I bought one!!!

Paper
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Working on it
Other Heating: Woodland wood stove

Post by Paper » Mon. May. 23, 2022 12:21 pm

It's a Sears made by King O Heat. #201
Needs some cleanup, but I think I have time before I'll need to run it. :D

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. May. 23, 2022 2:31 pm

Looks good. I guess you guy's out there use soft coal. Looks like that can handle that.
Show us your progress in the restoration of that baby.
Also there ain't many on the as the burn season is over around here. But there are still some of us checking in from time to time, so keep on posting. We are glad to help you out if possible

Paper

Post by Paper » Mon. May. 23, 2022 2:58 pm

Thanks!! My plan is to sand blast it and stove black it once cleaned. I'm not using it where I'm at now (Northern IL) but will be setting it up at my place in Wyoming, once approved by insurance.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. May. 23, 2022 6:08 pm

Now the fun begins P!! :)

Paper

Post by Paper » Fri. Jun. 17, 2022 2:37 pm

Well, I got it home the other day. It's in really great condition!! As mentioned, I'm going to sand blast most everything and give it a good coat of stove black and then fire it to get everything heated and cured. The ash pan is rusty, so I'm going to weld up a new one if I find it too thin and worn. (Been a sheet metal fabricator for 30 years and I'm trying to talk my self out of a stainless 18 gauge pan)
I'm going to install new stove bolts where applicable, and the bricks look really good. I don't think it's seen much use.
Will keep everyone updated. Thanks again for the info!!

Oh, and I watched train after train, LOADED with cars full to the brim with coal. I typically take US 20 out there (I hate interstate traffic, and I get much better mileage at 70mph than I do at 85) and around Lusk, WY the rail is less than 100' from the highway. So many trains, with loaded cars full of black rock... Pretty sure a guy could get a nice amount of coal that's fallen off the cars at rail crossings.. ;)

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house

Post by Hounds51 » Fri. Jun. 17, 2022 3:28 pm

Paper wrote:
Fri. Jun. 17, 2022 2:37 pm
Well, I got it home the other day. It's in really great condition!! As mentioned, I'm going to sand blast most everything and give it a good coat of stove black and then fire it to get everything heated and cured. The ash pan is rusty, so I'm going to weld up a new one if I find it too thin and worn. (Been a sheet metal fabricator for 30 years and I'm trying to talk my self out of a stainless 18 gauge pan)
I'm going to install new stove bolts where applicable, and the bricks look really good. I don't think it's seen much use.
Will keep everyone updated. Thanks again for the info!!

Oh, and I watched train after train, LOADED with cars full to the brim with coal. I typically take US 20 out there (I hate interstate traffic, and I get much better mileage at 70mph than I do at 85) and around Lusk, WY the rail is less than 100' from the highway. So many trains, with loaded cars full of black rock... Pretty sure a guy could get a nice amount of coal that's fallen off the cars at rail crossings.. ;)
When I was a kid, we used to go to the railroad tracks and pick up the coal that fell out of the cars for my grandfather.
Also on another note. Not sure where you are going to use that, but you might want to consider putting some type of fence/barrier around that stove, as they can get pretty hot and either someone could get burnt or some flammable material could be accidentally stored too close to it.
Of course you might have considered that.

Paper

Post by Paper » Fri. Jun. 17, 2022 3:59 pm

Yep, I've been a wood stove guy since I was a kid and the only thing I want to see more than someone getting burned is a house or chimney fire.
Thanks for the suggestion, though!!

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Fri. Jun. 17, 2022 9:53 pm

Paper wrote:
Fri. Jun. 17, 2022 3:59 pm
Yep, I've been a wood stove guy since I was a kid and the only thing I want to see more than someone getting burned is a house or chimney fire.
Thanks for the suggestion, though!!
Same here, ever since I was a kid. I agree about the chimney fire hazard. Looks like I might have to worry about that again. I got a couple of good brushes, just have to get up on the roof in the middle of the winter to clean them.

Paper

Post by Paper » Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 7:51 am

I'm lucky with my current home/wood stove, as I takes me less time to fold out my ladder to get on my roof, than it does to pull the cap and brush the chimney. It's about a 10 minute job, from beginning to end, so I clean it every 2 weeks just to keep my draft at full draw and the chimney clean. Also, my old Woodland airtight stove is too big for my house, so I have to run it damped down pretty well, or I'll have windows open and wearing shorts when it's -10F outside. :lol:

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Sun. Jun. 19, 2022 4:13 pm

Welcome to the group paper , do yourself a favor and make at least 2 ash pans so you don’t have to move a warm pan ( it’s like a dust bomb when warm ) I have 3 because my pan design is shallow , I have one made of stainless , the only drawback is it reflects the heat back at bottom of grates so I give it a couple shakes when putting that one in . Be sure to seal around ash door and check bottom ash put for any pinholes so you can easily address leakage now

Paper

Post by Paper » Sun. Jun. 19, 2022 4:17 pm

Excellent info!! If I'm making one, there's no reason not to make 2. I'll give everything a good inspection for leaks, also.
Thanks!!!!

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Jun. 20, 2022 6:58 am

Good To See! Welcome To "Da' Show"!!👍😎

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”