Thoughts on the 2022-2023 winter

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 1:00 am

I have a Harman TL300 downdraft stove. A non cat stove with an unusual way it operates and burns the smoke. The Specs claim its 83% efficient. Not sure if that is completely accurate but it is an amazing stove that can heat my 3000 sq ft house on 3 floors to almost 80 deg in any kind of cold weather with the help of fan forced floor vents.
From the stove specs:
Specifications Harman TL300 Modern Wood Stove
Width 27.06"
Height 37.44"
Depth 29.38"
Maximum Log Length 20"
EPA 1st Hour Peak BTU's 72,100
Heating Capacity 1,600 - 4,300 Sq. Ft.
Emissions 1.1 Grams/Hr
Efficiency 83.3%
Firebox Size 3.0 Cu. Ft.
Fuel Wood
Shipping Weight 525 lbs.
Flue Size 6"
Outside Air Size 3" or 4"
Burns up to 17 hours on a single load of wood.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 6:52 am

That's pretty impressive for wood.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 8:18 am

I google the TL-300 and was not very impressed. Expensive repair parts which seems to happen with Harman wood stoves sometimes. I could go on but search yourselves if you want too. The grill is nice. But Im glad yours has worked well for you K2. There are probably many happy burners out there.

It just seems like the more gadget happy they get with wood stoves it often causes added expense. When parts start costing over $200/year average I might as well keep using my $200 stove I bought 22 years ago and either cut or buy more wood. I do think most of the basic secondary air stoves are fine and a few of the cat stoves that dont need the cat replaced often would be nice. But when they start re-inventing the wheel too much its just to sell parts.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 7:58 pm

warminmn wrote:
Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 8:18 am
I When parts start costing over $200/year average I might as well keep using my $200 stove I bought 22 years ago and either cut or buy more wood.
I havnt put a penny into the stove since i bought it 14 yrs ago. My personal best on one load of wood is 17hours. Still has all original parts. I dont have the free time to be loading a wood stove so its used these days as a backup heat source. But i did use it full time for a few years .The coal is easier and get heat to every room without fans in vents.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 8:18 pm

k-2 wrote:
Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 7:58 pm
I havnt put a penny into the stove since i bought it 14 yrs ago. My personal best on one load of wood is 17hours. Still has all original parts. I dont have the free time to be loading a wood stove so its used these days as a backup heat source. But i did use it full time for a few years .The coal is easier and get heat to every room without fans in vents.
If it will go that long than what is the difference between that and coal for you? Is it that it can go long but not as steady heat ?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 8:48 pm

k-2 wrote:
Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 7:58 pm
that paragraph from me was not specifically about the model you have. the previous paragraph was. When I read on the hearth website or research woodstove reviews I see a lot of pricey repairs mentioned on so many models that have moved past secondary air tubes that it scares me. Especially with the new costs. I mostly buy used as do you.

But if you do google your model most of the first posts are not very kind. Hearth website has lots of negatives also. Im glad you've had good luck. Im sure many have. They should post good comments somewhere online as you've done.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 1:42 am

warminmn wrote:
Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 8:48 pm
I mostly buy used as do you.
But if you do google your model most of the first posts are not very kind. Hearth website has lots of negatives also. Im glad you've had good luck. Im sure many have. They should post good comments somewhere online as you've done.
I bought the Harman stove new,it was about $2500.00 . All(5)of my wood stoves iv bought were new not counting the ones iv made myself. I did see some of those post on hearth about replacement expense with the after burn chamber. Something iv never had to do so far. I personally did give the Harman stove a good review on Hearth.com. Most of my wood stove problems were with a Summers Heat Big Madison which Englander replaced under warranty with another stove with exactly the same problem on both ,the door tends to warp after a few months and lets too much air in around the door gasket. That is a burn tube style stove that i use in a house im rehabbing.
Last edited by k-2 on Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 1:48 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 8:18 pm
If it will go that long than what is the difference between that and coal for you? Is it that it can go long but not as steady heat ?
The wood stove is hot air which makes the room its in,in a finished basement about 90 degrees. The next floor up will get in the high 70s and the floor above that the low 70s with lots of fans blowing thru floor vents. Would work a lot better in an open concept house. The coal is a hot water boiler that is piped to every room with 3 separate zones so every room is about the same temperature ,no fans needed. The wood is good for shoulder season and for a backup but i mostly use the coal for steady heat with low maintenance.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”