Hitzer 254 air controls

pantosketcham
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Anthamax 14 & 15. DS Circulator 1300. Hitzer 254.
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Baker's Choice Wood Cookstove

Post by pantosketcham » Sat. Mar. 05, 2022 6:34 pm

The day finally arrived and it was worth the wait. We installed the 254 in my mother in-law's apartment this afternoon and had one small wood fire to start the breaking in process. Because of the time of the year (and how much coal we have left) we may just burn wood for the remainder of the heating season. Here's my question for you Hitzer owners out there - what are your recommendations for the air controls for burning wood? I am just familiar with DS stoves which don't have the air slots on the ash door. Do I need to put a paper clip on the flap on the back air vent so it wont' close completely and cause a puffback? Or would keeping the front slots open suffice? The dial regulator on the Hitzer definitely has a different feel and look - and a lot more number settings? Thanks Hitzer owners/fans - I am excited to be running one now too. Pete

pantosketcham

Post by pantosketcham » Sun. Mar. 06, 2022 6:56 am

Here's a picture of the stove.

Attachments

IMG_2472.jpg
.JPG | 47.2KB | IMG_2472.jpg

biggerpatterson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: New natural gas hot air furnace inst, 2020

Post by biggerpatterson » Sun. Mar. 06, 2022 7:54 am

Tried burning wood in the 30-95 one time. I didn't care for the mess it made on the glass in the door. Coal only for me. It's going to be 70 * here today. Window stats will be set to max open. I also have a fan that fits in a window if needed.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Mar. 06, 2022 9:47 am

pantosketcham wrote:
Sun. Mar. 06, 2022 6:56 am
Here's a picture of the stove.
How long did it take to burn the stink off of it? I guess we should call it the new stove smell. :clap:

pantosketcham

Post by pantosketcham » Sun. Mar. 06, 2022 10:57 am

On the third burn now. Stink is still there but just barely. Didn't take too long and wasn't too terrible.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Mar. 06, 2022 6:03 pm

Coal only for me too. That being said, crack your ashpan vents a little. you can play with between round (Full Moon), and less (example: Half Moon shape). If I were going to burn wood in my 254 for any amount of time, I'd probably add over fire air. That being said; Both Hoytman, and myself have noticed a little over fire air on our stoves. It comes up from behind the fire brick. These are multi fuel stoves. So maybe the air coming up from behind the fire brick is by design, Don't Know. Great little Stove. I like mine. The small wood fires are what you want for seasoning the cast iron grates. 3 or 4 fires, with each one being a little more intense should do the trick.

I'll be darned; Looks like you have a built in damper on your exhaust, instead of having a damper rod sticking out the front. Is your stove a fan model, or radiant model?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 06, 2022 6:42 pm

Bt God--they're awful purty brand new!! :) +1 on what oliver power said.

pantosketcham

Post by pantosketcham » Sun. Mar. 06, 2022 8:14 pm

Hello Oliver and Fred -

Yes it is very nice when it is all new and shiny - enjoying this while it lasts. This model is the radiant model. What you are seeing is a double wall pipe MPD and it came with the pipe and not the stove. When I do get to coal, here's a question, because the firebox is a little shallower than what I am used to, should I bank the coal bed to the back up the bricks? Thanks. Pete

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Mar. 06, 2022 8:38 pm

pantosketcham wrote:
Sun. Mar. 06, 2022 8:14 pm
Hello Oliver and Fred -

Yes it is very nice when it is all new and shiny - enjoying this while it lasts. This model is the radiant model. What you are seeing is a double wall pipe MPD and it came with the pipe and not the stove. When I do get to coal, here's a question, because the firebox is a little shallower than what I am used to, should I bank the coal bed to the back up the bricks? Thanks. Pete
Banking up to the top of firebrick is ok for that little extra burn time (If Needed). Both Hoytman & Myself have found staying down 2-1/2 to 3 inches on the back firebrick, and level to the front, and side to side gives a more consistent powdery like shake down, with easy shaking. it goes an easy 12 hours. I go 24 hours with mine. There is a whole thread on this. See if I can post it here for you. Try Here.... Newbie with Hitzer 254... help?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”