Shoulder Season Already ??

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Thu. Mar. 17, 2022 12:31 pm

Gee wizz it's March the 17th and getting 70 degree weather already. Next weeks forecast is in the 60s during the day with an average of low to mid 40s at night. Today their calling for a high of 58 and yesterday it was 68.
I let my lower TLC go out, and by the way it looks, I might keep it out, except for colder evenings which I will probably burn wood in it. But colder weather still might still come. I still have my top TLC running, but I have it ashed up quite a bit so it's just idling along.
What does everyone else have plans for?

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Thu. Mar. 17, 2022 12:45 pm

If I only need an hour of heat.....oil....if longer, throw wood at the Yukon......it likes either. The OAT have been real nice this week.......I raked the leaves out of the flower beds, and daffodils are starting to come up.......no Dan-Dee-Lions, yet!!!!!
Cheers

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house

Post by Hounds51 » Thu. Mar. 17, 2022 12:57 pm

D-frost wrote:
Thu. Mar. 17, 2022 12:45 pm
If I only need an hour of heat.....oil....if longer, throw wood at the Yukon......it likes either. The OAT have been real nice this week.......I raked the leaves out of the flower beds, and daffodils are starting to come up.......no Dan-Dee-Lions, yet!!!!!
Cheers
Our Crocus have started to come up, so spring is here for sure.
We do have an oil burner down below in the lower rooms, but I turn the thermostat down all the way and then we close the door between the down stairs and upstairs. We have a large room downstairs that we use for gatherings and to process meat and make sausage there. I used to turn the oil heat up when we went down there, but it use to constantly run. Now that I have a coal stove down there, we leave the door open and it is nice down there. This Saturday we are having a card party and sausage and potatoes for supper down there, so I will probably make a small wood fire, just to take the chill off before the people come. But now that it's being so warm, I will have to make the sausage and potatoes out on the cook stove outside.Two weeks ago we invited the gang over and had cornbeef and cabbage, which we used both of our TLC's to cook the meal. I guess we had about 8 people over so we made two big kettles of the cornbeef and cabbage via coal stoves. It turned out great.
I love the coal stove top cokkin on the TLC's.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Thu. Mar. 17, 2022 5:23 pm

Where you located .Near Windgap .Im in Orefield Near Allentown .jack

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Fri. Mar. 18, 2022 9:57 am

Den034071 wrote:
Thu. Mar. 17, 2022 5:23 pm
Where you located .Near Windgap .Im in Orefield Near Allentown .jack
I live just north of Lebanon, Also about 18 miles due east of Hershey following rt 78.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Mar. 18, 2022 3:26 pm

Our nights still get too cold to consider it "shoulder season". Even though the days warmed up, it was 30 last night and 27 the night before.

I let the GW #6 base heater go out two days ago and just keep the GW kitchen range going. Half the firebed size of the #6, but enough heat to keep the chill off and cheaper to cook with than the pro-pain stove.

Plus, I just picked up 2 tons for Lehigh bagged nut. It burns hotter than the poor quality bulk I ended up with this year, so it's much easier to keep a slow well-dampered fire going with the Lehigh, yet it's quick to boost temps back up when it's time to cook.

Paul

Hounds51

Post by Hounds51 » Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 11:35 am

As I said, I let my lower stove burn out, and now it's in the high 60's to mid 70's in the day and high 30's to mid 40's predicted for the next week. I now have a more shallow bed of coal in the upper stove and both my secondaries are wide open and my primaries are almost closed. Just enough to keep a glow in the bed. Bedroom windows are full open, and in the afternoon we open the front door.
Over the last two years, my dogs kinda shredded the screens in my screen door, so I must be vigilant in closing the front door before dusk as the stink bugs love to find their way in toward the lights at night.
So it looks like in the immediate future warmer weather, but I know that summer is still a few months away, so I'll still keep a fire going just in case.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 12:32 pm

My Mark 2 isn't enough to heat all winter and I only have the one chimney. Shoulder season for means firing up with coal til I loose the coal fire on a warm day, then wood until no heat is needed. Looking at the forecast, that means coal in the stove tomorrow morning.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 1:27 pm

Hounds51 wrote:
Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 11:35 am
As I said, I let my lower stove burn out, and now it's in the high 60's to mid 70's in the day and high 30's to mid 40's predicted for the next week. I now have a more shallow bed of coal in the upper stove and both my secondaries are wide open and my primaries are almost closed. Just enough to keep a glow in the bed. Bedroom windows are full open, and in the afternoon we open the front door.
Over the last two years, my dogs kinda shredded the screens in my screen door, so I must be vigilant in closing the front door before dusk as the stink bugs love to find their way in toward the lights at night.
So it looks like in the immediate future warmer weather, but I know that summer is still a few months away, so I'll still keep a fire going just in case.

We had the same pet trashing the door screen problem. Replaced the screening and then added 1/4 inch mesh galvanized "hardware cloth" screening over that.

The 1/4 inch hardware cloth is too strong for pet claws to break it and damage the fine-wire bug screen under it, yet you hardly notice it's there.

Paul

tiogajoe
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 105 (sold)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Keystoker HFH 70/90
Other Heating: toyostove

Post by tiogajoe » Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 3:10 pm

My HFH70/90 seems to just idle along even at 70 degrees. I crack the flapper a hair at night as it still gets cold,

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 9:13 pm

Early summer time heat here in south east PA. Temps were near 80 the last two days and lows barely dropped into the 50s. Coal stove has been out for 5 days now and by the report from the weather guessers it looks to stay way too warm for this time of year. I could have kept it idling along but no sense in wasting money and coal by keeping a fire going and the windows open when I’m wearing shorts and tee shirts outside. The price of all fuels including anthracite has gone up so might as well save it for when its needed. In the off chance it gets cool enough for heat, ill flip on the heat pump for 10 minutes and call it done. In the very off chance it gets chilly, Ill burn some firewood. Extremely warm “winter” here again this year. So warm in fact that last year barely burned 2 tons, this year burned. 2.5 tons. 2400 square feet no insulation in the walls and 3 inches of old loose insulation from the 50s in the attic. New windows and doors. Will be mowing grass by next week. Crocus and daffodils in full bloom, tress budded, tiger Lilly are 10” tall already.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”