 12:04 am

Hoytman wrote:
Wed. Jun. 22, 2022 3:24 pm
Please do come back and give us a report on the DS Energymax 160 once you get it hooked up and running this winter. We don’t see many DS reviews so it’ll be good to hear from some owners of them.

They seem like well built stoves. I’d like to have a 110 or Comfortmax 75 myself, if for nothing else but to tinker around with.

Absolutely will , my wife is already dreading of recording me talk about this stove ! I enjoy reading and learning information and also sharing what I’ve learned as well . I visited ds stoves this summer at their open house and we have a local amishman that sells them . I looked at hitzers locally and ds seemed to be the best option . If it works well for the Amish it should work well for myself . I believe ds stoves said at their open house they manufacture around 7,000 units per year . It also helped that the dealer had some stoves in stock this summer and hitzer did not . I was kinda worried about getting one .

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Thu. Sep. 22, 2022 9:20 am

zachary193 wrote:
Wed. Jun. 22, 2022 12:24 am
I’m located in south western pa . The liners I can get that are readily available are 8x12 . The chimney will be on the outside of the home as well
I have an 8 x 11" flue liner that is about 20'. About 6' is above the roof line. Earlier I added an extra piece on top of that. I live at the bottom of the blue mountains and some times we get very strong down drafts. They are so strong, that when burning wood I used to get puff backs. I added a cap with a spark arrestor on top of my flue, which seems to help quite a bit. When I had my old heatrola I would be awakened in the early hours with a smoke filled room. That was a horrible time. After I got the chimney cap, that eliminated the problem. I always had a co detector so that wasn't a problem, just the smoke. Getting back to the liner subject. I think that what the guy's say here is that you want to match up the liner with your output size pipe. But I personally think that you can make just about anything work if you need to.
My brother has a fireplace and his stone chimney is unlined and is huge. One time when he was younger he locked himself out and he climbed down that chimney, only to find out he couldn't get past the damper. That's how big it is! Anyway he uses that chimney to run his Hitzer into it, and before that he had a small Better N Bens stove which he used with no issues. So a larger chimney can work. It all depends!

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Thu. Sep. 22, 2022 9:41 am

cosmacart wrote:
Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 11:07 pm
would it be a good cheap idea to insulate around clay liner withSAND!!!
I think with sand you are more like isolating than insulating. With - Vermiculite- Perlite there is more of an insulating quality, which in theory will keep your liner warmer, thus creating more draft and less creosote if you are burning or ever choose to burn wood. I guess this works, just to how efficient it is , I don't know. If I were to build a new chimney, I would probably use this technique, but since I have what I have, I will just have to make do with what I got.

cosmacart

Post by cosmacart » Thu. Sep. 22, 2022 1:50 pm

i really dont understand what you mean by isolating rather then insulating,, but thank you for the reply!! I kinda thought sand would insulate,,it holds heat well, fireproof ,and waterproof if water should get inside somehow.

zachary193
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Fri. Sep. 23, 2022 6:39 pm

Shimmy down the chimney is a new definition to Santa clause ! With the block I got there is not much room for insulation around the Liner . I should have 18 foot above the peak hopefully that’s enough if not we’ll add some to it

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”