UK gas/electricity prices

Blackburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Dunsley Highlander
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut

Post by Blackburn » Sat. Feb. 26, 2022 4:30 am

Hello everyone,

Just a snapshot of what is happening with prices in the UK. My natural gas price per therm has risen by 174% in just over 12 months. Electricity 83% over the same period. There's nothing anyone can do, as there are no cheaper deals with any different suppliers. This is combined with diesel and petrol up 54% over the same timeframe. You folks in the US are lucky.........still got it pretty cheap, but for how long? :o

Thankfully, price per ton of anthracite is only up around 10%. I'll be stocking up!

Cheers,
David.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Feb. 26, 2022 6:59 am

Can you buy firewood reasonable?

Blackburn

Post by Blackburn » Sat. Feb. 26, 2022 7:34 am

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 26, 2022 7:42 am

Damn B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Feb. 26, 2022 8:35 am

THANKS JOE!!!

kodadog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Li'L Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Comfort Max
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Nut
Other Heating: fuel oil

Post by kodadog » Sat. Feb. 26, 2022 8:38 am

Blackburn wrote:
Sat. Feb. 26, 2022 4:30 am
Hello everyone,

Just a snapshot of what is happening with prices in the UK. My natural gas price per therm has risen by 174% in just over 12 months. Electricity 83% over the same period. There's nothing anyone can do, as there are no cheaper deals with any different suppliers. This is combined with diesel and petrol up 54% over the same timeframe. You folks in the US are lucky.........still got it pretty cheap, but for how long? :o

Thankfully, price per ton of anthracite is only up around 10%. I'll be stocking up!

Cheers,
David.
The same is happening here. Our electric here rose 130% since last month. Natural gas has almost tripled this season. And our Petrol on its way to doubling if not worse. This is a global problem caused by ****** *******. Not that lucky. So grass not greener on other side of the pond.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sun. Feb. 27, 2022 11:30 pm

Blackburn wrote:
Sat. Feb. 26, 2022 4:30 am
Hello everyone,

Cheers,
David.
Blackburn, where does your anthracite come from?

Blackburn

Post by Blackburn » Mon. Feb. 28, 2022 10:10 am

Hi Charles,

As far as I'm aware, it's mined by two different companies in South Wales. Celtic energy and Energybuild mining. It's claimed by the latter that they mine 'the only source of high grade anthracite in Western Europe'. How true this is, I do not know. Energybuild are looking to excavate 40 million tonnes over the next 20 years.

Information is sketchy though, regarding which site the Anthracite I use originates from, as I buy from a coal merchant. If I ask, he just replies 'Wales' :D

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Feb. 28, 2022 3:26 pm

All S wales coal is very good. I burned it for years in a big tortoise stove and a Rayburn. I used to use phurnacite is well when the dust came from Wales coal but when it moved to Poland coal it was not nearly as good. With these crazy energy prices add a AGA or Rayburn and use it for DHW as well. Use at least 11/4" iron pipes for thermal feed to a tank holding upstairs (hot towels are great) These are still available in England at throw away prices if you search. Our Rayburn ran 12 months a year just fabulous and gave us all the DHW we ever needed. Use it as a kitchen stove like sunny here does. As phurnacite is not what it was (as far as I know) nut sized Anthracite is great. Avoid N England coal. Visits to my first wifes inlaws in Donny (you know where Donny is) as Harold worked in the mines as a carpenter so he got it for free and that was all it was worth. I burn well over 15 tons a year of rice coal with a little nut (big farm). Saves me a fortune. PA anthracite is mostly just fabulous and mostly ignored by the masses ... you can't fix stupid. This energy crisis is going to last for years so get moving, even the stupid wake up eventually.

Blackburn

Post by Blackburn » Wed. Mar. 02, 2022 9:15 am

Thanks for your reply, an interesting post. I have a feeling an AGA or Rayburn may be something worth looking at, as my gas boiler is fast becoming redundant. DHW is all it currently supplies.

I've never burned Phurnacite, as it's prohibitively expensive, and reviews are mixed. It would be $770 a ton, 45% more than nut. Reckon I burn 2 tons of nut a year, but my sq footage would be much less than yourself!

We can't get Bit coal from Yorkshire now, (not that I'd burn it anyhow) I think the majority of it comes in via Columbia, that stuff is fantastic, I've burned it in an open fire in the past, and it flies. Sadly though, the open grate had to go, too inefficient. I wouldn't be without my two stoves now though, best thing I've bought for my house!

Cheers,

David.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Mar. 02, 2022 4:06 pm

IN the North of England that tends to be cooler and damper, 12 months a year of Rayburns or AGAs are just the ticket. Cooking costs are real soooo. This AGA setup operates by convection so no pumps. Ahhh, the wife used to put a Walls steak and kidney pie in the oven at lunchtime. On my way home a glass container bought at the pub of Gales ESB to wash it down with mashed peas from the chippie, then off for a game of squash. I am sure there are good real ales in Blackburn to dull the pain of league relegation. The upstairs tank is enclosed and can even be used to dry clothes. Now your energy costs come tumbling down. I am 77 and still kicking and we have thousands of breweries in this part of Orange county. I don't know why I am alive as I get nothing for lifestyle. Open grates are very inefficient. Today heating oil went up 15% and that is just today. My heating costs are are 18% of what they would cost with HO

good luck David

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Mar. 02, 2022 5:14 pm

download/file.php?id=90237

An 1860 Baltimore heater just for bitter cold nights

Wal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Deville 600 , Colombian stove works morning star nu22
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross garnet mica baseburner double heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite / smokeless ovoids
Other Heating: Gas central heating / antique cast iron radiators

Post by Wal » Thu. Mar. 03, 2022 9:06 am

Hi , Just been shopping around for nut anthracite as the supplier from where I bought it now charges £425 per tonne !!! So after a hour on the internet looking at prices I managed to purchase a tonne for £360 . Also bought 1/2 tonne of burnwell + smokeless ovoids for £155 to burn in my other 2 stoves . Prices are expensive my original supplier from wales has upped his price by £70 , and the majority of coal merchants are charging anything from £60 to £100 for delivery depending from where you live ! Coal may be king , but at the prices they are charging it’s going to be really cold before you consider keeping your stoves running all throughout the winter 🥶.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Thu. Mar. 03, 2022 9:57 am

The price gouging is one reason I fill the tank in the wifes car when it gets down to 3/4
as it does not sting as much.

The car has a turbo in it so it is a bit of an oinker in city driving which is all we do now.

I am just glad I bought bumper to bumper maintenance for this used car as it saved me
the $2000.00++ expense of new 4 new brakes including rotors and pads, brake fluid,
left front wheel speed sensor, left front wheel bearing and a new battery.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Mar. 03, 2022 10:48 am

The grass is not greener on this side of the fence it is just brown on both side of the fence. Due to banning Russia from ports and shipping lines oil at $150 a barrel is a given we just don't realize that yet and that means gas at $7 to $9 a gallon and HO at $7 is probably a given to. This will cause demand destruction and that means a big recession.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”