Thoughts on the 2022-2023 winter

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 11:27 am

Yes, good luck with your surgery! Sorry to hear that.

I sign my Dad up for fuel assistance every year and it is complicated but it has to be to prevent scammers. It varies state to state. Coal and wood are no good for assistance here, just the gas, oil, electric versions. Hardly anyone uses oil heat here.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 11:48 am

Thanks for the well wishes charlesosborne2002 , Yes on the heat radiation. I was hoping that the stove manufactures would have more convection options, as I feel that the heat get's more evenly distributed that way. I was really spoiled with that old Estate heatrola. Even though it was a leaky stove, it really distributed the heat evenly through out the house. That really spoiled me. Now I have to supply radiant heat around the house.
Once you have the luxury of convection heat, you never want to go back.
Although the TLC is much more efficient than that old heatrola.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 11:54 am

charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 9:57 am
I think if you ever apply for any help you will find it to be complicated--and difficult.
Depends where you live and who you see. It seems in Philly they hand out SSI like jellybeans.Most claim some mental issue cuz its hard to disprove. I did apply for disability, Was deemed disabled but i never got a dime cuz they said i didnt have enough work credits in the past 5 years regardless of a 50 yr work history before that. Yet the bums all around me who never worked at all, get it their whole life.
Last edited by k-2 on Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house

Post by Hounds51 » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 11:56 am

warminmn wrote:
Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 11:27 am
Yes, good luck with your surgery! Sorry to hear that.

I sign my Dad up for fuel assistance every year and it is complicated but it has to be to prevent scammers. It varies state to state. Coal and wood are no good for assistance here, just the gas, oil, electric versions. Hardly anyone uses oil heat here.
We singed up for coal last year and initially were told that we would get it. Then we were told we didn't qualify. I remember my wife spent quite a bit of time on the phone and also filling out forms only to find out we were rejected. Something about I get too much money and that we owned and had no mortgage payments on our home. I still think it was more political.

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 11:56 am

Sorry for the double post

k-2

Post by k-2 » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 11:59 am

Hounds51 wrote:
Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 11:56 am
I remember my wife spent quite a bit of time on the phone and also filling out forms only to find out we were rejected. Something about I get too much money and that we owned and had no mortgage payments on our home. I still think it was more political.
I have a girl on HUD in a rental and everytime she gets a job they give her a hard time at the HUD office cuz they have to do more paperwork. Yes they rather you have nothing and dont work ,less paperwork for them.
Last edited by k-2 on Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 12:01 pm

k-2 wrote:
Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 11:54 am
Depends where you live and who you see. It seems in Philly they hand out SSI like jellybeans.Most claim some mental issue cuz its hard to disprove. I did apply for disability, Was deemed disabled but i never got a dime cuz they said i didnt have enough work credits in the past 5 years regardless of a 50 yr work history before that. Yet the bums all around me who never worked at all, get it their whole life.
It's all political around Philly and the surrounding areas

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 1:09 pm

Hounds51 wrote:
Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 11:48 am
Thanks for the well wishes charlesosborne2002 , Yes on the heat radiation. I was hoping that the stove manufactures would have more convection options, as I feel that the heat get's more evenly distributed that way. I was really spoiled with that old Estate heatrola. Even though it was a leaky stove, it really distributed the heat evenly through out the house. That really spoiled me. Now I have to supply radiant heat around the house.
Once you have the luxury of convection heat, you never want to go back.
Although the TLC is much more efficient than that old heatrola.
I replaced a great EPA convection stove for wood with my radiant coal stove, and although the wood stove heated the house, the coziness never compared to my radiant coal. My house is small, under 1000 sq ft, so that is a factor. The radiant heat passes through the wall opening to the dining and kitchen areas, and you can feel it even back in the kitchen. But for other layouts, I'm sure the convection has benefits. I should probably get a couple of radiant gas space heaters for mild periods. I loved the old ones with the clay fingers that got red hot, but I don't think they make them any more. If you look at them used on eBay, they never even know if they work, or whether they use natural gas or propane--they are just junk dealers who sell as-is.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 5:10 pm

C--they don't make anything anymore that actually worked well!!!! :(

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 11:24 pm

I got Liheap already after surgeries in 2013. It was hard to find a coal breaker that would take it. Reading Anthracite was the only breaker near me that would take liheap. I had to haul the whole allowance in one day not a easy task for someone that was going thru skin removal surgeries, glad i had help. My friend that owned the property got liheap also, he had COPD and was missing fingers on one hand. Skip passed away in 2020. We had to split the address he lived at 35 and i lived at 35A. same building but seperate heat and we had our own kitchens and bathrooms.

Bagodonuts
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea Blaschak anthracite

Post by Bagodonuts » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 9:17 pm

Hey, just a heads-up here...I'm a die-hard Blaschak's coal user but Jeddo up near Hazleton is selling nut at $198/ton. That's the lowest price I've heard of in some time.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Thu. Sep. 22, 2022 1:28 am

Bagodonuts wrote:
Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 9:17 pm
Hey, just a heads-up here...I'm a die-hard Blaschak's coal user but Jeddo up near Hazleton is selling nut at $198/ton. That's the lowest price I've heard of in some time.
Thats a great price. If its good coal. Some of the cheap stuff is not good quality. Some is.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Sep. 22, 2022 10:08 am

I can vouch for Jeddo.. I think it's great coal. And for $198 a ton I wish I could get a TT load of it.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Sep. 22, 2022 10:19 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Sep. 19, 2022 6:14 pm
A pity that consideration does not apply to many in government. :roll:

Paul
:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Thu. Sep. 22, 2022 11:02 am

Lightning wrote:
Thu. Sep. 22, 2022 10:08 am
I can vouch for Jeddo.. I think it's great coal. And for $198 a ton I wish I could get a TT load of it.
Yes, Tractor Supply is twice that and they are my only supplier.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”