Recommendation/Advice, please

musikfan1968
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge 144.08.02

Post by musikfan1968 » Sat. Mar. 12, 2022 6:24 pm

Greetings. I am posting this in hopes that I might get some "updated" information. I did do a search but found very little information, so if I'm missing something elsewhere on the forum, I apologize and you can just redirect me.

I am looking at a Stratford CS75 that someone is selling for 350.00. The guy that currently owns it is very nice and seems honest. He said that it runs about 75000 BTU which would I believe would be about right for my 1700 sf house which is 100+ years old. Does anyone have any current information on these stoves? I've never heard of them before.

If you think these are junk, then I would be grateful for some alternative direction. I have about 1000.00 to spend on a stove, and I want one that does not require any electricity to feed it. I prefer a hopper instead of just shoveling it in the door, but maybe I just need to learn how to deal with that. What brands would be best for that price? What brands should I stay away from? I know that Harman and Alaska and Keystoker are decent brands.... Thank you for any direction, folks.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Mar. 12, 2022 9:08 pm

I did a search on Bing and found several coalpail.com threads with your stove. Should be some information to get you started. Personally I would skip that stove and keep looking for a more mainstream brand name. Finish out your profile so if anybody near you can give a heads up if they see one for sale. I think all coal burners are always looking for a newer, bigger, better, easier, etc type of stove.

musikfan1968
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge 144.08.02

Post by musikfan1968 » Sat. Mar. 12, 2022 9:26 pm

OK. Thanks for your help. I did find those posts earlier on, and they don't say a whole lot negative, but it's not what I would call a rave review either. I'm inclined to lean in your direction and keep looking. I'm sure something will turn up...

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford

Post by ShawnLiNy » Sat. Mar. 12, 2022 9:29 pm

Personally , I would recommend waiting another month or 2 if possible! stoves that are available now will be cheaper and more will be listed as people upgrade . Search FB market place , Craigslist as often as possible , ( things to look for solid grate design, rocker type with external handle as opposed to sliding style that must be accessed from ash door )

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Mar. 13, 2022 7:21 am

Hitzer and DS stoves are popular as well.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”