Thoughts on the 2022-2023 winter

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 11:30 am

I am wondering if anyone has concerns about getting coal for this next winter? Also how much more are we going to pay for it?
I am glad that my stoves are kinda dual fuel, but all that work that's involved with wood, plus feeding the stoves every two to four hours gets old. Especially during the middle of the night. But with the way things are going, I can't even fathom how the gas and oil burners are going to fair out. Somewhere down the line people are going to get fed up with this nonsense and I am concerned on what the future might have in store for us. Not so much as for the coal burners, but more for the unrest that lies in the future for all Americans.
I was kind of wondering how all you are fairing out and what your contingency plans are for the future?
I am on a limited income, and $1300.00 a month just ain't cutting it anymore.
The way I see it this is building up to a breaking point rapidly. I really didn't want to make this political, so getting back to the original question, what are your plans for surviving this next heating season?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 11:46 am

I might be panicking, but I would advise that everyone tries to get at least a full winters worth of coal immediately, if not sooner. Luckily, my coal guy gave me his word to deliver 2 winters worth in the next couple weeks before he has to raise his prices anymore. But I'm not counting my chickens till I see 12 tons in a bin out in the yard. Lucky again, I have the cash on hand to do it. I know there are others that live pay check to pay check and I feel bad for their struggle..

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 12:20 pm

I called my dealer and one other that I have used, both were sold out.
My better one told me it would be close to or a bit over $600 ton when it came in,
that is for Lehigh bagged. The other hasn't gotten back to me with a price yet.
Oil around here is between $4.50 and $6.20 per gallon depending on who you use.
Last year the coal was $280 and oil was $2.40.
I'm fortunate in that I have close to 3 ton left over and between my brother on the farm and myself we supposedly have
a considerable amount of oil locked in at $4.04 we have to take delivery by Nov but that shouldn't be a problem by the time we get through summer hay and forage harvesting and fall forage and top of the tanks.
But we may end up burning some wood in the coal burners and I'll use the heat side of the mini-splits a lot more this fall.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 1:30 pm

Mostly wood for me except I do still have 1/2 a ton for my Chubby and may just pay the piper for another 1000 pounds somewhere this summer no matter the cost. it is what it is I guess. I'll watch facebook for deals also. Its not like propane will be cheaper, it wont be. Lignite is 60 miles away and i can get that if I go that direction but not worth special trips.... Ive already accepted most of this, it just took 2 days, lol

Im hoping for a real warm winter world wide except in Russia.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 2:24 pm

I have 2 ton, plus 15 bags of Lehigh nut/stove for this coming Winter. The 'woodshed' holds 6 cord........I'm working on filling it.........burn wood .........save the blackrocks 'til it gets real, real cold...... And, I have a 100 gal. of oil........at $6 and up, no thanks......The Yukon's diet will be what fits through the door!!!!!!!!!

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 5:04 pm

it not looking good guys some how some way this needs the brakes put on asap this gov, dont give 2 shits about us !!!!!!!!! period .

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 5:35 pm

So please, somebody help me understand how this works.. Other countries are buying our coal at these inflated prices? Or is our government buying it? I don't fully get what exactly is going on here that would result in doubling/tripling the costs for our anthracite industry.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 5:55 pm

coalfan wrote:
Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 5:04 pm
it not looking good guys some how some way this needs the brakes put on asap this gov, dont give 2 shits about us !!!!!!!!! period .
I do believe a lot of people are having buyers remorse since this last election. Like it or not, we are stuck with him for the rest of his term. And his successors are as bad, if not worse than him.
What I wouldn't do to go back about 3 or 4 years ago. At least I could afford to drive to the store and buy groceries. Yep it looks like I will be burnin wood this winter. At least I got about 2 tons which should get me through the worst of it. My main concern are about my neighbors and the general population, as I think they aren't going to stand for this crap comes winter time. Maybe even before that!
I know this is not a political thread, but sometimes you just have to be concerned.

Jkohanski
Stoker Coal Boiler: ahs s260
Coal Size/Type: pea
Other Heating: fuel oil

Post by Jkohanski » Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 6:22 pm

I have no idea what I am going to do. I can't afford 6 ton right now. Guess I need a 2nd job to heat the house, or turn off the water, winterize it, and live in an igloo.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 9:40 pm

again the worthlees coorupt gov. dont give 2 shits about you or any one else there has to a stop to ,this suffering and its coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 10:06 pm

$600/ton????? This isn’t actually correct is it?

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Jun. 06, 2022 7:37 am

What you paid for last seasons heat. Figure about double that.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Mon. Jun. 06, 2022 7:55 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 10:06 pm
$600/ton????? This isn’t actually correct is it?
Seems that most pricing is at least doubling, then going up more from there..

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jun. 06, 2022 7:57 am

Jkohanski wrote:
Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 6:22 pm
I have no idea what I am going to do. I can't afford 6 ton right now. Guess I need a 2nd job to heat the house, or turn off the water, winterize it, and live in an igloo.
Second job to heat the house, and a third to buy groceries and gasoline. :cry:

My dad gets the award for forward thinking. Normally we buy coal in August or September. This year he insisted on getting a load in March.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Jun. 06, 2022 8:12 am

I might have 7 ton of magic rocks for sale by fall.

$220 a ton + sweat, will help shovel. :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”