Hitzer 254 help

billdean
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 254
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Propane

Post by billdean » Sun. Mar. 13, 2022 9:21 pm

I am not new to the Hitzer 254. This is my second one. Initially I purchase one while living in Healy, Alaska. Healy's coal mine was in my back yard so coal was not a problem, though it was Sub-Bituminous and lignite. The 254 handle it well and had know problems with it except for some clinkers and lots of ash.

Now I live in Michigan and purchased the Hitzer 254 for my home here 6 years ago. I mostly burnt wood up until now. I am burning Anthracite nut and pea coal . Wood just got to be way too much work. I don't seem to have a problem burning the coal. Its burns just fine as I have some experience burning coal though Anthracite is different. My question is more on on what I have been observing the stove doing.. I am tending the stove once ever 24 hour. I am getting long burn times with about 32 pounds of coal every 24 hours. My Hitzer 254 has a blower on it. I have noticed when I turn the blower on it seems to inject air into the fire box. Does it? I don't know, but it sure seems like it does. It's not instance but after 15 or 20 minutes the coals really picks up the burn rate. Maybe this is normal. I don't really no. It doesn't seem to effect burn times. When I shut the fan off the glow of the coals goes back down after 15 or 20 minutes. Anyone experience anything like this?

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Mar. 14, 2022 6:55 am

1.) Hmmm, I would say when you turn your fan on, it takes heat off the stove, causing the back flapper door to open, which feeds more air. and when you shut the fan off, the door closes, cutting the air. But I would think you'd know that having run the stove for as long as you have. Yes, that would be normal. I have noticed the fan takes heat off the stove faster than the 30-95 (same fan, same stove body). I contribute that to not having to blow around the hopper. Even with the fan off, the hot air flows out the 254 much better than the 30-95. Again, the air doesn't have to go around the hopper. I have never run any of my Hitzer fans higher than low, if that means anything. I've also noticed it takes more time for the 254 to get settled in, than does the 30-95. The 30-95 is more responsive (quicker) on the bi-metallic.

2.) I would think if the fan was blowing air into the firebox, it would be like forced over fire air, which would calm the fire, not brighten it up. I'm saying this thinking the fan is above the above the fire bed. I'd have to look when I go out to the shop.

Unless you have a pinhole leak within, or below the coal bed, I'm going with number one. No, the fan should not be blowing air into the stove. Question: Did you have the fan model in Alaska?

billdean

Post by billdean » Mon. Mar. 14, 2022 11:39 am

Thanks Oliver......No I did not have the fan model in Alaska. I sure like that fan though. I will be more mindful of the relationship between the flapper door in the back when I turn the fan on. You are probably right. Like I say it doesn't effect my burn times and is not really a problem. I was just kind of curious why it would do that. The last 3 or 4 days has been really cold and windy here. Starting today the temperature are going up into the 40's so I will not be using the fan much at all. I will have to start idling that stove back. Suppose to be 60* Wednesday

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Mar. 14, 2022 9:03 pm

Looking at your coal usage, and burn time, I would say you have the stove down pretty good :) .

billdean

Post by billdean » Mon. Mar. 14, 2022 10:54 pm

The Hitzer 254 seems to be a fairly easy stove to operate. Any other stove I may have had a hard time adjusting too. I remember reading a lot about the 254 back in 2010 when decided to purchase it. I really don’t remember what forum I was on back then, but it may have been this one. I order it from the lower 48 and had it shipped to Anchorage. I can’t say I have ever had a problem adjusting to burning coal, probably because of all my research and probably this forum. Back then I was paying 50.00 a ton for coal. Today I called around and found an end of the season sale for 198.00 a pallet for bagged Blaschak Anthracite nut coal. 50 bags to a pallet. I should buy all they have. That 254 runs well on it. Better than that Alaska coal. Man that stuff was stinky and smokey. I kind of got use to it though, not sure the neighbor did. I would go to the Healy mine and pick up chunks big as basketballs.

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Tue. Mar. 15, 2022 1:17 pm

198- a ton ! buy as many as you possibly can , price is going up 50- per ton here in NY in the next few weeks

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”