Thoughts on the 2022-2023 winter

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Jun. 28, 2022 1:55 pm

That's how we do it also, except ours is green. My son and I do most of the cutting, splitting and loading. My mother drives the tractor and stacks her own. (We are not allowed to help stack, we don't do it the right way.)

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Jun. 29, 2022 1:13 pm

wood is out of the question here. Mom has asthma and can't stand the smell. it's bad enough that 2 of my neighbors burn wood. we live in a valley and the air does not always move the best.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Wed. Jun. 29, 2022 7:52 pm

Hounds51 wrote:
Sun. Jun. 05, 2022 11:30 am
I am wondering if anyone has concerns about getting coal for this next winter? Also how much more are we going to pay for it?
I am glad that my stoves are kinda dual fuel, but all that work that's involved with wood, plus feeding the stoves every two to four hours gets old. Especially during the middle of the night. But with the way things are going, I can't even fathom how the gas and oil burners are going to fair out. Somewhere down the line people are going to get fed up with this nonsense and I am concerned on what the future might have in store for us. Not so much as for the coal burners, but more for the unrest that lies in the future for all Americans.
I was kind of wondering how all you are fairing out and what your contingency plans are for the future?
I am on a limited income, and $1300.00 a month just ain't cutting it anymore.
The way I see it this is building up to a breaking point rapidly. I really didn't want to make this political, so getting back to the original question, what are your plans for surviving this next heating season?
I checked with my Tractor Supply here in Southwest KY, and they have the same price they have had since I started coal 4 winters back--$6.49. They run it for $6 on sale, but I never know when that will be--even my store does not know, because this area does not normally stock it, so their ad schedule never shows it. (They get it for me and a few blacksmiths.) I will pick up the 20 bags they have on hand now from last year, but I don't think their warehouse gets it in until August.

Last year, I only used coal from Christmas to the end of February, so I only used about a ton and a half--it was a mild winter like the year before. The most I have used was two and a half.

My guess is that anthracite in bags is not much affected by other market energy prices--it is not used in power plants and the consumer market today is quite small compared to any other fuels. On the other hand, it is expensive to transport by train, truck, or barge (though barges are generally going to be going downstream from anthracite country). The fact that we could use wood (often for free) means we are not trapped as we are with gasoline, kerosene, propane, and natural gas. The US is busy preparing to supply liquified natural gas to Europe next winter, so that could increase world demand. There is plenty of bit coal in the world, and Germany is converting electric plants to that for the near future. They will be glad to see the back of Russia for their energy.

Dreamcatcher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska kodiak

Post by Dreamcatcher » Fri. Jul. 01, 2022 8:19 pm

Just got a small wood stove as a backup I am going use this to help cut back on coal usage Have not burned wood in twenty years but what are going to do I don’t think it’s going to get any better and refuse to buy fuel oil

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Fri. Jul. 01, 2022 11:01 pm

Dreamcatcher wrote:
Fri. Jul. 01, 2022 8:19 pm
Just got a small wood stove as a backup I am going use this to help cut back on coal usage Have not burned wood in twenty years but what are going to do I don’t think it’s going to get any better and refuse to buy fuel oil
Make sure it is one of the new EPA approved stoves. They make heat instead of smoke and creosote.

Dreamcatcher

Post by Dreamcatcher » Sat. Jul. 02, 2022 7:51 am

Yes it’s a EPA stove going to tie it into the fireplace and still use the Keystocker on the porch just keeping the temp down should help to cut back on the coal

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sat. Jul. 02, 2022 9:50 am

Dreamcatcher wrote:
Sat. Jul. 02, 2022 7:51 am
Yes it’s a EPA stove going to tie it into the fireplace and still use the Keystocker on the porch just keeping the temp down should help to cut back on the coal
Make sure you use dry wood. Most wood takes 1 yr to dry after its split. Oak 2 or 3. I use a lot of reclaimed wood from rehabbing old houses,wall studs, floor joists ect. Been drying for 100yrs.

Dreamcatcher

Post by Dreamcatcher » Sat. Jul. 02, 2022 11:07 am

We live in Pa in the middle of the woods have plenty of dead trees to come down of course nothing is dry called the local saw mill and they have slab wood that is dry and relatively cheep thinking about getting some till I get some wood stocked up have no idea how many cords of wood l would need

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sat. Jul. 02, 2022 11:54 am

Dreamcatcher wrote:
Sat. Jul. 02, 2022 11:07 am
We live in Pa in the middle of the woods have plenty of dead trees to come down of course nothing is dry called the local saw mill and they have slab wood that is dry and relatively cheep thinking about getting some till I get some wood stocked up have no idea how many cords of wood l would need
Great alternative.Slab wood.Somtimes they will dump a whole truckload for a few bucks. This coming winter will be challenging as people run from oil to other forms of heat.I expect a lot of house fires. Some from trying to heat a whole house with plugin electric heaters which is wildly expensive anyway

Dreamcatcher

Post by Dreamcatcher » Sat. Jul. 02, 2022 2:13 pm

I am thinking if I get 3cords of wood together it should help a lot keeping the keystoker set low I feel sorry for people with no alternative heat there going to have a hard time this winter

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jul. 02, 2022 2:50 pm

If you have a tractor with a loader and a good sharp saw (as in a wood boss Stihl) you can cut a whole bundle in under 15 minutes.

Lay 2 log chains on the ground spaced apart a few feet lining up with center of bundle. Push the bundle onto the chain. Wrap chains around the the bundle and hook each chain to the loader spaced apart. Lift the bundle, not into the air but close. It would be more dangerous lifted into the air so you just want to tighten all the wood up.

Cut off each end. Then just keep working your way in, alternating ends. I like to leave a few boards full length on the bottom to hold the bundle together until the rest are cut.

Might sound like BS but Ive probably cut 30 bundles like that and its slick. The only downfall is you will have some shorter pieces. It takes longer to pick them up then it will to cut it. But having the bundle tight lets your saw go right thru without pieces getting hung up on the saw or getting thrown in your face.

Sawing them when green is easier than when cured. Cord wood got a little expensive here and thats when I found coal.

musikfan1968
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge 144.08.02

Post by musikfan1968 » Sat. Jul. 02, 2022 3:49 pm

I can't remember if I replied on this thread or not, but here in central PA, I paid 230.00 a ton for my pea coal. I have 3 tons in my outside bin and almost 1 ton in my inside bin, so I hope I'm good to go for the winter. If I were to by bagged coal, around here it would cost me a lot more - probably at least 300.00 per ton....

Dreamcatcher

Post by Dreamcatcher » Sat. Jul. 02, 2022 7:06 pm

Good idea with the chains and bundling of the wood My probably is I have a lot of wood down but nothing is dry I tock down two large ash tree down last week was not ready for this coal increase now trying to get a head of it like most of us

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jul. 02, 2022 9:30 pm

Dreamcatcher wrote:
Sat. Jul. 02, 2022 7:06 pm
Good idea with the chains and bundling of the wood My probably is I have a lot of wood down but nothing is dry I tock down two large ash tree down last week was not ready for this coal increase now trying to get a head of it like most of us
Get it cut and split and it'll be dry enough for this winter. Ash dries fast and will burn if still on the green side with minimal creosote.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Jul. 03, 2022 10:38 am

If your planning to burn wood get yourself a moisture tester. They are only a few dollars. Anything over 20% does not burn well in an EPA stove. Or any other kind of stove. Worse yet your heat output is reduced, sometimes greatly reduced. Iv seen guys burning up lots of drywood just trying to get the wet wood to burn at all. Another hazard of burning wet wood is chimney fires. My brother had one or more every year, was lucky he didnt burn down the house.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”