Thank you.

Samgeorge
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitser 354
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Samgeorge » Sun. Mar. 20, 2022 9:30 pm

This is my first season burning coal, and thanks to all of your advice and help I was able to lite my stove and keep it running from the first of Dec . Until I let it go out yesterday March 19 with one match. All I did is took your advice and put it to use .thank you all very much.But now to my next problem I tried some wood today and it didn't go to well. I have been reading a lot about the need for over the fire air any suggestions indeed all the help I can get . Thanks again I advance.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 20, 2022 10:03 pm

No suggestions on the wood, but ya did outstanding with the coal S--you'll get some answers--be patient my friend!! :)

Blackburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Dunsley Highlander
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut

Post by Blackburn » Wed. Mar. 23, 2022 6:09 pm

I can't help you with wood, unfortunately. I just don't get on with it at all. Every time I burn it, it's always the same, logs go in and burn real intense for a little while, then turn down the top draft and end up with black glass and a quickly dying fire.

There's just so much more control with coal.......and I never have to clean the glass! I have more joy with compressed heat logs, (an extruded sawdust briquette) but even they are very average, burn for an hour, then gone.

Good luck,

David.

musikfan1968
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge 144.08.02

Post by musikfan1968 » Wed. Mar. 23, 2022 9:30 pm

I have to agree with the others here who have posted replies so far. I burned wood for two years and was always holding my breath in hopes that we wouldn't have any chimney fires or issues. I personally think wood is like the first minute of chewing a stick of gum -a blast of satisfying flavor and then the next minute it goes down hill....well...not exactly like that but you get the idea. In my opinion it's an uneven heat, and after burning coal for a season, I was hooked and will never go back to wood.

Blackburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Dunsley Highlander
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut

Post by Blackburn » Thu. Mar. 24, 2022 3:24 am

Exactly this ☝️

Guess it's just 'all fur coat and no knickers'

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”