Hitzer 50-93/354: Grate frame removal

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Jun. 04, 2022 7:46 pm

Anyone have any tips for grate FRAME removal?

Everything is out and cleaned except for the frame for the grates. I don’t really need to remove it for cleaning, but it’s his frame from a 1998 era stove is slightly different than the new grate frame. This frame has brick retainer weld to hold bottom of bricks where as newer frames do not from what I was told and seen at Hitzer.

As you can see why Hitzer removed the brick lip on the grate, ash builds up in some areas and causes a bulging in the retainer and as a result I believe was causing an issue with bricks breaking in the spot you see on a regular basis. This is likely to by Hitzer changed the design slightly.

I tried and tried to remove the grate frame. Must not have been holding my mouth right, or something.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Wed. Jun. 08, 2022 5:02 am

I would think it should lift up out like the others. Yes, probably bound with ash / rust.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Jun. 08, 2022 9:22 am

oliver power wrote:
Wed. Jun. 08, 2022 5:02 am
I would think it should lift up out like the others. Yes, probably bound with ash / rust.
I have it all cleaned out and everything else has been removed, cleaned, and laying on the hearth. I thought with everything out it would just lift out but the corners were giving me fits. Haven't tried to anymore since to remove it, been busy with other things.

The reasons I wanted to remove it was to:

1. Make it easier to get down into the bottom for cleaning.
2. Now that it gave me fits trying to remove it, just learning how it removes and replaces is something I need to learn. LOL!
3. Since the newer grates don't seem to have the bottom brick retainer welded to the frame I thought about taking a cut-off wheel and removing the brick ledge (after discussing with Dean to be sure of the more recent frame design) just to see if that would keep from breaking so many bricks. Then again, bricks are cheap and it's only the two bricks that seem to break every year. The same two all the other older stoves had problems with breaking.

capedory28

Post by capedory28 » Fri. Dec. 01, 2023 7:07 pm

Hello Hoytman, This is the way the frame comes out:
#1. Remove the fire brick.
#2. Remove both grates.
#3. There are four taps that are welded to the inside walls of the stove, that the frame sits on. Two in the back and two on the front wall. Lift the frame straight up about two (2) inches. Now as you are looking in from the front of the stove, take the left rear corner of the frame and lower it below the tab that it sits on and raise the right hand side of the frame as high as you can and work it towards the door. Keep the other three corners above the tabs that they sit on. It will clear by about 3/16" of an inch. Be careful with your fingers so not to pinch them. You will have an "aw moment" and to put it back in just reverse the steps, it will go right back in.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 01, 2023 8:20 pm

Yep, sorry Billy--bricks gotta come out!!! :o :roll: :lol:

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Dec. 02, 2023 9:38 am

Hoytman wrote:
Wed. Jun. 08, 2022 9:22 am
I have it all cleaned out and everything else has been removed, cleaned, and laying on the hearth. I thought with everything out it would just lift out but the corners were giving me fits. Haven't tried to anymore since to remove it, been busy with other things.
Old thread. I had removed everything, but couldn’t get the grate frame to budge. I’ll give it a try at the end of this season per capedory28’s directions. Thanks capedory28. :yes:

By the way, I need to make a correction.

Above I commented that Hitzer had removed the rear brick retainer that’s welded to the grate frame. I actually seen that with my own eyes. However, looked inside another new 354 this fall (2023) and the brick retainer was there and was the first thing I noticed. I could have sworn Dean had told me they’d removed it for reasons mentioned in this thread, but apparently and obviously it was inside this new stove on the showroom floor in fall of 2023. Dean wasn’t available to talk to at the time.

Next time I go up to Hitzer I’ll clarify and report back.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 02, 2023 12:07 pm

Waitin patiently. :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”