Looking at a Fatso

Paper
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Working on it
Other Heating: Woodland wood stove

Post by Paper » Mon. May. 09, 2022 2:47 pm

I found a King Stove 200 Fatso and might be picking it up this weekend. I'm waiting for the owner to get back from vacation for some more photos, but what I've found on the interwebs doesn't show any firebrick on the inside of these.. Is that normal??
Looks like a nice, old timey, inexpensive coal burner to add secondary heat on cold nights.

Thoughts??? Good or bad idea?? Now's the time for me to learn as I haven't spent a dime, yet.. :yes:

This isn't the one I'm looking at, but very similar, and not even half of this price. The one I'm looking at needs a little wire brushing and a good stove black treatment.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. May. 09, 2022 3:16 pm

It's a canning/laundry type stove. They have small fireboxes and are not meant to heat over night - just a few hours while being fed through that sloped front loading door. Some think they are a small cook stove, but they were meant to heat a "water boiler" for laundry or canning food. They tend to be small so they can more easily be carried outside, which was where many people did laundry or canning.

Do an eBay search of "water boilers" and you'll see the oblong tanks that were made to fit on those two top round covers.

Paul

Paper
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Working on it
Other Heating: Woodland wood stove

Post by Paper » Mon. May. 09, 2022 3:28 pm

Thank you so much!!
I'll keep looking.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”