Hitzer 354 Double Door model

musikfan1968
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge 144.08.02

Post by musikfan1968 » Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 1:53 pm

Hey everyone.

I did a search for this on the forum but only found one article which was not really helpful. I need some input from y'all. I'm looking at a Hitzer 354 but it's the double door model. What kind of coal does it take? Is it a hand-feed? The person selling this is doing it for someone else and they are completely clueless on any of the details. I just have pics and the model number from the plate on the back. It's listed on Craigslist and here is the link if it helps:

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/hsh/d/levitto ... 08915.html

I need to know what kind of coal this model uses and what the BTU ratings are. I did find info on a regular Hitzer 354 and if the specs are the same, then I think I'll be OK, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. The stove appears to be in good condition but there are no pics of the inside. This place is about 2 hours from my home so I really don't want to travel 2 hours to find out that it's bad. Thanks for any input...

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 2:26 pm

Member hoytman has one & can tell you a lot about them. Try a search in upper right, see if you can find some of his posts.
Jim

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 5:13 pm

Mine is heating a small 1350 sq ft home. It’s really to big for today house, but we have made it work. The 254, which is a smaller stove, would suit this house much better, we think, but again, we have made it work.

It will heat up to about 2500-3000 sq ft with ease.

Burns wood, anthracite and bituminous. We burn anthracite nut coal and love it.

Just from looking at the setting that stove is sitting I wouldn’t hesitate to buy that stove. It’s been for sale for awhile. You might find deals cheaper, but you also might not. I found mine for half that price in similar condition, but a much older stove. At that price...knowing what I know now...I’d pay the $800 and not look back without any hesitation. Why? Below...

For my home size 1350 sq ft...
Been burning since November 1st at .9247 lbs per hour...that’s 22 lbs per day, or half a bag daily average...that’s $3 a day for heat. That a win any way I can slice it.

Can give more details later if you have more questions.

musikfan1968

Post by musikfan1968 » Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 6:02 pm

Bill, thank you for getting back to me. I PM'd you so you can just disregard that if you want. ..LOL

So is this stove probably at least 90000 BTU? Sounds like it based on what you are saying.

We are living in a 1700 sf 100+ year old home with new windows but no insulation except for the attic floor. It's a two story house and my living room is about 13 x 30. I also have a dining room that is about 12.5 x 14.5 and then there is a kitchen that is approximatley 10 x 13, to give you an idea of the first floor dimensions.

What is the size of that exhaust pipe on this Hitzer? It looks larger than 6". Is it an 8"? How would that affect my chimney pipe? I am going to have to run a thimble through the wall and run a stainless steel up the side of my house because my one and only chimney is dedicated to my boiler. My chimney guy is going to need to know these details so we can plan accordingly.

musikfan1968

Post by musikfan1968 » Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 6:04 pm

One more thing: What are the dimensions of this particular stove?

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 6:29 pm

100,000 btu
7” exhaust...give me a second on the rest.

Here you go for specs...
https://hitzer.com/our-products/stoves-furnaces/model-354

If you have any more questions let me know. I’m a little busy at the moment but will get back to you later this evening.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 7:08 pm

Here’s a bunch of threads you can read about the 354 double door stove.

search.php?keywords=Hitzer+354+double+door&terms= ... mit=Search

https://hitzer.com/uploads/page/Hitzer_Sales_Shee ... 54_354.pdf

In the above link you will see descriptions of both 254/354 stoves.

If the stove you are looking at has a blower that is a good thing. You want the blower...even if you don’t use it.

Also, take a look at this very recent thread about the 254 Hitzer. You will find burning techniques also apply to the 354.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 7:30 pm

Also, you mentioned hating to drive 2 hours to find out the stove is bad. I highly doubt that stove is bad given the nice clean setting it is in and the good photos.

Just make sure it has a blower on the back...a blower model.

My wall behind my stove runs very cool...and it’s installed much closer than than it should be...and is fine for coal. Burning wood you will want more distance/clearance behind the stove.

If bricks are cracked don’t fret about that. They are cheap.

Coal grates should be nice and flat. Even if they are not you call order replacements directly from Hitzer for cheap.

You will like that stove...and if I can make it work in my house...even though it’s a tad too big...your home use should be fine with it. I doubt you have to run it very hard at all which is good because it will last even longer that way.

Just be sure to clean it out good after each burn season.

What will your chimney set-up be like?

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 9:41 pm

Yes, that is a nice clean looking stove. Looks like it was used more for show than anything.

musikfan1968

Post by musikfan1968 » Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 9:55 pm

Gosh, Guys. I really want to get this stove but I'm kind of stuck until I have things in place with my chimney.

Here's the situation: I have to run a thimble through my wall and up the side of house probably at least 15 to 20 feet up to clear the roofline. But the chimney guy needs to assess things based on the location of the chimney. The wall that I want to use faces north northwest and there is a house about 20 over beside mine. The chimney guy said that you have to be careful where you place the chimney or else you'll get poor updrafts which of course is not good. If the wall I want to use is no good, then I am back to square one trying to figure out where in the house to put my stove. I don't want it in the basement because in my opinion that's useless. Our basement is old- mostly concrete floor with small section of dirt along with a stone parged foundation wall and six foot ceilings. I want my heat in my living space, not down there trying to come up the basement stairway which is the only opening I have. I don't want to put holes in my floor, either, plus heat needs to make its way to the second floor as well. I'm hoping everything will work according to my proposed plan.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 10:31 pm

EDIT:
I didn’t read his above post until after I wrote the post below.

————————————————————

It has come to my attention that his chimney set up will be through the wall and up the outside with stainless steel chimney. I assume double wall insulated.

I suggested we discuss this publicly to get as much input as possible from forum members. The last thing I want to do is steer him towards this stove and then he install an expensive 8” insulated stainless chimney going up the outside of the house. That might present a problem if the chimney is minimally short.

Please give us your proposed chimney height, double or triple wall insulated stainless.

An inside the home chimney will certainly stay warmer and draft better than even an insulated stainless outside chimney. My point is...I am not at all familiar this stove on a stainless chimney let alone being an outside chimney. That could potentially change my thoughts on the purchase of this stove.

Keep in mind a 254 has a 6” exhaust.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Tue. Mar. 22, 2022 5:12 am

Use your existing chimney for the coal stove and power vent the oil boiler...

musikfan1968

Post by musikfan1968 » Tue. Mar. 22, 2022 2:33 pm

nepacoal, interesting proposal. How much does a power vent cost?

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Tue. Mar. 22, 2022 2:52 pm

musikfan1968 wrote:
Tue. Mar. 22, 2022 2:33 pm
nepacoal, interesting proposal. How much does a power vent cost?
I'll look one up but I'm betting it'll be much, much cheaper than a tall stainless double wall chimney installed by a chimney guy!
Last edited by nepacoal on Tue. Mar. 22, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Tue. Mar. 22, 2022 2:56 pm

nepacoal wrote:
Tue. Mar. 22, 2022 2:52 pm
I'll look one up but I'm betting it'll be much, much cheaper than a tall stainless double wall chimney installed by a chimney guy!
Looks like $500 to $900, depending on what model you'll need.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”