Anthracite fines?

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Mar. 08, 2022 12:17 pm

Can I box or bag up anthracite fines and burn them like I do bituminous fines? I’ve got a lot.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Mar. 08, 2022 3:52 pm

So, when I ran a hand fed a few years ago I would sift the fines out of my nut/stove size mix during the colder parts of the heating season. Then in the shoulder months I would use the fines to "blanket" the top of the fuel bed for low slow burns. The blanket would help contain heat in the fuel bed and keep the fire in a better state of health. It worked really good for me. There were times that I idled a fire for 48-60 hours with no tending. My record idle was just shy of 3 full days... and the fire came roaring back to life within 15 minutes of opening the ash door.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Mar. 08, 2022 8:48 pm

Lightning wrote:
Tue. Mar. 08, 2022 3:52 pm
So, when I ran a hand fed a few years ago I would sift the fines out of my nut/stove size mix during the colder parts of the heating season. Then in the shoulder months I would use the fines to "blanket" the top of the fuel bed for low slow burns. The blanket would help contain heat in the fuel bed and keep the fire in a better state of health. It worked really good for me. There were times that I idled a fire for 48-60 hours with no tending. My record idle was just shy of 3 full days... and the fire came roaring back to life within 15 minutes of opening the ash door.
What kind of stove? What air settings?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Mar. 08, 2022 9:32 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Tue. Mar. 08, 2022 8:48 pm
What kind of stove? What air settings?
It was the Clayton 1537 that I modified. Air settings wise, extra secondary air to maintain draft and just a frog hair of primary air for the fire. It idled between -.01and -.03"wc

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Tue. Mar. 08, 2022 10:25 pm

If it mostly dust , after stove is loaded and burning for 1-2 hours just pour 2-3 scoops from side to side it’ll burn with no noticeable difference , rice sized or larger you can sprinkle across the entire bed

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 6:15 am

Lsfarm used to put them in a brown paper bag rolled up tight and tossed them on top of the fire in is 260 Axeman.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 8:33 am

I do seem to remember that way back,in the 80's perhaps,someone developed a Hydraulic Press with a Combustable Binding Additive for making burnable blocks out of fines! For some reason I'm thinking that the Father of The Coal Chubby Stove,Larry Trainer,may have been involved in this. My Alzheimers sez "I Dunno' "....

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 9:02 am

Binder…molasses.

In my travels working the construction trades was once a electric furnace for melting scrap stainless steel to be cast into slab shapes. Anyways, the pollution precipitator which captured all the smoke/dust particles from the electrical arc furnace were collected in a large bag-house.

This collected dust was then transferred and mixed with molasses and pressed into briquettes which were then returned back into the furnace.

This process repeated over and over which over much time enriched the concentration of rare minerals which had great value and was sold at a profit that did pay for the whole cost of the operation plus rid the operator of a otherwise hazardous waste.

I know this is probably too much information…sorry. 😕

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 9:18 am

fig wrote:
Tue. Mar. 08, 2022 12:17 pm

Can I box or bag up anthracite fines and burn them like I do bituminous fines? I’ve got a lot.
======================================================================================================

Our newest eastern snowstorm has just arrived.

you can quickly use them up by mixing them with crushed matchlight charcoal and pouring the mix in a toilet paper tube or a paper towel tube and wrap the tube in a half sheet of newsprint and taping it shut if you have a Lowes bucket with a lid to store them in or use a plastic coal bag to crush up the match light briquettes with a 4-pound hammer. I keep my match light briquettes in a Lowes bucket with a lid to store them and it keeps them from drying out.

Pouring molasses in the paper towel or toilet paper tube after its filled with fines and match light or just the fines will guarantee it will fire off due to the concentrated sugars if you have a fire already. If you are starting a new fire mixing the fines with the crushed matchlight and molasses and wrapping it in a 1/4 sheet or half sheet of newsprint and stuffing it right in the coal and then lighting it and letting it burn for a few minutes before you turn the combustion fan on too.

lzaharis

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 9:25 am

Hambden Bob wrote:
Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 8:33 am
I do seem to remember that way back, in the 80's perhaps, someone developed a Hydraulic Press with a Combustable Binding Additive for making burnable blocks out of fines! For some reason I'm thinking that the Father of The Coal Chubby Stove,Larry Trainer,may have been involved in this. My Alzheimers sez "I Dunno' "....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Bob,

The chinese have a coal stove that uses a crazy way burn coal fines. They use a compactor to compress the coal dust into a
honeycomb barrel shaped die with holes in the perimeter and center like the bullet holder on a revolver and stack the blocks on top of each other to heat the small homes in the remote villages there.

The ceramic stoves they made had up to five passages for the coal dust blocks to burn the coal to cook with, make heat and hot water.

The pictures I downloaded to show them here cannot be uploaded for some reason GRRR

The alibaba web site has a video of a honeycomb coal fines press working and more pictures.

The link I have for the coal press is www.ainuok.com

Attachments

chinese coal-stove-e151456731595.jpg
.JPG | 78.7KB | chinese coal-stove-e151456731595.jpg
Last edited by lzaharis on Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 9:38 am

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 9:02 am
Binder…molasses.

In my travels working the construction trades was once a electric furnace for melting scrap stainless steel to be cast into slab shapes. Anyways, the pollution precipitator which captured all the smoke/dust particles from the electrical arc furnace were collected in a large bag-house.

This collected dust was then transferred and mixed with molasses and pressed into briquettes which were then returned back into the furnace.

This process repeated over and over which over much time enriched the concentration of rare minerals which had great value and was sold at a profit that did pay for the whole cost of the operation plus rid the operator of a otherwise hazardous waste.

Neet ! I have never herd of this. I used to work in the Electrostatic precipitater industry.I had built, tested, and to some small amount designed the high voltage transformers that were used in the collector plates in the power industry.
Funny thing is that Bill Clinton was part of the clean air shut down, as they were trying to phase out the coal fire generating plants in the 90's. Needless to say they shut us down.I worked in that industry for 29 years, just 1 year short of a full lay off pension. Had to start a new life at 48. Not to mention that my wife developed terminal cancer the same year. So I lost my job and my wife the same year. All that I had left was my car and my house.
But life is soo much better now.

gardener

Post by gardener » Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 10:04 am

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 9:02 am
I like it, more the merrier.
lzaharis wrote:
Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 9:25 am
Hey Bob,

The chinese have a coal stove that uses a crazy way burn coal fines. They use a compactor to compress the coal dust into a
honeycomb barrel shaped die with holes in the perimeter and center like the bullet holder on a revolver and stack the blocks on top of each other to heat the small homes in the remote villages there.

The ceramic stoves they made had up to five passages for the coal dust blocks to burn the coal to cook with, make heat and hot water.

The pictures I downloaded to show them here cannot be uploaded for some reason GRRR

The alibaba web site has a video of a honeycomb coal fines press working and more pictures.

The link I have for the coal press is www.ainuok.com
They are able to compact it without a binder?

lzaharis

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 10:08 am

Apparently they do not need one as the flywheel generates enough force to mangle everything that drops into the dies at each stroke for each block to create a consistant weight and size block of various designs and sizes.

The coal it self looks like bituminous though but the air passages in the briquettes help it burn cleaner.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 5:44 pm

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Wed. Mar. 09, 2022 6:19 pm

Wow. Thanks for the info. 👍

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”